30 (35.7%)
C
20 (23.8%)
D
10 (11.9%)
F
7 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Your Celtics Draft grade  (Read 8702 times)

Re: Your Celtics Draft grade
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
B-, but we won't really know for a couple years.

-Brown at #3 is an OK pick, but I feel that it was a big mistake to pass on Philly's offer, and I feel that it was a mistake to pass on Bender. Brown might have been available at #7, and we could've traded up for him.
-Yab at #16 seems like an okay pick, but unfortunately Ainge passed on Wade Baldwin (who probably should have gone top 10).
-Similarly, Zizic at #23 is a good pick in a vaccuum, but we passed on Korkmaz, Luwawu, and Onuaku.
-Trading #'s 31+35 for a lottery protected first seems like a mistake with Onuaku, Qi, and Davis on the board.
-Jackson at #45 is great value.

Overall, the C's came out of the draft with a bunch of good prospects, and I'm sure that at least one of these picks will look great down the line. However, I feel that we missed some opportunities to hit home runs.

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Against my expectations? C+/B-.

I came into this draft fully expecting we would turn that #3 pick into big time assets from Philly. The fact that we werent able to make any trades to add impact players made me very dissapointed. That said, I have no problem with the kids that they did draft. At 16, I would have preferred Luwawe or Korkmaz,  but I like everything Ive seen from yabusele, at 23 I was pleased with Zizic. I really like Davis, but he fell really far so Id imagine theres something about him that I missed.

At 45 Demetrius was a steal and Bentil was a nice value late as well. Love the picks, but still dissapointed we didnt make a move.

Im not blaiming Ainge here. Im glad he didnt make a bad move just to make a move, but based on my expectations I cant go higher than a B-.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I voted B....but i feel it was more like a B+.

My previous thread Draft 2016: Ainge A+ (or whatever it was called) was quoting the FOX sports article which I provided a link for.    My hope going in was that we would land Butler and my secondary hope was that we would draft Bender.  I did like Brown and certainly see how he fits and is more "ready to play" than picks like Bender.  I also wasn't thinking about cap space leading up to the draft.

I'm glad Ainge didn't take on Noel for the 3rd pick....to me that really bad value.  And I don't think we could have gotten Butler for any of the rumors (3rd [Dunn], Crowder, Bradley and future 1st)

2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Looks to me that the Celtics added 6 assets to the ledger -- 5 legitimate NBA prospects and a future #1 (probable) pick.  I'd trade all of it for Ben Simmons and probably for Brandon Ingram, but based solely on what the C's came away with I think the C's may have just completed a historically positive draft.  I'm pretty sure there has never been a team that has  selected 5 NBA rotation (or better) players in one draft (plus a future player).   I think that's what Ainge just did.  A.

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
C.

Brown was a fine pick at three, but I think Bender was the better long term bet, while Dunn would've been better as a trade chip. Murray or Hield would've made a bigger difference on the floor in the short term.

Yabu and Zizic feel like reaches to me, and I don't believe that those were the best players on the board at those spots.  Luwawu, Korkmaz, Jones, Davis... There are plenty of other directions I would've been more excited to see the team look with those picks.

What I really wanted to see with those other firsts was a trade back up into the top ten. Hard to believe the Celts couldn't have outbid Sacramento. If the Celts really liked Chriss as reported, they could've come away with two super upside prospects from this draft. Instead, a couple role player stashes.

The trade at 31 and 35 was bad, in my view. Those early second round picks are really valuable in my eyes. Instead of picking up a couple nice, cost controlled pieces there, Ainge decided to fiercely protect the vaunted cap space and flexibility, and kicked the can down the road to maybe, maybe get a first round pick in a future draft that might not be nearly as deep as this one.

Jackson and Bentil seem like fine flyers to take late in the draft. I'm fine with those picks.

Overall, not how I would've liked to see this draft go.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
3- jaylen brown
I feel like he was the 2nd best prospect, to Dunn. And understand that brown fits more with our team because of our many guards.
 After  hearing isiah Thomas enthusiasm for him, I'm liking him much more. Thomas is a smart basketball mind and known to be able to have an eye for talent. Draft picks he has drafted Tracy mcgrady, Trevor Ariza, changing frye, David lee, Nate Robinson.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/55772/isiah-thomas-ranked-best-draft-gm

He's the smartest player in the draft, has the physical tools and is one of the most athletic prospects. So he has a high potential. People compare him to kawhii Leonard as they have similar strengths and weaknesses coming out of college. But kawhii is bigger, longer wingspan, more athletic and was a much better defender than brown. So  I'm thinking more justise Winslow. Though Winslow was more NBA ready.

Grade = A

16 - guerschon yabusele
From the limited footage I saw of him, I'm kind of 50/50 as I saw him play good as well as really bad. He's definitely a player in the draymond green mood. Though undersized he has great wingspan. He can shoot it from 3P line well. He needs to work on his defensive rebounding and polish his offense moves. Sometimes he struggled against taller guys rebounding and scoring. Also watching him on video, I thought he looked fat like Anthony Bennett. Probably draft and stash but heard that he would be moving to the B team after this season so it won't be good for his development. I thought he would be an early 2nd rounder and with all the talented that slipped it is hard not seeing this as a reach. Ainge probably worked out the Memphis trade because he did not want more picks so he knew he wouldn't have the 2nd rounder to pick him so he picked him early.

Grade = C

23 - Ante zizic
Great rebounder, good motor, physical, good size, possible draft and stash but can play right away

Grade = A

45 - Demetrius Jackson
Good value as we grab a 1st round player in 2nd rounder. I don't really like him but can see him as a rotation player on the bench.

Grade = B-

51 - Ben bentil

Needs to work on his defense and rebounding. I don't really like him but people are saying he is a steal.

Grade = C-

58 - Abdel Nader
Don't know him

Grade = NA

Overall Grade = B-