Author Topic: Way Too Much Hate for the Pick  (Read 2842 times)

Way Too Much Hate for the Pick
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Brown isn't ideal but he's worlds better than settling for the crap offer Philly had out there.  And if getting Butler meant parting with our pick in next year's draft (a draft that already, a whole year prior to occurring, is being labeled the best draft since the Wiggns/LeBron ones) then I'm glad we stayed put and took the non guard with the highest upside. 

Throw in the fact that we already have 2.5 versions of Dunn on this team, and Brown's potential (I know, a hated/overused word at times) is way above any of the tweener shooters that were there, and I'm not sure what people wanted more than Brown.  An ideal situation?  Clearly no.  But in terms of making the best out of an awful situation, we probably ended up as well as we possibly could have.

And far be it from me to defend Ainge on draft night.  I'm on record saying he's as awful as his track record suggests.  But here, I think his actions are absolutely defendable.  For a change.

Re: Way Too Much Hate for the Pick
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
It was crowder/Bradley and Dunn for butler.

By comparison, it's Dunn and lavine for Minnesota. You think we couldn't have beat that?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens

By comparison, it's Dunn and lavine for Minnesota. You think we couldn't have beat that?

I haven't seen that.  If that's the case.....crap.  Source?

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
The hate is because he's a project that MIGHT fill a need in 2 years.

Bender was much safer and filled a need.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:44 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I haven't seen that.  If that's the case.....crap.  Source?

KC Johnson on twitter. He's a Bulls guy
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't think fans hate the Brown pick as much they hate not getting Butler.

I like the pick too and I think fans shouldn't believe what the twitter world says. I think the Bulls asked for more than just 3 and Crowder/Bradley. I think they asked for more Nets picks, which Danny refused.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:36 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
TP to the OP.

I'm hyped about the Brown pick. Sometimes the best thing to do is sit tight and let things fall in your lap. That's also going to happen with #16.  :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens

I like the pick too and I think fans shouldn't believe what the twitter world says. I think the Bulls asked for more than just 3 and Crowder/Bradley. I think they asked for more Nets picks, which Danny refused.

My thinking exactly.  I guess it'll be clear when the deal is done or not for good.  But if it came down to Chicago wanting a 1st next year on top, color me happy we decided against it.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Man, the Stockholm Syndrome gang is always ready to come out in full force after something like this happens. We have like 8 guards. Evan Turner is on the team, would have taken a discount, and has matured into something. Will Brown be that big of an improvement over ET?

We should have taken Noel. He has a better PER than everyone not named Isaiah Thomas on this team, filled a need, and would have been harder to get. I'm bummed.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:24:18 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

My thinking exactly.  I guess it'll be clear when the deal is done or not for good.  But if it came down to Chicago wanting a 1st next year on top, color me happy we decided against it.

Yeah I think what happened was the Bulls weren't interested in anything the Celtics had to offer UNTIL they heard about the Thad Young trade today. Young was the Nets second best player and him gone makes it more likely the Nets suck this season, and since next years draft class is supposedly loaded, that would make the pick all the more golden. I think they approached the Celtics and told them they can have Butler if they give the Bulls Dunn, Crowder or Bradley, and the 2017 Nets pick plus salary fodder, to which Danny said no. Am I onto something?

I mean there was speculation of Boston and Chicago discussing a deal before today, but nothing substantial. Discussions didn't get real until AFTER Thad Young was traded. Everyone who I looked to on twitter said Butler to Boston wasn't happening leading up until today.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The hate is because he's a project that MIGHT fill a need in 2 years.

No..

Brown fills a need (depth at the SF spot) and he's far less a risk then Bender - at least he has an NBA body, is an NBA athlete, and should be able to play NBA defense from day one  Strong rebounder for a wing as well, and his shot is better then advertised.  We should get some minutes from him this year, and he gives good insurance if turner leaves.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Not enough hate for this pick

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
Now George Gershwin Yabadabadoo from France is more in line with the Ainge draft decisions I've come to expect

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This is patently absurd.  Bender averaged 5 ppg in a lesser league.   He was a huge risk.   The tape I seen of him made me doubt the competiveness of that league and his alleged athletic ability.  Don't quit your day job and become a scout.

Brown fills a need (depth at the SF spot) and he's far less a risk then Bender - at least he has an NBA body, is an NBA athlete, and should be able to play NBA defense from day one  Strong rebounder for a wing as well, and his shot is better then advertised.  We should get some minutes from him this year, and he gives good insurance if turner leaves.

Agree.  Brown is a much safer pick than Bender.