Author Topic: Yabusele is our Draymond Green project-looks GREAT  (Read 16498 times)

Re: Yabusele is our Draymond Green project-looks GREAT
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:15 AM »

Offline mrceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'm reading up and I like what I see from french sully. 8)

THIS GUY is built more like Charles Barkley coming out of Auburn than Sully coming out of Ohio State.

I wouldn't call him Sully at all. We can just call him 'mon ami'. lol

Don't get me wrong, I love Sully. It was a compliment.

Love his footwork and smooth jumper.  Just need to throw him to the fire to see his mettle.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 04:47:03 AM »

Offline mrceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'm pretty sure Sully has never looked like this.

TP for that. Had a good laugh there. Let this kid be all that we wish Sully couldve been.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 04:58:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 603
Between Green and Anthony Bennett
C'mon you're honestly not the tiniest bit excited about this guy? You don't see the Tools. Strong enough to guard 5's Quick enough to move his feet with 4 and possibly 3's?  We Did not have that on the Roster at all..
Absolutely not excited. He has weight issues. Just when we escape Sully Danny does it again. Undersized, overweight, PF that wants to shoot 3s.

Cant say the guy has Weight Issues, Brotha is just big boned..  Sure he doesn't have the Traditional "Look" of an NBA body but that explosion is something that you NEVER saw out of   Sully Or Big Baby.. EVER..   That's more like Mini ShaQ (who was BIG but never had a "Weight" Issue..)
  And his 3ball % is Super enticing, match that with his First step and you have something unique and Special for a man of that size..  You can totally understand why Danny grabbed this guy with his 2nd pick..
Read up on him. He has weight issues. And its FIBA 3s right not exactly the same as NBA.

I wouldn't worry about it. He looks ripped for a wide guy. Those weight are probably muscles, not fat.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 05:35:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Between Green and Anthony Bennett
C'mon you're honestly not the tiniest bit excited about this guy? You don't see the Tools. Strong enough to guard 5's Quick enough to move his feet with 4 and possibly 3's?  We Did not have that on the Roster at all..
Absolutely not excited. He has weight issues. Just when we escape Sully Danny does it again. Undersized, overweight, PF that wants to shoot 3s.

Cant say the guy has Weight Issues, Brotha is just big boned..  Sure he doesn't have the Traditional "Look" of an NBA body but that explosion is something that you NEVER saw out of   Sully Or Big Baby.. EVER..   That's more like Mini ShaQ (who was BIG but never had a "Weight" Issue..)
  And his 3ball % is Super enticing, match that with his First step and you have something unique and Special for a man of that size..  You can totally understand why Danny grabbed this guy with his 2nd pick..
Read up on him. He has weight issues. And its FIBA 3s right not exactly the same as NBA.

FIBA 3 pt line is actually longer than NCAA 3 pt line. So I dunno how you can knock his shooting down without saying the same about all other prospects.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 06:50:49 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I love this pick. It's a very high-reward type of pick.

Lets talk physical attributes. First of all, he's not fat. He's big boned. ;D  But he really is - he's just a widebody. He'll need to watch his diet but he has the frame of an NFL fullback and not a NBA player. But he's really agile and explosive in space. He just moves really well for a big man - aka Charles Barkley type of physicality though not that skill set (or quite the explosive leaping). He's fast - he will run by other players in the open court and he's like a freight train when he does. People get out of the way when he's moving. He leaps quite high when he can get a head start but is only average from a set position. He's not super-long at 6'8" but the reach goes to 7'1" and thus he's not undersized whatsoever.

Since players make their living on the Celtics by playing defense fist, let's discuss that. It's not great. His technique needs a lot of work. He reaches too much and he needs to learn how to play team defense but the desire is there to learn. He doesn't defend the perimeter very well because he reaches too much. He has the agility to stay with most guys though but has to learn to play the pick and roll. He's not an interior shot blocking presence. He needs to learn to sit down when defending the post and hold his ground rather than reaching around and giving up the easy bucket. He actually defends in space quite well when he's not over committing himself. He surprisingly doesn't rebound as he should for a big guy (though he's better than someone like Chriss). He doesn't get explosive lift from a standstill and needs to position himself better.

