30 (35.7%)
C
20 (23.8%)
D
10 (11.9%)
F
7 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Your Celtics Draft grade  (Read 8670 times)

Re: Your Celtics Draft grade
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This may be a little off subject but I had to watch the draft on ESPN because CSN was blocked down here in Florida. Every time they showed the Celtics draft room everyone looked morose just sitting around looking sad and uninvolved. I never even saw Brad Stevens. Was he there? I saw the 2 owners near Danny. They occasionally showed other team draft rooms and everyone was attentive and perky and clapping as they decided on a pick. was it different on CSN? Did I just see a few bad camera shot times?

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
D

I'm so tired of hearing about assets and what we are going to do with them. The answer is always nothing.

Next, they will tell you we have cap space. Based on history, I doubt we land a big name. We just never do.

Stevens needs to get focused on playing and developing these young players. Let Turner walk and let Brown start.
We haven't had a rookie average 10+ a game since Pierce (1998). That's pathetic! 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This may be a little off subject but I had to watch the draft on ESPN because CSN was blocked down here in Florida. Every time they showed the Celtics draft room everyone looked morose just sitting around looking sad and uninvolved. I never even saw Brad Stevens. Was he there? I saw the 2 owners near Danny. They occasionally showed other team draft rooms and everyone was attentive and perky and clapping as they decided on a pick. was it different on CSN? Did I just see a few bad camera shot times?

I think the Celtics were prepared enough for it to be a pretty basic "Who's next on our big board? Okay, Pick him".  We had enough picks to work out and have an idea about every single player in the draft, so (with the exception of possible trade calls) I think they had nothing to really do
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I gave it a C. Would have done the 76ers trade in a heartbeat.

Brown could become Paul George ... or he could be Kedrick Brown and be out of the league at the end of his rookie deal.

Noel has already proven he can play, he would have given us an athletic big man who can play defense and run the floor, and he's still got plenty of room to improve.

Covington would have been a versatile big man off the bench who can also play defense and really shoot the three.

Celtics also could have used the 24 and 26 exactly as Philly did, with excellent draft and stash guys Luwawu and Korkmaz.

There's a chance that all four of those guys could end up with more useful NBA careers than Brown.

To be fair, none of those guys will be a star, and Brown could turn into one, so in that way I see the logic. Just don't agree with it.
agree with what you've stated about the trade although I gave the draft an F.  I expected something far more dramatic than what occurred and I have to admit I'd have made the Philly deal especially with Luwawu and Korkmaz still on the board for those 2 later picks. 

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
B

Wouldve preferred Dunn at 3 but fine with Brown. My real concern with drafting Brown is the risk, it is very big, but if he pans out it is a great draft unlike if we drafted hield or Murray. No. 16 I wanted Valentine but he was taken 2 spots ahead. Zizic I really liked. I also liked both Bentil and Jackson.

Agree almost word for word with this if you swap Hield for Dunn.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
For me, our most valuable pick was the 3 and if Brown was going to be the choice, which he was, and we know the Suns and Wolves had no interest in him, and maybe even the NO team as well, we should have traded down and acquired more assets.

I dont agree with Brown as a 3rd choice..guess I will need to pray he learns to shoot against other players in a game situation and not just in an " amazing" private practice.

For me the blunder of Pick 3 deserves a score of F for the draft....I like the pick of Zizic and maybe in a few years, the draft grade might change based on his performance and maybe Brown does learn to shoot and becomes a top player from the draft..who knows..but now, we screwed that pick up on so many levels and unless I hear the Suns or Wolves wanted Brown and he was their pick, there is absolutely zero reason we take him at 3 without some sort of move

F For Friday...F for the Draft

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Solid B.

Jaylen is a risky pick but he has elite athleticism.  If he figures out his shot he's a star wing player in this league.  And the Association doesn't have a lot of star wing players.

Yabusele.  I got blindsided by this pick.  Thought we'd take him in round 2 if we did with one of our many 2nd round picks.  At second look, physically he is a man-beast.  Very strong, ripped, moves well for his size.  Can score inside and outside.  Will be stashed.

Zizic.  Has excellent size and length at 6'11 254 lbs.  Great rebounder.  Scored well on the inside in the Adriatic league.  Might be a stash.  Doesn't exhibit an outside game at this point.

D-Jax and Bentil are great 2nd round pickups. 

Demetrius Jackson in particular was pegged as a first round talent.  Fast, good handle, willing passer.  Carried Notre Dame at times, so I like his leadership.  PG is not a need but the value is too good to pass up.

