Author Topic: UK Votes to Leave EU / British Snap Elections (merged threads)  (Read 5419 times)

Re: UK Votes to Leave EU / British Snap Elections (merged threads)
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 604
Any chance that this change in stance triggers ANOTHER referendum, this time to stay in the EU?  They still have 2 years, things may change
England is already out of many EU mechanisms (the Euro, the Schengen visa agreement, etc.) by virtue of being of the founding members and thus having a good amount of bargaining power. Thus, to the extent to which the UK is already benefiting from a good amount of exceptions, some of the EU leadership seems pretty bitter about this vote and has declared that "out is out". The biggest implication seems to be that the UK will have to leave the common market and negotiate whatever they can negotiate with the EU subsequently. Furthermore, if they ever want back in, they'll be subject to a full-fledged admission procedure which would likely include losing all the opt-out benefits they previously had.

Holy crap.  This is somehow even more of a ****-show than I thought
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1096
 Oh, yes. That makes sense. Boris Johnson and co. are already beating around the bush, saying that "there is no need to invoke Article 50 right away" but I have the feeling that is not going to fly with Brussels.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 159
I agree ... the longer it takes the worst for everyone .. IMHO Brussels wants to play hard so other countries won t follow the same path

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1100
Oh, yes. That makes sense. Boris Johnson and co. are already beating around the bush, saying that "there is no need to invoke Article 50 right away" but I have the feeling that is not going to fly with Brussels.
YUPPP

This hurts the EU as well and letting UK try to claim they might go backsies hurts EU while UK still sits on the tangible benefits at the moment doesn't benefit them. Obviously the panic and uncertainty hurting every major western market atm as people freak out.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 524
Oh, that was to be expected. I was talking about David Cameron.

Just to be sure, as I realize now that this could be taken the wrong way without context, that was cynicism and tongue-in-cheek.

The real problem are obviously the far-right nut cases.
"In Danny we trust" is so 2016.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce
Kind of, I mean this was a completely unforced error by Cameron. He had high ranking Tories telling him so from the very start too.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 524
Kind of, I mean this was a completely unforced error by Cameron. He had high ranking Tories telling him so from the very start too.

Exactly. Still, you never know when you take certain liberties in a language that is not your first.
"In Danny we trust" is so 2016.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce

Exactly. Still, you never know when you take certain liberties in a language that is not your first.
Yeah I don't know who I blame more. UKIP people or Cameron.

UKIP drove it more, but Cameron was PM and should have been more responsible and avoiding a gamble that a popular referendum is. (on almost any topic!)

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 204
What is Calipari thinking!?

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1096
Oh, that was to be expected. I was talking about David Cameron.

Just to be sure, as I realize now that this could be taken the wrong way without context, that was cynicism and tongue-in-cheek.

The real problem are obviously the far-right nut cases.
The thing is there have already been motions to do a revote. But I don't think the UK can do that (or ignore the results, even if nonbinding) and retain any sort of credibility.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 03:52:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
I don`t know how to call this.... tragic or funny ???

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

In germany Die Welt cites a confidential finace ministry report saying that France ,Holland, Austria, Finland will(can) follow England.... One "small" detail is that UK was not part of the Eurozone.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »

Online TheSundanceKid

• Don Chaney
So there's a couple of things to note about this situation:

1) Scottish referendum. There really is no basis for another one. It is desperate opportunism on the part of the SNP. London has a larger population and voted more overwhelmingly to stay in. Whilst rumours have circulated about a city state London in reality that could never happen. Scotland leaving would mean a land border with England, something inconceivable as things currently stand. Scotland would also need to take on the Euro which completely changes their financial models. Furthermore, the impact this result will have on the EU has to be accounted for. Is it going to be a more attractive proposition than staying?

2) There were 2 distinct groups who voted leave. The working class who have felt marginalised and ignored by politicians and globalisation. This was a significant win for them long term. The freedom of movement has evolved in a way that is detrimental to the working man. Secondly there were those who wanted to regain the democracy. These people essentially want more tax control and freedom from things like CAP. Often ignored in the debate was that both of these groups had very legitimate claims. Instead of listening to the root causes people just called them racists and bigots which was unhelpful.

3) Long term the economic picture will recover. I don't doubt that at all. What will be defining about this is how the EU react. If they take the hard-line stance to deter future withdrawals things will get messy quickly. Britain will be left very damaged but the EU will end up the same. There is little room for error from them at the moment with the banking crisis in Italy looming, anti EU feeling across Europe and Greece still a major issue. The other path for them is to reform. Something has to give for the disconnect between politicians and people to disappear.

Already there are 2 sides forming in Europe. Merkel and the eastern countries want to take this slow and rework our relationship, France wants to cut the cord and punish us.

I think people will end up surprised at how effective this exit will be. Behind all the posturing on both sides is a serious need for agreement.

I voted to remain but I was on the fence for quite a while. The vote is done now, there will be a change in the relationship with Europe. What will be interesting is how the leave leaders woo those who voted remain to support their new plan. I for one do not see us isolating ourselves, rather continuing our economic relationship with Europe whilst disentangling ourselves from the political beast theat is the EU.
- Renegotiate IT
- Draft Fultz
- Extend the life of this core until the young guys are ready

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 885
It seems that Nationalism, which is what this was about to some degree (Britian First) is on the rise not just here. I think fear and anti-immigrant sentiment played into this as well.

I used to order a lot from England by since the EU and the VAT, I no longer do so.  I wish that would go by the wayside.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
Immigration was the main issue . at least that`s how it looked to the rest oft Europe.

Already there are 2 sides forming in Europe. Merkel and the eastern countries want to take this slow and rework our relationship, France wants to cut the cord and punish us.

I don`t think that Germany is very eager to do this. Listening to Merkel Schauble and Junger got the impression they want if not to "get back" at UK at least to cut the ties asap

Without any real knowledge of economics i also believe that nothing extremely bad will happen to the UK but i really doubt this will make things significantly better. So far EU leaders don`t seem very eager to change their policies.....

I don`t know how valid is this but i`ve read that there is a movement to cancel the referendum because by law it requires +75% participation and at least 60% majority

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 885