Author Topic: This draft gives us roster flexibility in free agency  (Read 3508 times)

Re: This draft gives us roster flexibility in free agency
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
After watching the draft, I can't see why any big name free agent would come to Boston. Maybe we could overpay for Barnes or give Dwight his asking price. I'm just not sure anymore.

Dwight yes but Barnes? Why would you overpay for him? He's terrible. You watched the playoffs right?

I wouldn't. Im just saying he might be one of the few to take the Celtics money if we were overpaying.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard to see how the draft really cleared up any questions that already existed on the roster.  At the same time, at least in theory three players were added to a roster that only has three free agents outgoing.

So yeah, I'm not sure the draft really gives flexibility.  It doesn't really change much, though it definitely makes Evan Turner expendable.  Smart, Rozier, and Brown should eat up his minutes.  Should, I say, because I don't trust the team not to re-sign him, especially if other names in free agency go elsewhere.  The team may be in a position to placate fans, and Evan Turner is a fan favorite, though one would assume giving the #3 pick a chance to earn playing time off the bench would please fans, as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It's hard to see how the draft really cleared up any questions that already existed on the roster.  At the same time, at least in theory three players were added to a roster that only has three free agents outgoing.

So yeah, I'm not sure the draft really gives flexibility.  It doesn't really change much, though it definitely makes Evan Turner expendable.  Smart, Rozier, and Brown should eat up his minutes.  Should, I say, because I don't trust the team not to re-sign him, especially if other names in free agency go elsewhere.  The team may be in a position to placate fans, and Evan Turner is a fan favorite, though one would assume giving the #3 pick a chance to earn playing time off the bench would please fans, as well.

No, I want him to start. He was the #3 pick.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He was the #3 pick but he was barely up to the task of providing consistent production as a starter in college.  Think he's probably a few years away from starting in the NBA, especially competing against Bradley, Crowder, and Smart.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
After watching the draft, I can't see why any big name free agent would come to Boston. Maybe we could overpay for Barnes or give Dwight his asking price. I'm just not sure anymore.

Dwight yes but Barnes? Why would you overpay for him? He's terrible. You watched the playoffs right?

I wouldn't. Im just saying he might be one of the few to take the Celtics money if we were overpaying.
The only FA who would turn his nose up at us is Kevin Durant and would Noel or Okafor have completely changed the game there? Noel could have but hes more or less unproven, just like our draft was.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Get real, none of the top tier free agents are picking their destination because of Noel.
He's not a star.  He's just a very good defensive role player at this point in his career.

IMO Philly created a logjam for themselves.  And if Embiid actually becomes healthy this season, Noel likely becomes the 3rd wheel and we'll be able to get him on the cheap.  Much more cheaply than the #3 overall pick.

Meanwhile, neither Noel, Simmons, or Okafor are shooters.  And who is their point guard?
I'm not that impressed with Phila, even after the draft.

The ideal scenario -- Horford + Durant both sign on the dotted line.
If not, we take one good free agent who helps us, and save our cap space for next year.

We're easily a top 4 team in the east if our guys simply continue improving at the same pace.  And we've got a young core, so I see us getting better and better.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
That flexibility tho
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29

The only FA who would turn his nose up at us is Kevin Durant and would Noel or Okafor have completely changed the game there? Noel could have but hes more or less unproven, just like our draft was.
Kevin Durant has already agreed to meet with us in free agency, so this "turn up his nose at us" stuff makes you look pretty silly.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I doubt KD cares about playing with Horford. I mean there are better pieces to play with in New York than here. Overachieving IT and possibly Horford and a bunch of role players? KD has much better prospects than here. Last night just nailed the coffin closed. We are in a rebuilding mode. We are shooting for 2019-2020. And by then James Young might be able to get an open 3 shot to fall and all of these projects will fall into place and LeBron will be old.

Yeah, the Knicks are awesome  ::) They just traded a very quality center for Derek freakin' Rose, while we only won 48 games last year. There is certainly a chance Rose becomes relatively productive again, but that team sucks. Way not to build around Porzingis by making trades to get younger (dealing Carmelo).

Yes they suck but they have Porzingis, Carmelo, D Rose and lots of money. They can add a D Howard or Horford along with KD.

What do we have? An overachieving IT and a great coach and a bunch of young role players. Which is more attractive?

If you think New York has a better team than the Celtics you should never watch basketball again.