Almost all of this is correctable with coaching. I'm not sure he's going to learn what he needs to know being stashed overseas another year and that's why I'm hoping he comes over now. He played in a horrible situation last year - his team was abysmal - and you could see that impact him on the court last year. He looked lost because I think he was and with good coaching these things  can be fixed. The desire is there to learn and he's a smart kid with a good BBIQ. If we do stash him overseas we need to help position him with a team that is defensive oriented and where he can really be taught how to play within a team defensive concept.

Offensively, it's not hard to love his potential. His stroke is wonderful and the statistics show it. 43% from 3 point land and it's smooth. Moreover, his shot comes from behind his head almost like Bird's did. I'm not saying he can shoot as well as Bird but the motion is quite similar. He can shoot it set and off the pick and roll. He knows how to use his weight in the post. He needs to work on his moves down there but has a couple of nice soft shots that are reliable. He's totally right handed but he can put the ball on the floor and blow by many defenders - and usually out muscle the ones he can't get by with quickness. He needs to work on his left handed shot. He doesn't tend to stand still on offense either, playing in a system that had him constantly cutting and moving. His passing is fairly unknown and may never be better than anything but average but he's not a black hole. He's also a decent offensive rebounder but again has room for improvement. 

I think Celtics fans are going to love this guy once they really get a chance to see him. He looks like a great PF fit for Brad's system. Sullinger is a better rebounder with more system experience but that might be it. Yab can do the things offensively that Brad wants a PF to do - hit the 3, put the ball on the floor when you need to, run the court and work for the offensive rebound. Like Sullinger, he needs to learn to play defense but he has the physical skills, size and caboose to be an interior force while still being agile enough to move outside. You can pair him with Mickey, Amir or Zizic (or even a guy like Noel) on the front court and he'll be complimentary because he should be very versatile on that end once he picks up the system. The comp for Yab is often Paul Milsap and I think he can get there and perform somewhere close to that level. Can't wait to see him in green!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:56:43 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I watched his DX scouting vids. Why was he rated as only a late 1st-early 2nd round?
- LilRip

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 07:36:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I got him pegged as the French Anthony Bennett till I see otherwise

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Undersized PF but strong with long arms. Is he Elton Brand with a 3 point shot?

I guess the thing is nobody knows at this point. Really interesting DX video. Here's hoping Ainge still knows what he's doing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hope the lad doesn't need to be stashed for a season. He looks very promising. His interview with Marc D'Amico on was very enjoyable. His English isn't bad for a French kid, and he was really grateful.

The kid looks very big, but this isn't fat. 6% body fat is fantastic for someone his size. He is build like a tank, but a muscular one, not a fat one.

Hope he plays in Summer League and runs over a couple of college kids.

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
"College kids ain't sht."

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

So if he has the skill set to match up with a guy chosen 1st overall and he has a much better attitude, this seems like a brilliant pick to me. After all, it wasn't Bennett's physical attributes or his game that is the problem - it's the space between his ears.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I watched his DX scouting vids. Why was he rated as only a late 1st-early 2nd round?

They mentioned last night on CSN that he didn't fare well against stiffer competition.

Watched video on his weaknesses and thought his blown defensive assignments  were worrisome. In a couple scenes he started reacting after the player was already past him. It looks like his motor and brain are not always engaged.

They also highlighted in the video that he doesn't play as strong as he looks. You could see him getting nudged out of position fairly easily. Something that doesn't happen with Sully. 

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
I would have traded all those wasted firsts for ONE good player

S M H

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

So if he has the skill set to match up with a guy chosen 1st overall and he has a much better attitude, this seems like a brilliant pick to me. After all, it wasn't Bennett's physical attributes or his game that is the problem - it's the space between his ears.
Maybe. We shall see.

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I would have traded all those wasted firsts for ONE good player

S M H

Indeed.

There's a bright side to last night's horror, however.

Lots of laughs in the frantic attempts to spin this draft on this board.

One maybe, and a bunch of SMH picks.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."