Author Topic: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3  (Read 14361 times)

Re: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
How much is Noel actually worth given that you're going to have to pay him max money next season?
I rather have 4 years of Brown at 4/5 million vs 1 Year of Noel on our team not ready for contention.   Plus gives us another body to throw at James.

the issue isn't so much Brown vs. Noel.

the problem, as I see it, is that we had a chance to solidify our front court with a player that would have made our lineup a much more complete place for Durant to consider.

drafting all those picks, we took ourselves out of the KD sweepstakes. 

with so many assets at our disposal, DA shouldn't have been such a stickler about 'winning' the deal. 

this was our chance to take a leap forward, trade for legit pieces that would have impressed KD.  not next year, not 18' ---- yesterday was the day ---- and he let his ego get in the way as he tried to game Chicago & Philly into a bidding war. 

Okafor straight up for #3 could have happened.  Danny wanted more though.  Butler for #3, Crowder & Amir could have happened.  Danny wanted to move AB instead though.

Bottom line, last night his hubris cost us a chance compete for number 18 anytime before 2020. 

Now we have to rely on his son's scouting ability (is Austin really best for that job? or did he land that job thanks to uncontested nepotism?) to draft someone who can grow into an all star.  All those picks, and I'm not sure we even got a rotation player last night. 

Nothing against Jaylen, but he's got an uphill climb with this fanbase thanks to the spot Ainge and Wyc put him in.

I don't think Noel will be the deciding factor for Durant.

Brown is though.  A deciding factor to not consider the Celtics. 

Why would KD even consider coming here now?  We have to play this rookie at SF now. 

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
Epic screwup by Ainge

Historic fail.

i know a lot of people would shout "Debbie Downer"...but...i feel pretty close to this...this was "THE" Swing for the Fences moment...this really is the defining moment in finally turning this into a minimum 5 year re-build...maybe we were expecting too much and hoping for a quicker rebuild...now we are back to waiting for bkn picks and waiting for ping-pong balls...i'm starting to feel like a Sox fan before winning the World Series in that we are probably never going to get lucky  in the lottery...that leaves trades and FA...we have never brought in a big-name FA...not saying that it won't happen...but...it's just reality and those are the facts...that leaves trades as our best chance...plus...if you use the same reasoning as people used with Noel..that is...impending restricted FA...then...that means trade value of AB, IT, Smart, Crowder is going down next year...this was the year to maximize trade value with players on good contracts...

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
How much is Noel actually worth given that you're going to have to pay him max money next season?
I rather have 4 years of Brown at 4/5 million vs 1 Year of Noel on our team not ready for contention.   Plus gives us another body to throw at James.

the issue isn't so much Brown vs. Noel.

the problem, as I see it, is that we had a chance to solidify our front court with a player that would have made our lineup a much more complete place for Durant to consider.

drafting all those picks, we took ourselves out of the KD sweepstakes. 

with so many assets at our disposal, DA shouldn't have been such a stickler about 'winning' the deal. 

this was our chance to take a leap forward, trade for legit pieces that would have impressed KD.  not next year, not 18' ---- yesterday was the day ---- and he let his ego get in the way as he tried to game Chicago & Philly into a bidding war. 

Okafor straight up for #3 could have happened.  Danny wanted more though.  Butler for #3, Crowder & Amir could have happened.  Danny wanted to move AB instead though.

Bottom line, last night his hubris cost us a chance compete for number 18 anytime before 2020. 

Now we have to rely on his son's scouting ability (is Austin really best for that job? or did he land that job thanks to uncontested nepotism?) to draft someone who can grow into an all star.  All those picks, and I'm not sure we even got a rotation player last night. 

Nothing against Jaylen, but he's got an uphill climb with this fanbase thanks to the spot Ainge and Wyc put him in.

I don't think Noel will be the deciding factor for Durant.

Brown is though.  A deciding factor to not consider the Celtics. 

Why would KD even consider coming here now?  We have to play this rookie at SF now. 

Jae Crowder is playing Small Forward?

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I would have accepted the offer. Noel gives us rim protection, Covington will cover SF needs afted Turner leaves and 24 and 26 could be used to select the same guys we selected.

Just i would offer Sac #16,#23,#31 for #8

So get Chriss with #8 , Noel, Covington , Yabusele and Zizic with 24 and 26.

instead we got

Brown, Yabusele, Zizic

I don't think Brown have much more potential than Chriss who i would love to have

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 11:08:37 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
24 and 26 are garbage picks.  Sorry but historically you get bench players at best with those draft picks.

Noel could have been a nice rotation piece but he doesn't come with any offense, he's a more athletic Kendric Perkins.  And Covington is a come off the bench scorer.

If DA doesn't feel that package moved the needle, I don't blame him.

Now if they wanted the #16 pick + extras for Noel, then I would have liked to do that deal.

Just a thought.  But now that Philly has drafted Simmons, they overcrowd their front court even more.

Maybe there will be a deal to be had for Noel before the season starts, without taking the Sixers junk in return.

Sixers might need to clear house at cut rate prices to create enough playing time, especially if Embiid checks in as healthy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:13:58 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Idk maybe I over rate Noel but I would have done this deal
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Would you rather have an articulate, smart young player who can defend three positions and will score and dunk on breaks, and will probably shoot just fine in a couple years?  Or a no offense dude who when he gets mad just clogs up the toilet with marijuana and paints the carpets and walls with gatorade.  Good job saying no Danny (an understatement).

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Would you rather have an articulate, smart young player who can defend three positions and will score and dunk on breaks, and will probably shoot just fine in a couple years?  Or a no offense dude who when he gets mad just clogs up the toilet with marijuana and paints the carpets and walls with gatorade.  Good job saying no Danny (an understatement).

Haha TP for reminding me of this story.

Not to mention an expiring Noel. IF we really wanted to do this why not pay someone like Whiteside AND keep our picks?

PLUS did we really need #16, #23, #24, and #26 when nobody was trading with us anyway?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:48:02 PM by TheTruthFot18 »
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Maybe Trader Danny will offer them Smart and Rozier or Hunter for Okafor or Noel. I still prefer Okafor. He makes every Celtics shooter better because he will demand a double team most of them time or he will score at will.

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Celtics have a lot of redundency on this team. My dream is that the trade market stays pretty cold and we can get Noel for a package of young guys that doesn't disrupt the core.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Noel and Okafor must have lower trade value than we think
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Noel and Okafor must have lower trade value than we think
It seems that way. Which is all the more reason for Ainge to have not done the deal. We can probably still get Noel in a month at a much lower price.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2016, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Maybe Trader Danny will offer them Smart and Rozier or Hunter for Okafor or Noel. I still prefer Okafor. He makes every Celtics shooter better because he will demand a double team most of them time or he will score at will.

The Celtics have shooters???? Who? I didn't see any on last year's team.

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The 76ers blogs say colangelo said there was no truth to this rumored offer. 

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Noel is a terrible basketball player.  He is half of the front line of probably the worst team in NBA history.  He also might not be a great person if how he leaves his rental property means anything.  Pick #31 usually has move value than the late 1st round picks because it isn't guaranteed money.  We sold that pick and 35 for a possible terrible first round pick or a second in 2019 or 2022.  Late picks are meaningless.  Covington is a JAG.  You can pick him up anywhere at anytime. 

That was a total troll offer from the 76ers.  Noel is about to be a free agent.  We are getting one year of Noel, who sucks, and his matching rights for the #3 pick.  That is trash.  Anyone who says they'd do that deal, I'm glad they will never be running an NBA franchise.