30 (35.7%)
C
20 (23.8%)
D
10 (11.9%)
F
7 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Your Celtics Draft grade  (Read 8743 times)

Your Celtics Draft grade
« on: June 24, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Curious where the consensus will be

Re: Your Celtics Draft grade
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
B

Wouldve preferred Dunn at 3 but fine with Brown. My real concern with drafting Brown is the risk, it is very big, but if he pans out it is a great draft unlike if we drafted hield or Murray. No. 16 I wanted Valentine but he was taken 2 spots ahead. Zizic I really liked. I also liked both Bentil and Jackson.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Without even commenting on the players - the 31 & 35 pick for a LA Clipper lottery protected 1st rounder in 2019? You couldn't do better than that? I would bet that you could have traded those picks to the Nets for a better value pick. Cmon - all of our supposed "assets" and then we just give a couple away. I would have rather had Thaddeus Young rather than the French Tank. I think Danny failed in the draft again personally. We picked a guy at 3 that can't shoot. Great NBA body but can't shoot. Maybe we can morph him and James Young and have a player with a body that supposedly can shoot. I am bitter. Hopeful but very disappointed right now.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Voted a C. I'm no draft expert, but my take is:
1. Pre-draft, I feared JB was an Ainge guy and well, I guess I was right. Athletic, defensive, but unfortunately, can't shoot. That's pretty much the Celtics identity as a team. We are as tough as nails on D, but we're near the bottom of the league in 3% while being near the top of the league in attempts

2. Picking Yabusele at 16 seems like a major reach. After watching his DX scouting report, I like his skills. But part of me can't help but wonder why he was rated so low.

3. Ainge's other picks were solid. Finding role players late is sort of an Ainge specialty. But IMO, the team is at a point where we need a star that these role players will surround.

- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Without even commenting on the players - the 31 & 35 pick for a LA Clipper lottery protected 1st rounder in 2019? You couldn't do better than that? I would bet that you could have traded those picks to the Nets for a better value pick. Cmon - all of our supposed "assets" and then we just give a couple away. I would have rather had Thaddeus Young rather than the French Tank. I think Danny failed in the draft again personally. We picked a guy at 3 that can't shoot. Great NBA body but can't shoot. Maybe we can morph him and James Young and have a player with a body that supposedly can shoot. I am bitter. Hopeful but very disappointed right now.

Oh, do you mean Brooklin could have trade us Thad? Any source or report from DA ?
Remember, Brooklyn will pick the Cetics one next season. Their goal is not to help us.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Oh, do you mean Brooklin could have trade us Thad? Any source or report from DA ?
Remember, Brooklyn will pick the Cetics one next season. Their goal is not to help us.

Brooklyn doesn't pick the Celtics pick. Next year the Celtics have the right to swap picks with them. If they traded TY for a #20 wouldn't they have preferred a #16 instead?

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
B+

#3: Brown was the #2 high school prospect last year, only behind Simmons.  For all of the critique of his game, Simmons didn't exactly light the college world on fire either.  Matter of fact, Brown did get his team to the Dance.  He's a ready made NBA defender and his offensive game will come around.

#16: Guerschon Yabusele I don't know anything about.  Some of the people I read last night, really like the kid, we'll see.

#23: Ante Zizic love this kid as well.  He'll be a starting center in the league in a year.  Many people had him going in the teens, and he slid.  Danny did travel over to scout him.

Demetrius Jackson at #45 is probably the steal.  I think he'll get minutes this year.

Time to move on to what many thought was the key to building this year, free agency and the off season trades.  I would not be shocked if Danny didn't come away with Horford and Love (via trade).

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Brooklyn doesn't pick the Celtics pick. Next year the Celtics have the right to swap picks with them. If they traded TY for a #20 wouldn't they have preferred a #16 instead?

If we swap with them, they'll be using our pick while we use theirs

That wouldn't be enough to stop them from getting better value in a deal, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'm glad to hear that.  Welcome to the club!
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:36 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
B or B-
I was fine with Brown if we're keeping the pick but we had D Davis at 31 and we trade our best 2 second rounders, for maybe a late 1rst round in 2019? If it does fall in the 1-14 in 19-20 it becomes a 2nd rounder. That sounds like a terrible deal. Take D Davis and trade a couple of the later 2nd rounders. I do think the D Jackson pick could be a steal.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:05:28 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't have any problems with the picks themselves. The picks looks promising (Brown, Zizic). I guess the one I don't get is the French guy but no one has seen him play so who knows how he fits in.

I am disappointed that they couldn't pull off a deal for Butler but if the rumor of what CHI was true, then it was the right move not to make it. Noel I had no interest in via trade.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Easy.

