Author Topic: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3  (Read 14364 times)

Re: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 01:09:33 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Using logic, it's fairly easy to conclude that this is a lowball offer for a #3 pick.
Noel is a solid big man with one year on his deal. He loves Boston and we can sign him to an offer sheet in one year. So we'd be giving up the #3 for this guy and a few other scrubs when the Hawks were talking about a deal for Noel centered around Teague (who fetched #12).

Now if the 76ers offered Okafor instead of Noel, we're talking about a real potential deal- but this is Danny Ainge, and if you think about this scenario for 2 minutes,  there was ZERO chance of us giving up the #3 in a deal based around Noel.
I'm surprised how much traction this garbage has gotten.
76ers fans would be laughing about being the first team that's fleeced Ainge in recent history.

This is the kind of robbery that Ainge gets away with. Danny Ainge is the thief, he's rarely the mark.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 01:16:01 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Using logic, it's fairly easy to conclude that this is a lowball offer for a #3 pick.
Noel is a solid big man with one year on his deal. He loves Boston and we can sign him to an offer sheet in one year. So we'd be giving up the #3 for this guy and a few other scrubs when the Hawks were talking about a deal for Noel centered around Teague (who fetched #12).

Now if the 76ers offered Okafor instead of Noel, we're talking about a real potential deal- but this is Danny Ainge, and if you think about this scenario for 2 minutes,  there was ZERO chance of us giving up the #3 in a deal based around Noel.
76ers fans would be laughing about being the first team that's fleeced Ainge in recent history.

This is the kind of robbery that Ainge gets away with. Danny Ainge is the thief, he's rarely the mark.

I missed the part where logic was used here

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
How much is Noel actually worth given that you're going to have to pay him max money next season?

Great words from a great man

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
How much is Noel actually worth given that you're going to have to pay him max money next season?
I rather have 4 years of Brown at 4/5 million vs 1 Year of Noel on our team not ready for contention.   Plus gives us another body to throw at James. 
Diggles

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 01:21:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Did the Sixers offer betray an unwillingness to match a max offer sheet for Noel next summer?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Okafor was on the table, and we didn't want him, which is why Noel was the preferred target. So, no, he also turned down an Okafor for number three deal, too.

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Did the Sixers offer betray an unwillingness to match a max offer sheet for Noel next summer?

Well, it depends on Embiid. There's absolutely no point to match an offer sheet if Embiid stays healthy and works out, but if he continues to be injured and looks more and more to be a bust, I don't think they can let him walk and would match offer sheets.

So essentially the people saying that we can just sign him next year aren't really considering the fact that we very well might not have the final say on the matter.

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:17 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't love that Ainge rejected this deal for Brown.

To be honest, I don't mind Brown. 

Dunn was far and away my first choice at #3, but my second choice I was pretty much stuck 50/50 between Brown and Hield. 

I felt Hield was more NBA ready and could help us a LOT right now, but Brown has undeniable upside, and he shoul be able to contribute right away as a defender and rebounder at the three spot (much like RHJ did for the Nets) so I don't hate the pick. I'm just disappointing because I feel like Dunn is going to be an absolute stud and missing out on him hurts.

Even still, Noel is a really nice piece who would have taken care of 50% of our front court needs (we desperately need a starting caliber PF and C) and he's young enough to have grown with our team and he'd help us immediately with his shotblocking and rebounding at the very least - plus he could potentially become a very nice P&R finisher playing with Thomas.

Covington is also a solid contributer who could have been very nice insurance at the SF spot in case Turner walked away while also giving us another guy who can shoot the three.

Those two picks weren't a huge deal, but Danny acould have used them to draft stash guys or traded them for future firsts (as he did with our 30's picks) - ultimately it couldn't hurt to have them.

But I'm going to try and be positive, and I'll accept Brown with open arms and hope for the best!!

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 02:05:33 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Nobody with a clear mind would take the garbage Philly offered

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
As far as I was aware Philly also wanted a player in return. Rumoured to be Bradley. So it was a definite no from me

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Epic screwup by Ainge

Historic fail.

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
As far as I was aware Philly also wanted a player in return. Rumoured to be Bradley. So it was a definite no from me

There was absolutely no credible mention of Bradley going back. It would've been our trash like Young or Hunter to match salaries.

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I rather have 4 years of Brown at 4/5 million vs 1 Year of Noel on our team not ready for contention.   Plus gives us another body to throw at James.

the issue isn't so much Brown vs. Noel.

the problem, as I see it, is that we had a chance to solidify our front court with a player that would have made our lineup a much more complete place for Durant to consider.

drafting all those picks, we took ourselves out of the KD sweepstakes. 

with so many assets at our disposal, DA shouldn't have been such a stickler about 'winning' the deal. 

this was our chance to take a leap forward, trade for legit pieces that would have impressed KD.  not next year, not 18' ---- yesterday was the day ---- and he let his ego get in the way as he tried to game Chicago & Philly into a bidding war. 

Okafor straight up for #3 could have happened.  Danny wanted more though.  Butler for #3, Crowder & Amir could have happened.  Danny wanted to move AB instead though.

Bottom line, last night his hubris cost us a chance compete for number 18 anytime before 2020. 

Now we have to rely on his son's scouting ability (is Austin really best for that job? or did he land that job thanks to uncontested nepotism?) to draft someone who can grow into an all star.  All those picks, and I'm not sure we even got a rotation player last night. 

Nothing against Jaylen, but he's got an uphill climb with this fanbase thanks to the spot Ainge and Wyc put him in. 

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

the problem, as I see it, is that we had a chance to solidify our front court with a player that would have made our lineup a much more complete place for Durant to consider.

with so many assets at our disposal, DA shouldn't have been such a stickler about 'winning' the deal. 

this was our chance to take a leap forward, trade for legit pieces that would have impressed KD.  not next year, not 18' ---- yesterday was the day ---- and he let his ego get in the way as he tried to game Chicago & Philly into a bidding war. 

Okafor straight up for #3 could have happened.  Danny wanted more though.  Butler for #3, Crowder & Amir could have happened.  Danny wanted to move AB instead though.

Bottom line, last night his hubris cost us a chance compete for number 18 anytime before 2020. 

Now we have to rely on his son's scouting ability (is Austin really best for that job? or did he land that job thanks to uncontested nepotism?) to draft someone who can grow into an all star.  All those picks, and I'm not sure we even got a rotation player last night. 

Nothing against Jaylen, but he's got an uphill climb with this fanbase thanks to the spot Ainge and Wyc put him in.

I don't think Noel will be the deciding factor for Durant.

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I don't think Noel will be the deciding factor for Durant.
This is, however, a good indicator of the type of delusional thinking that ultimately causes people to be unhappy with the management.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."