Bentil is a scoring machine.  Inside, outside, what have you.  Drew over 7 FTAs per game.
Put up 21+ ppg for providence in his sophomore year while bumping up his percentages across the board -- 43.6->46.2 2p% 30->32.9 3p% 69.5->78.2% FT.  If he keeps improving at that rate he is going to be a keeper.

Really like our 2nd round picks this year.

So, no fireworks, but a lot of solid prospects, with one potential star player in JB, and others who could snag rotation or even starting roles on our team if they blossom.

Now the story turns to free agency.  Can Danny and Brad woo some free agent stars to don the Celtic green?

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
It is hard to grade without knowing the results of free agency.  If we land KD and a stud big then this draft looks better, as of now I give it a D.

I think Dunn and others have a much greater shot at being a star than Brown.  I really despise pick 16, total reach with LOTS of quality other guys available.

I expected a defensive big who could help immediately or a project like Skal.  I would have kept Davis.  I would have liked someone like Stone.

Jackson and Bentil are guys I wanted, maybe one of them gets a little run at some point.

If we get KD and/or Brown becomes the next Kawhi or Butler then this is amazing, I simply don't see it as likely.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
C

Jaylen was a good pick. We essentially rolled over the next four. Disappointing.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
to be fair, the Pacers got a D for drafting Myles Turner

again, I am not saying Brown could be a home run, but before the naysayers lose their ****, how about you see the kid play first before making some a dumb judgement

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tell how you would give it an A then?

and if you put out your list some may agree and some won't. 

This thread is pure subjective . That is all

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I gave Danny a B, if there was a + option would of said B+.  At the time without knowing what his intentions were I didn't like what they did as well, after thinking about it I began to like it more and more.

The Euro stashes were fine a big upside guy in Yabu and a solid hard nosed center in Zizic.

Didn't get the trade of #31 and #35 at the time , but now I think that was also a smart move.  Might have had to give those guys Mickey like contracts and needed to get rid of some of the picks anyway.

Jackson and Bentil are really good value late in the draft.  Maybe hit on 1 of those.

The only thing that bugs me is that they couldn't find a trade down to pick Brown.  If the C's would have chosen Dunn or Bender, Brown likely falls at least to #6 both times and maybe to #8 both times.  Taking Brown probably crushed all trade talks at that point.  If you wanted Brown you would think you force someone's hand between #4 and #7 by taking either Bender or Dunn.  Reportedly there were talks also with Denver at #7.  Maybe not though without being there it is impossible to know. 

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I gave it an A.  the only pick I complained about was Brown over Dunn, but I know squat, so let's see.
I love all the other picks (don't know the final guy).

But Danny gets an A for not allowing the Sixers a massive jumpstart on their pursuit of a quality team by denying them Dunn.  Thank you Danny for not doing that dumb trade. 

I'm sure Philly also tried to get Dunn from Minny for some other sort of cruddy deal, or maybe they didn't call because they knew not to even try. 

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
B-

I like Brown but think we could have more by taking Dunn and trading down and still draft Brown.

I think Ainge got outmaneuvered by Phoenix for Chriss. 

High Expectations for Ainge and crew, but little performance in trades.  I like Jackson and Bentil picks.   I think Ante could be better than Dragan.   Yabu we probably could have got at 23.

I also think other teams bet us up on undrafted free agents.   I would have liked to see us sign Kyle Wiltjer for summer league or Van Fleet.

This grade could improve if the players play better than expected.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was convinced that if all our "big swing" options (Middleton, Hayward, Jabari Parker, and to a lesser extent Butler), we'd grab Okafor over selecting one of the players available to us at #3.   I read multiple people say that Okafor is a vastly superior prospect to the 3rd-tier prospects available in the 3-8 range (basically interchangeable prospects with no consensus top option).   The only reason I could see us avoiding a trade for Okafor is if we had expectations of filling our big man needs through free agency.

We took Jaylen Brown. 

I'm fully on board.  Ainge and his team are smart.  If they like this kid more than Okafor, he must be pretty impressive.  I wouldn't dare pretend to know more than Ainge and his team know.  He seems to fit with what we are doing.  He doesn't add to the guard log jam.  We still have open spots for landing a big via free agency.  He'll be a fit whether we sign Durant or not.  And he was one of the top high schoolers from his class... he probably has a ton of potential.  Only 19 years old.  I'm pumped to see him develop.

As for the other guys, I don't really care.  Most guys 16-60 don't amount to anything anyways.  We don't really have the roster spots for them.  Taking draft-and-stash prospects makes sense.  We aren't committing money to anyone.  We are maintaining double-max cap space.  It's a win.

The goal is to try to land Durant and another max free agent.   Even if it's a longshot, we need to make our moves with that goal in mind.  So with that said, I'm giving the draft an A+.