30 (35.7%)
C
20 (23.8%)
D
10 (11.9%)
F
7 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Your Celtics Draft grade  (Read 8705 times)

Re: Your Celtics Draft grade
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's hard to pick a grade.  I hated the Brown pick which was the most important one.  After doing some research I can see why he picked Yab, but it's going to really suck if Ellenson turns out to be a player.  Love the Zizic pick.  I'd probably would give it a C at this point, with the potential for it to turn out as high as an A in a year or two.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Call me after 3-5 years. Draft picks value won't really show until then. These draft grades are nothing but mere speculations. I'd rather see actual productions on the league then grade it afterwards.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Call me after 3-5 years. Draft picks value won't really show until then. These draft grades are nothing but mere speculations. I'd rather see actual productions on the league then grade it afterwards.
If you have to wait 3 years to know it was a good draft then it was a bad draft. This draft needed to be impactful. Now. In this year.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:27 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Grade-F.  DA did nothing with all his assets.  My hope was they would make that next step to a championship contender by using this draft as a starting point and FA signings to put them back in contention for a title.  If anything DA wasted the C's assets.  Very disappointing. 

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 08:26:50 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If you have to wait 3 years to know it was a good draft then it was a bad draft. This draft needed to be impactful. Now. In this year.
So based off that, all teams fail basically b/c they NBA ready talent in most drafts is pretty scarce.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So based off that, all teams fail basically b/c they NBA ready talent in most drafts is pretty scarce.
No. It depends on the situation you're in.  Sometimes a stash does great. Sometimes your window is very far away.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This draft with all of our assets and the thoughts of trading assets for players and free agency. So far we have fallen on our face. We actually so far took a step back in our progress IMO. They will now get a Horford for max money and we will continue in mediocrity and falling in the first round. Indiana on the other hand actually did some things with their assets and now are serious contenders. Can we trade Ainge for Larry?

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
F minus ......and that's being fair ......he should,be fired.

Complete screw up .

Not a thing that helps the Celtics this year .

Heck , if he is scared to spend money or challenge LeBron ......then might as well have taken Bender ......wait another 5 years and hope LeBron breaks his leg or something.

I would leave if I was Stevens

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
B.

I'm fine with most of the picks. Don't know much about Yabusele. Zizic was good value at #23.

Let's face it: Those of us who rely on mock drafts for a guess as to where things will fall were shocked more than once last night. Not saying that's good or bad, just surprised.

I was not onboard the trade for Noel train. He's got one year left on his contract. If we want him, we can go for him then. #3 for one year of Noel and filler was not worth it for me.

Disappointed in asset utilization but, if nobody's making the trades, not much you can do. #31 and #35 for a possible future #1 was disappointing.

I was not on DA's phone. I have no idea which, if any, of the trade rumors were true. Based on what we've done in the past, I'm guessing that we were asking too much for most teams. If the Butler trade was for AB or JC plus #3 and we didn't take it, this draft immediately goes to a D, at best. If it was for two Nets picks plus three starters, I'd rather Danny stay in Chipotle for the night.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I guess George, Wall and Derozan were busts by that standard.

I don't know what's the rush with competing for banner 18. We are close to it but not ready by any means. It looks like Ainge's history of robbery trades set your standards high. We still don't have an established superstar.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
F minus ......and that's being fair ......he should,be fired.

Complete screw up .

Not a thing that helps the Celtics this year .

Heck , if he is scared to spend money or challenge LeBron ......then might as well have taken Bender ......wait another 5 years and hope LeBron breaks his leg or something.

I would leave if I was Stevens

How many of these guys not named Simmons are going to contribute more than Jaylen Brown in year one, and have the same long term potential? I understand if you wanted to trade the pick, but we were not privy to what occurred in those negotiations. We think we're experts b/c we can read twitter. A great negotiator knows when to walk away from the table. Danny has proven his ability to maximize return on trades (see: Brooklyn trade, Dallas trade, Phoenix trade).

Btw, what were fans thinking when Kawhi, Jimmy B., and Draymond got drafted? I think its obvious that coaches/scouts saw more than casual fans in those instances. Jaylen Brown is assumed to have more potential than those 3 at similar points in their development.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I love it. A for me.

A swing for the fences pick that is 3 or 4 years younger than Dunn and Hield.  I liked both Dunn and Hield but they aren't a great position of need.  Bender was just a mystery for me.

However the major reason I love the draft is we may have only 1 rookie on the roster next year giving us the roster space to be aggressive in FA.  Brown and the roster from this past season is already 15 players.  Amir, JJ, Turner, Sully, and Zeller's contract status with only 1 rookie allows us to upgrade part of those 5 players while keeping the rest.  If we can upgrade our frontcourt in FA I really like our team next year.  The more rookies we had the harder the roster management would be for this summer.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is the most incredibly even split poll ever

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
There was no Way of Anybody Getting Durant this year so the notion that this team could be do anything to becoming a Threat for a Title is a serious pipe ream..
Okafor, Noel and Butler (considering all the assets it would have taken to get him) would have pushed us past the Cav's or Toronto..

We the pieces we got (though young) addressed our weakness from last year and We still have room to allow the guys we drafted last year to Shine..

I give this an A.

This Team regardless of what free Agents you bring in will not bang for the chip for 2 to 3 years..  by that time Brown should be Established and Ready to be a force..

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I gave it a C. Would have done the 76ers trade in a heartbeat.

Brown could become Paul George ... or he could be Kedrick Brown and be out of the league at the end of his rookie deal.

Noel has already proven he can play, he would have given us an athletic big man who can play defense and run the floor, and he's still got plenty of room to improve.

Covington would have been a versatile big man off the bench who can also play defense and really shoot the three.

Celtics also could have used the 24 and 26 exactly as Philly did, with excellent draft and stash guys Luwawu and Korkmaz.

There's a chance that all four of those guys could end up with more useful NBA careers than Brown.

To be fair, none of those guys will be a star, and Brown could turn into one, so in that way I see the logic. Just don't agree with it.