D.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
B or B-
I was fine with Brown if we're keeping the pick but we had D Davis at 31 and we trade our best 2 second rounders, for maybe a late 1rst round in 2019? If it does fall in the 1-14 in 19-20 it becomes a 2nd rounder. That sounds like a terrible deal. Take D Davis and trade a couple of the later 2nd rounders. I do think the D Jackson pick could be a steal.

Yeah, that trade really makes no sense to me. I would have like to see them take a shot at Davis. I'm okay, just okay, with the rest.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
B+

#3: Brown was the #2 high school prospect last year, only behind Simmons.  For all of the critique of his game, Simmons didn't exactly light the college world on fire either.  Matter of fact, Brown did get his team to the Dance.  He's a ready made NBA defender and his offensive game will come around.

#16: Guerschon Yabusele I don't know anything about.  Some of the people I read last night, really like the kid, we'll see.

#23: Ante Zizic love this kid as well.  He'll be a starting center in the league in a year.  Many people had him going in the teens, and he slid.  Danny did travel over to scout him.

Demetrius Jackson at #45 is probably the steal.  I think he'll get minutes this year.

Time to move on to what many thought was the key to building this year, free agency and the off season trades.  I would not be shocked if Danny didn't come away with Horford and Love (via trade).

This is the profile of an NBA player drafted a few years ago:

"Weaknesses: Does not have one aspect offensively that stands out or which allows him to consistently score the ball … With his size and frame, will almost certainly be a perimeter player at the next level, but he lacks the polish and skill necessary to consistently operate on the wing … He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand … His jumpshot (while definitely improved) is still very inconsistent … The release comes high off his head and it is somewhat of a sling motion, which results in a fairly flat shot that goes all over the place … At this level, he has a size advantage on almost a nightly basis, but he still chooses to take the majority of his shots from the outside … Takes a high number of off balance shots, but does not show the ability to convert them at a good percentage … He does not have a great touch around the basket, and unless he can get inside position on the defense, he struggles finishing when contested … Not very disciplined defensively, he gambles far too often and leaves his team susceptible to giving up easy baskets …"

He has since turned into a stud.  Kawhi Leonard........

I was driving on the road yesterday and had the opportunity to listen to a lot of radio.  One common theme, a player who can't shoot can remedy that.  College is not all about just working on your game, you have classes to attend as well.  Brown can now focus on his shot and if you believe the reports from his workout, did a darn good job improving already.  Brown's shooting percentage from 2 and three were 48/29, Leonard's, coming out, were 44/29.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:16:04 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
B+

#3 Jaylen Brown. It took me a while to get on the Brown bandwagon because of his lack of production in college and his shooting percentage. But as far as "swing for the fences" picks go, this guy is the right choice at #3. He brings something to this team that it desperately needs - a slashing, scoring style from the wing beyond IT. He has all the physical tools to be very, very good and I think the team always benefits from smart players. As mentioned above, this is the #2 prospect coming out of HS last year and he wowed the Cs in two pre-draft workouts (and not against chairs). He also landed in a great spot. He'll get plenty of playing time while learning behind a pro's pro in Crowder. I would not be surprised to see him take Jae's starting role by mid-season (blasphemy!) if he finds his shooting stroke. If he does he's an All Star in about 4 years.

#16 Yab. I love this pick. I did a complete breakdown for CB here. http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85585.30 If the worst someone can say is that he's like a motivated Anthony Bennett - a guy who had the skill set to be chosen 1st overall - then this is a brilliant pick. I can't wait to see this guy paired with Mickey.

#23 Zizic. Most everyone understands why this is a very good pick. He plays a position of need, put up a 25 PER as an 18 year old in a good league and plays hard. He may never be great but he has the potential to be our starting Center for years to come.

#31 Trade. This is the major downside of the night for me. Not because we didn't select Davis, who was entirely off the Celtics draft board due to questions about his attitude. It's because we gave up 31 and 35 for a lotto protected 2019 pick that converts to 2 2nds in 2021 if it's not used. Sorry, but there's no way I'm giving up two high seconds now with a chance of getting two crappy seconds 5 years from now. I'm just not happy with the return on this trade.

#45 Demetrius Jackson. Excellent value in the 2nd round with this pick. He has physical tools and a raw game. I have no idea how he'll make the roster but he was projected to be selected around #20. He'll be 22 years old in September so he needs to hone his game quickly. He's probably a flameout - guys with physical gifts who forget to work on their games are a dime a dozen - but a great "risk" at 45.

#51 Ben Bentil. Another good high risk, high reward pick here. I expect Bentil to be a washout but big men who can score and put the ball on the floor are fairly rare.

#58 Abdel Nader. Draft and stash candidate that will probably never see an NBA court.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.