Author Topic: UK Votes to Leave EU / British Snap Elections (merged threads)  (Read 5516 times)

Re: UK Votes to Leave EU / British Snap Elections (merged threads)
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 159
Casperian I'm not trying to be naive I'm just saying it's not as one sided as you are portraying. At this juncture noone on Europe wants another recession. Politically I can absolutely see the advantages of trying to kill Britain and set an example. Economically it is better to make the right deal. Business will be a big driver in this. I don't expect Britain to come out with a better deal than before, far too much would need to go right for us. When the dust settles and things get serious I would expect something close to what Norway has but with payments more reflective of the size of the British economy and some restrictions on the length of time Europeans can live in Britain with no job. I think that's the most the leave campaign can hope for. And that would have to be seriously fought for as well, it would not be a gimme.

For us it's very important that negotiations don't start now. Not because of the conservative leadership but because right now as a nation we are so divided. I'm 26, my generation feels absolutely screwed by this. We voted 3 to 1 for remain. There is a huge sense that we have been denied the same opportunities as our parents generation by our parents. I feel this as well but I also realise that we are where we are and now we have to get the best deal we can for us. In a few months I think people will come round to this and start to fight to what is the closest to what we had, EEA membership.

Celtics4Ever, sorry I misunderstood your use of the phrase. You're right it's definitely a growing problem. Farage has used the British in the same way Drumpf is using the Americans. The democrats need to seriously wake up to this thread or they will be caught out in the same way. Get Bernie as the running mate and that would shore up the vote I think. Not sure if they're willing to do that just yet though!
EEA membership includes acceptance of (most) EU law, free movement of labor, and contribution to the EU budget. All this without any control over the legislature coined in Brussels. There's no way for the Torys to push for this without committing political suicide.

And EU won't settle for anything less than free movement
Considering that that was one of the mail Brexit issues i don't know how they can find some common ground

I accept that. But remember this was not a 60-40 result. 48% of people voted to remain and you can assume their position would be to get a deal as close to what we had as possible. The 52% who voted leave have a wide spectrum of reasons why they voted to leave. Some for the control over immigration, others for the freedom over the economy, some harking for the days of closer ties to the commonwealth. It is not unreasonable to think a few % at least would back an EEA type deal if given the chance. What is uncertain is if that will even be offered by Brussels. It may be political suicide for whichever Tory implements it however an overwhelming proportion of parliament were in favour of remain so it wouldn't struggle to pass through if the people voted for it.

I admire your optimism, but I can't share it.

This is as much a social issue as it is a business issue. The EU itself could be at stake. That's why it's important to come down hard on them. Besides, if we let them have their way, the UK could be in a position to completely undermine the EU. Article 50 has been designed in a way that pretty much all the negotiating power lies with the EU, and I am certain they will exercise it, as evidenced by Merkel's declaration that there will be no negotiations until you guys invoke it, regardless of what she said right after the result to reassure the world market.
Yeah I can appreciate this. I think I'm not yet ready to give up on the 48% who voted remain. The big issue will be the freedom of movement, if it the final deal Britain still accepts that then the political victory will be for the EU and I think they can come out of it happy that the Union will be intact.
Leave may have won the vote but it certainly does not have a mandate to implement whatever exit strategy they want. I think Europe will see that 48% still wanted to be with them, ultimately it will depend on whether Juncker etc will want to help the 48% or punish the 52%. Choosing the punishment route could end up being just as damaging for the EU, turning their backs on those who have supported them.
- Renegotiate IT
- Draft Fultz
- Extend the life of this core until the young guys are ready

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 887
Other countries may follow suit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/23/these-countries-could-be-next-if-britain-leaves-the-e-u/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/27/frexit-nexit-or-oexit-who-will-be-next-to-leave-the-eu

Iceland wants England to join up with it in a triad of non-union countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-eu-referendum-latest-iceland-norway-greenland-faroe-islands-a7105641.html

We are not Star Trek, Federations and Unions always have controversy and dissent.   I begin to think these world wide federations are the thing of pure science fiction.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 162
@TheSundanceKid

I can 100% relate ... Been there last summer.......

I agree the result was far too close but still that`s how democracy works. 50.1% rules ...You can call it unfair and possibly it is unfair to suffer the consequences of other`s actions , EU doesn`t take into account nothing but the official policy of the country. The percentages are unfortunately irrelevant. So unless UK somehow changes the result (Tsipras can help) i don`t see EU softening. 

It may be political suicide for whichever Tory implements it however an overwhelming proportion of parliament were in favour of remain so it wouldn't struggle to pass through if the people voted for it.

Good luck finding a politician willing to kill his carrier like that. The problem today in Europe is not the crisis itself .... There were and always will be problems... The problem is that there aren`t any leaders to make tough decisions when necessary but only carrier-politicians interested in keeping the power.

