Author Topic: This site is BEYOND SLOW  (Read 9583 times)

This site is BEYOND SLOW
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Look, I get it: draft night, hundreds of people are on the site, so it might be a little slow to load sometimes. I get that. But it's not JUST tonight it's been like this for months now. When I type in "for" in my search bar, the full address comes up, as it should since I'm here a ton. But why does it take FOREVER to load the home page? Like I said, not just tonight. It's been like that for literally months upon months now. We have a ton of users here, and it would be a wise choice to do some stuff with the servers to make sure we don't get these kind of hiccups.

Now, I'm not going to come out here and say I'm some kind of tech-savvy person. I'm not. I don't know how servers and sites and stuff are developed. What I do know is that there have to be ways to improve the connection time on here. Mods, what say you? I don't think my request is that excessive.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: This site is BEYOND SLOW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
My concerns regarding this topic still stand. I guess this post got lost amidst the draft night commotion. But I am still having the issues outlined in my original post, and I am sure many other people have the same problem.

This site takes way too long to load, whether I am getting on for the first time today, or in the middle of the day, or late at night. When I click a link to another thread on this site, it takes just as long to load.

What do I mean by "long"? Well, let's just say it took over 30 seconds for the page to load after I gave a TP to someone. It took over 40 seconds for me to open this very thread. And I hit the reply button, and, I kid you not, I sat at my desk waiting for nearly 60 seconds until the site responded.

It's not an issue of my computer. I actually got a new laptop for school this year. 6th gen i7, 16 gig ram, 500 gb storage. That should barely, if at all, matter though for internet speeds. The laptop isnt the issue (FWIW the same thing happens on my iphone too). It's not my connection speed. I normally run a wireless connection with internet speeds above 60 mbps, with a wired connection it can hit 100 mbps. The same slow loading speeds. Again, its not a connection issue either because it happens on my iphone too (verizon, high speed 4G LTE).

I visit this site a lot. Multiple times a day. I visit it so often that if i just type in "f" in my browser (chrome on my laptop, safari on my phone), the full address already fills into the search bar. I will hit enter, and then I'll just wait there. 20, 30, 40 seconds go by. Then suddenly, as if it just realizes that I wanna go to the site, itll connect.

I dont know anything about servers or websites or connections and stuff like that, but if i had to guess, it seems to be trying to connect to the servers of the site, for 30 seconds, then suddenly it gains access, and the page loads. It's the wait for the the servers to connect that sucks (if im using the wrong terminology please correct me).

To the Mods: is there nothing at all that you can do? this site is growing by the day. more and more people visit it. is there no option available to improve the connection speeds, the servers, whatever it is that's causing this issue? I can't imagine that Im the only one with this issue (for the record, this happens whether I am logged in to the site already or not, so it cant be locked to just me).

Please guys, lets see if we can fix this. I love coming to this site, but i also dont have all day to wait around for the site to connect and load. please comment if you also have this issue. maybe if it gets more attention something will be done.

edit: surprise surprise. as i hit the "post" button to post my comment, it takes 43 seconds to connect and post it (i timed it). as i hit the quick edit button to edit this comment, i had to wait 23 seconds for it to work (all with the dumb "loading" bar at the top of the page). lets see how long it takes to save this edit now
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
My concerns regarding this topic still stand. I guess this post got lost amidst the draft night commotion. But I am still having the issues outlined in my original post, and I am sure many other people have the same problem.

This site takes way too long to load, whether I am getting on for the first time today, or in the middle of the day, or late at night. When I click a link to another thread on this site, it takes just as long to load.

What do I mean by "long"? Well, let's just say it took over 30 seconds for the page to load after I gave a TP to someone. It took over 40 seconds for me to open this very thread. And I hit the reply button, and, I kid you not, I sat at my desk waiting for nearly 60 seconds until the site responded.

It's not an issue of my computer. I actually got a new laptop for school this year. 6th gen i7, 16 gig ram, 500 gb storage. That should barely, if at all, matter though for internet speeds. The laptop isnt the issue (FWIW the same thing happens on my iphone too). It's not my connection speed. I normally run a wireless connection with internet speeds above 60 mbps, with a wired connection it can hit 100 mbps. The same slow loading speeds. Again, its not a connection issue either because it happens on my iphone too (verizon, high speed 4G LTE).

I visit this site a lot. Multiple times a day. I visit it so often that if i just type in "f" in my browser (chrome on my laptop, safari on my phone), the full address already fills into the search bar. I will hit enter, and then I'll just wait there. 20, 30, 40 seconds go by. Then suddenly, as if it just realizes that I wanna go to the site, itll connect.

I dont know anything about servers or websites or connections and stuff like that, but if i had to guess, it seems to be trying to connect to the servers of the site, for 30 seconds, then suddenly it gains access, and the page loads. It's the wait for the the servers to connect that sucks (if im using the wrong terminology please correct me).

To the Mods: is there nothing at all that you can do? this site is growing by the day. more and more people visit it. is there no option available to improve the connection speeds, the servers, whatever it is that's causing this issue? I can't imagine that Im the only one with this issue (for the record, this happens whether I am logged in to the site already or not, so it cant be locked to just me).

