Author Topic: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3  (Read 14290 times)

Re: Stein - Sixers offered Noel, Covington, 24, and 26 for 3
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Everyone on the Celtics subreddit is convinced the Philly offer never actually happened.  Was just a fake leak.  They find it unfathomable that we'd turn it down. 

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
So people would really trade a cost controlled contract for a high upside player for a one year rental on Noel, a D League scrub, and two late 20s picks? Like for real?

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Not suggesting that Boston would have drafted the same as Philly but Boston's day thus far making the trade would have been:

Noel
Covington
Yabusele
Zizic
Luwawu
Korkmaz

Also, still on the board and could have been selected at 23, 24, or 26 were Murray, Rabb, Labissiere, Davis, and Zubac (and Brice Johnson could have gone at 23 or 24).

I just don't see that isn't a better day than Brown, Yabusele, Zizic.
if this deal is indeed something that was on the table, I think framing the day in this manner really does call into question what was Danny thinking.  Noel's shown he's really good defensively.  A mess on offense, but really good defensively where we're weak.  They're HOPING Brown can be really good defensively and he's questionable at best on offense. 

I get the contract concerns with Noel but I think he'd be much more likely to resign if with the C's than he will be to resign with the Sixers.

Noel and Zizic (assumption is he's coming over) shore up our center position.  Covington is a decent backup behind Crowder.  the others all look like pretty solid draft and stash players

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
So people would really trade a cost controlled contract for a high upside player for a one year rental on Noel, a D League scrub, and two late 20s picks? Like for real?

Not I that's for sure.  I don't see the potential in Noel at all.  But Celtics fans always overrate "rim protection".  Been going on for like 10 years.  As if we got a shot blocker the title would immediately by won.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Since u put it that way...yes.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Not I that's for sure.  I don't see the potential in Noel at all.  But Celtics fans always overrate "rim protection".  Been going on for like 10 years.  As if we got a shot blocker the title would immediately by won.
Not saying Noel might not be good. Just seems like a lot that for a guy that they could just sign. It's not like they won't have cap space.

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 12:04:59 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Not saying Noel might not be good. Just seems like a lot that for a guy that they could just sign. It's not like they won't have cap space.

You're right about that too if people like him more than I do.  I would have to like him a lot more given he is going to be a FA like you're saying.  If he wants to join the Celtics next year and it makes sense, I could be into it.  I don't hate the guy.  I think 3 for him is bad value.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 12:10:37 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Everyone on the Celtics subreddit is convinced the Philly offer never actually happened.  Was just a fake leak.  They find it unfathomable that we'd turn it down.

There were numerous reports on this from highly credible NBA reporters. It was offered, and Danny just bit the big one on this one.

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

It's unfathomable, yet there are many here who have advocated exactly that.  I'd be flummoxed at this, if I had not remembered that this is, after all, CB forum. 

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:31 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
1 year rental is not worth the #3 pick..  Thats just crazy..
Even if Brown Doesn't become the Defensive presence that Noel Is (which honestly is still yet to be realized if we are just going off last year)  Brown still has a chance to be a Better all around player than NOEL because his Offense is currently and will continue to be 100x's better than Noel.
IF NOEL is that much of a Stud let Danny Grab him when he is a Free Agent.

Brown fits What we are doing on both sides of the ball.. Noel just one Side..
Covington would have been nice but not worth #3.. And the 2 mid round 1st are pointless being that we already have more picks than we know what to do with..

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2016, 12:32:26 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Oh my god: It wouldn't have been a one-year rental. If the trade had been made, the C's already would've received word that Noel was willing to sign an extension, and obviously the Celtics themselves would've been willing to extend him this fall or else they wouldn't sacrifice a #3 for him. He would never reach free agency. It would not be a rental.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Oh my god: It wouldn't have been a one-year rental. If the trade had been made, the C's already would've received word that Noel was willing to sign an extension, and obviously the Celtics themselves would've been willing to extend him this fall or else they wouldn't sacrifice a #3 for him. He would never reach free agency. It would not be a rental.

Yeah, I love this cute little talking point that some are using. Do they not realize that he was going to be a restricted free agent? So if Embiid doesn't work out and has injury issues, which is likely, then they're going to pay Noel and there's nothing we can do about it now.

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
1 year rental is not worth the #3 pick..  Thats just crazy..
Even if Brown Doesn't become the Defensive presence that Noel Is (which honestly is still yet to be realized if we are just going off last year)  Brown still has a chance to be a Better all around player than NOEL because his Offense is currently and will continue to be 100x's better than Noel.
IF NOEL is that much of a Stud let Danny Grab him when he is a Free Agent.

Brown fits What we are doing on both sides of the ball.. Noel just one Side..
Covington would have been nice but not worth #3.. And the 2 mid round 1st are pointless being that we already have more picks than we know what to do with..

I agree. He fits right alongside all of our other non-shooters.  ;)

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 12:53:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Maybe the Celtics received word that he wanted a max extension.  Also, he would be a restricted free agent, so the Celtics could match any offer sheet.  I think this draft shows that Ainge might have a clear direction of Plan A being to make moves in free agency this summer and the next, so he is unwilling to make moves that potentially lock up significant cap space with non-stars, including using his late first round picks on possible stashes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 01:02:00 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Maybe the Celtics received word that he wanted a max extension.  Also, he would be a restricted free agent, so the Celtics could match any offer sheet.  I think this draft shows that Ainge might have a clear direction of Plan A being to make moves in free agency this summer and the next, so he is unwilling to make moves that potentially lock up significant cap space with non-stars, including using his late first round picks on possible stashes.

This draft pretty clearly shows two things.

1.  Ainge really likes the guys he already has and didn't see a lot of better players in this draft.  16 and 23 could have easily been guys who would have come in and competed with Mickey, Hunter, Rozier and Young for playing time.  Ainge couldn't have been too impressed with what was available or too unhappy with the players currently on the roster.

2.  Ainge does not think this team is close to being a legitimate contender.  He obviously could have some moves, like trading for Noel or Thaddeus Young, that might have made this team better right away but Ainge is pretty clearly keeping his powder dry for more than that.

Mike