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
Klaus Regling (president of ESM)

"Let's see whether the Proposed referendum on United Kingdom membership of the European Union comes at all"

"The vote in the United Kingdom was primarily influenced by emotions. Perhaps the last word on this issue not yet spoken. "

the article in german if anyone is interested :
http://www.wiwo.de/politik/europa/esm-chef-regling-schauen-wir-einmal-ob-der-brexit-ueberhaupt-kommt/13808056.html

I`m starting to think that Brexit ain`t happening which imho is a good thing but it seems that there is a lack of credibility in Europe and complete disrespect to democratic values

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2016, 05:32:28 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
just now
Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

Johnson is out too ..........
They lead to this
Good or bad time will tell but it will be certainly a tough job to lead England the next few years , and the handed the hot potato to anyone else..... Cowards

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 940
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Quote from: TheSundanceKid link=topic=85613.msg2119028#msg2119028
Well I think this is a little uninformed. We are still one of the largest economies in the world, even a decline won't be changing that. Merkel has already come out stating that the divorce needs not be messy. Thanks to America English will continue to be the language of business.

I think you're incredibly naive, but that's your prerogative.
We'll see how much spine Merkel really has when the other nations pressure her. I know my Chancellor enough to believe you're in for a surprise.

If you really believe you can have all the advantages of the EU market, without any of the responsibilities and disadvantages, in other words, have your cake and eat it, too, then let me tell you: we will drink your milkshake.

Here are a few real facts, for those who believe the rethoric about "sound economic reasons" or "citizens concerned about their sovereignty"

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/25/12029786/brexit-uk-eu-immigration-xenophobia

and a nice snapshot of Britain the day after

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clz_0SwWgAALJkd.jpg:large

Ehm, do you have to be so aggressive?

Second and more important, you are grossly misrepresenting what TheSundanceKid wrote.

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
i am not sure if it really makes any difference or it just a formality

Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that the UK government must hold a vote in parliament before beginning the process of leaving the European Union.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/24/europe/brexit-article-50-supreme-court-ruling/

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
i am not sure if it really makes any difference or it just a formality

Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that the UK government must hold a vote in parliament before beginning the process of leaving the European Union.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/24/europe/brexit-article-50-supreme-court-ruling/

Thanks for that.

This further delays the triggering of article 50. The original plan was to trigger article 50 in March and after that it would have taken two additional years for Britain to exit.

Moreover, Labour is already presenting demands for its support of the parliament bill.

There is a good discussion at reddit btw

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
Theresa May will trigger Brexit on March 9

The U.K. government intends to pass legislation allowing it to trigger Article 50 by March 9, the Times reported Tuesday.

Prime Minister Theresa May had said she would formally invoke the two-year mechanism for Britain’s exit from the European Union by the end of March but had declined to reveal an exact date.

May’s government told the House of Lords on Monday it wants its Brexit bill — unveiled last week — approved by March 7, according to the Times. The timing will give May the option of invoking the clause at a March 9 European Council.

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 11:00:58 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
Too many political threads in a basketball forum. Smh. C'mon now.

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo

This thread is from June 2016.

In any case, if you think there is something wrong with it, discuss it with the mods.

By commenting, you just bump the threads you don't want to see.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244

In any case, if you think there is something wrong with it, discuss it with the mods.

I didn't bump a thread, it was at the top when I made my comment as were two other
political threads despite the Celtics having a great win.   I try to avoid these threads, but lately they have been dominating this blog.  I have never made a complaint to a moderator.  If people want to turn this into a political blog, by all means, but I think it stinks.  I take a peak at these threads too often lately as they get a lot of attention .  Yet, I have never seen a productive conversation.  These threads are dominated by hyper partisans from both sides where they praise those with similar thoughts or insult those who disagree.  I have never seen a good conversation.  Just my two cents.  Please, more basketball and less politics.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:48:14 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo

I didn't bump a thread, it was at the top when I made my comment as were two other
political threads despite the Celtics having a great win.   I try to avoid these threads, but lately they have been dominating this blog.  I have never made a complaint to a moderator.  If people want to turn this into a political blog, by all means, but I think it stinks.  I take a peak at these threads too often lately as they get a lot of attention .  Yet, I have never seen a productive conversation.  These threads are dominated by hyper partisans from both sides where they praise those with similar toughts or insult those who disagree.  I have never seen a good conversation.  Just my two cents.  Please, more basketball and less politics.

>I didn't bump a thread, it was at the top when I made my comment as were two other
political threads despite the Celtics having a great win.>

It goes at the top every time someone comments on it. By commenting at it, you help keep it at the Latest Forum Topics (and for the wrong reason).

> I try to avoid these threads>

Please try harder.

You do not understand the difference between a basketball forum and a basketball only forum. This section is called Off Topic for a reason.

I explained this already after your first comment. There are not many threads. This is actually a pretty old thread. I try as hard as I can to keep all relevant info and comments into one thread.  To my mind, this is good ettiquete.

Again, apologies if seeing a current affairs thread in the Latest Forum Topics caused you distress. But the mods are the the people with whom you should discuss this.