Please guys, lets see if we can fix this. I love coming to this site, but i also dont have all day to wait around for the site to connect and load. please comment if you also have this issue. maybe if it gets more attention something will be done.

edit: surprise surprise. as i hit the "post" button to post my comment, it takes 43 seconds to connect and post it (i timed it). as i hit the quick edit button to edit this comment, i had to wait 23 seconds for it to work (all with the dumb "loading" bar at the top of the page). lets see how long it takes to save this edit now
I haven't experienced any slowness with this site and I'm running on an older computer with a decent but not great network connection.  I just gave you a TP and it only took a second to refresh the page. 

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I echo tazz's post.  Gave you a tp and. Only a second to refresh. Sorry. I can't help. But at least you got some tps.   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
are you able to access other sites just fine?

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Are you on dial-up because this site works fine for me.  How old is your computer?  Phone?

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Have you tried  changing your connection DNS server settings? Use 8.8.8.8 which is the Google server and see if it connects faster.

Just in case, I don't have any speed issues.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I see in your post that you reference chrome on your laptop and safari on your phone.  So its probably something related to your home network.  Have you tried accessing the site using your laptop or phone from a different network (work, friend's house)? 

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Site loads lightning fast for me. I'm on wifi using a 2 year old laptop with only 4gb of ram. Internet is solid at 4mbps.

Might be your side?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for the TPs guys, I'll try to answer everyone's questions in this comment

CelticD, every other site on the planet works fine. It's just this site

Celtics4ever, this issue happens on my home wifi, my home Ethernet cable, my phone wifi, my phone's LTE signal. Basically anything that I own that I use for the internet, whether I'm actually connected to my wifi, I'm using data, or using someone else's wifi. Laptop is brand new (although I did have these issues on my old laptop too), and the phone is an iPhone 6, so about 2 years old.

BudweiserCeltic, how would I do that? I'm not too tech savvy sorry

Tazzmaniac, as I mentioned in another response, it's both in my phone and my laptop, and on my home wifi, my phone's LTE, my school wifi (it doesn't block anything), and my friend's house's wifi.

Chambers, it could be my side, but it happens everywhere I go lol. And I'm guessing it's not linked to my account because it'll happen even if I sign out and continue trying to navigate between different threads.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:25:25 PM by alldaboston »

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Thanks for the TPs guys, I'll try to answer everyone's questions in this comment

Celtics4ever, this issue happens on my home wifi, my home Ethernet cable, my phone wifi, my phone's LTE signal. Basically anything that I own that I use for the internet, whether I'm actually connected to my wifi, I'm using data, or using someone else's wifi.

Tazzmaniac, as I mentioned in another response, it's both in my phone and my laptop, and on my home wifi, my phone's LTE, my school wifi (it doesn't block anything), and my friend's house's wifi.

Chambers, it could be my side, but it happens everywhere I go lol. And I'm guessing it's not linked to my account because it'll happen even if I sign out and continue trying to navigate between different threads.
Looking for some commonality to explain your problem but so far the only thing I can think of is you.   :laugh:
Is it just the forums site that is slow or is the main site slow too?   

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:19:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Celtics4ever, this issue happens on my home wifi, my home Ethernet cable, my phone wifi, my phone's LTE signal. Basically anything that I own that I use for the internet, whether I'm actually connected to my wifi, I'm using data, or using someone else's wifi. Laptop is brand new (although I did have these issues on my old laptop too), and the phone is an iPhone 6, so about 2 years old.

What operating system do you have? Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10? OSX?

I'm going to assume Windows 10.

This site gives you a pretty straightforward explanation with pictures:
http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-change-your-dns-windows-10

If you don't see any changes (I'd use it for a day just to see how it behaves), then just put it back into automatic. Important, only change the DNS Server address, leave the rest in automatic.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Celtics4ever, this issue happens on my home wifi, my home Ethernet cable, my phone wifi, my phone's LTE signal. Basically anything that I own that I use for the internet, whether I'm actually connected to my wifi, I'm using data, or using someone else's wifi.

Looking for some commonality to explain your problem but so far the only thing I can think of is you.   :laugh:
Is it just the forums site that is slow or is the main site slow too?

It's just the forums. I participate on other forums too but this is literally the only site that this happens to me.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 10:35:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

What operating system do you have? Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10? OSX?

I'm going to assume Windows 10.

This site gives you a pretty straightforward explanation with pictures:
http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-change-your-dns-windows-10

If you don't see any changes (I'd use it for a day just to see how it behaves), then just put it back into automatic. Important, only change the DNS Server address, leave the rest in automatic.

Yeah I'm on windows 10. I'll try this out and report back to see if it changes anything on my laptop. Not sure what else I can do on my phone lol.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Have you tried  changing your connection DNS server settings? Use 8.8.8.8 which is the Google server and see if it connects faster.

Just in case, I don't have any speed issues.
What would changing the DNS server do? The page eventually loads so the host names are being resolved correctly.

One shouldn't need to switch that unless an ISP stopped resolving a host name for some reason. For example. The person could ping the IP of the site but not pull it up in the web browser.