Author Topic: UK votes to leave EU  (Read 3708 times)

UK votes to leave EU
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1009
While we were busy slamming the Jaylen Brown pick, the UK voted to exit the European Union. Wow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

Re: UK votes to leave EU
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1100
One of the Leaders of the Leave campaign has already repudiated one of the major promises as part of the ad campaign and wi****lly referred to "reengaging the commonwealth".

I guess they're selling a return to Empire?

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 527
While we were busy slamming the Jaylen Brown pick, the UK voted to exit the European Union. Wow.

This is huge, and it seems like it will trigger another referendum to have Scotland become independent, too.  And if Scotland leaves, Northern Ireland may think about following suit

The UK may be falling apart in front of our very eyes
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce

This is huge, and it seems like it will trigger another referendum to have Scotland become independent, too.  And if Scotland leaves, Northern Ireland may think about following suit

The UK may be falling apart in front of our very eyes
Yup.

And the Leave leaders are selling the return of the commonwealth as the UK potentially shrinks to just Britain and Wales.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 120
  • In Soviet Russia, FLOOR SPACE YOU!
    • Look! poetry
If Northern Ieraland were to leave, woulf it be to merge with the rest of Ireland, or become their own country?
If you haven't heard Salsa Celtica you haven't heard Salsa

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »

Offline ederson

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
This is going to be the most complicated (and possible the most expensive) divorce ...ever !

Scotland voted to remain in the EU but now they have to leave.... It is funny is a tragic way though... The Brexit side preached "We should be able to decide for our future and not EU for us" .. i wonder what they`ll do with Scotland....

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 228
Wow. That is huge news. I can't believe that. That's going to have some very negative ramifications.

Deff surprising. The Chef who was my mentor is from Great Britain, and he told me yesterday that there was NO WAY they'd vote to leave. Can't wait to see what his reaction is.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 328

A huge deal with global macroeconomic consequences. US stock market will fall today, and Europe and Asia have already fallen.

This is a big mistake. Most of the Leave voters were older, and won't have to deal with the long term consequences.

Also, as other posters pointed out, it is not as simple as "leaving". Now the hard part begins-- the negotiation about how to leave. The so called messy divorce process.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 527
This is going to be the most complicated (and possible the most expensive) divorce ...ever !

Scotland voted to remain in the EU but now they have to leave.... It is funny is a tragic way though... The Brexit side preached "We should be able to decide for our future and not EU for us" .. i wonder what they`ll do with Scotland....

There'll be another referendum for them to separate, and given their support for staying in the EU I think it'll pass this time.  The next few years are going to be very, very interesting in the UK (and Europe as a whole)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce
If Northern Ieraland were to leave, woulf it be to merge with the rest of Ireland, or become their own country?
Who the heck knows. A truly unprecedented political shake up.

All because Cameron made a stupid promise in 2013 to try and outflank the far right in his own coalition. Guess blaming the EU and dog whistling against immigrants turned out to have a cost after all for the Tories.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The EU is a farce and was doomed to fail from its inception.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1309

That will be a referendum put forth.  The Sinn Fein party has already said they will do so.

My guess is yes, because Ireland is part of the EU, so Northern Ireland could just join automatically, unlike Scotland, which would have to apply and potentially go through a stage of preliminary membership.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1276
Not really up to speed on global politics. Could someone summarize what kind of ramifications this could have? It'd be much appreciated.
Quote from:  Robert Frost
I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Paul Pierce
Not really up to speed on global politics. Could someone summarize what kind of ramifications this could have? It'd be much appreciated.
UK will have to renegotiate a ton of trade treaties and immigration pacts with EVERYONE as they are all done via EU now.

Economic damage to UK will likely be substantial, Northern Ireland and Scotland could both leave the UK.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1309
UK will have to renegotiate a ton of trade treaties and immigration pacts with EVERYONE as they are all done via EU now.

Economic damage to UK will likely be substantial, Northern Ireland and Scotland could both leave the UK.

Even London is trying to find a way to separate.  It's crazy.