Author Topic: Thunder shopping Ibaka  (Read 7112 times)

Re: Thunder Shopping IBAKA
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is very interesting. Who could they potentially be targeting to replace Ibaka at 4, though? With Durant's impending free agency, this makes no sense unless they have someone set to take his spot in the starting lineup. I can't imagine that Kanter is it.

I would certainly think that trading for Ibaka would help in the Durant pursuit, too. I think Bradley would be the guy they'd desire from us.

I'd do Bradley, Young, and 16 or Bradley and KO for Ibaka. You'd have to try and balance making them better and more attractive to Durant versus making us better and more attractive to Durant. We'd still have room for Horford and Durant in this scenario, in addition to the 3 pick.

They're probably anticipating KD re-signing on a two-year deal. Next summer, they'll have to let go of one of KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, Kanter, or Adams, because they just can't afford to pay all of those guys. They kinda have to shop Ibaka or Kanter and knowing Presti, he's probably higher on Kanter's potential than Ibaka's.

It's probably less about replacing Ibaka outright and more about the upcoming financial issue.

I think it's more about the return Ibaka would get compared to Kanter. Is anyone going to trade for him and that contract?

Yes, because Kanter's proven in the postseason that he most certainly has a role on a good team. People are overstating his contract.

The Thunder would have no interest in Smart. None. He's not bringing anything to the table that they already don't have nor anything that they need.

I'm sure they would be quite happy to start Westbrook and Smart as an offense/defense combo.

I'm sure they wouldn't, because that isn't a true upgrade to the shooting guard position. They'd have no interest in Smart. It doesn't matter if he's a better defender, he's still a bad shooter much like Roberson. They'd be way more interested in Bradley.

Also, they'd be getting two years of Smart on his rookie deal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:50:41 PM by Endless Paradise »

Re: Thunder shopping Ibaka
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Can't believe they are shopping Ibaka!  In no way would that be popular with Westbrook and Durant.  They can't shop Kanter though because they would have to pay to get rid of that
albatross.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think it's more about the return Ibaka would get compared to Kanter. Is anyone going to trade for him and that contract?
I'm sure many teams would, but OKC is seeking roster stability and room financially to sign all their players. Moving Kanter doesn't help them with that.

The issue is Ibaka's next contract and their ability to manage their roster with Adams coming up for a contract as well. Also don't forget they reportedly like Mitch McGary a lot too.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
This is very interesting. Who could they potentially be targeting to replace Ibaka at 4, though? With Durant's impending free agency, this makes no sense unless they have someone set to take his spot in the starting lineup. I can't imagine that Kanter is it.

I would certainly think that trading for Ibaka would help in the Durant pursuit, too. I think Bradley would be the guy they'd desire from us.

I'd do Bradley, Young, and 16 or Bradley and KO for Ibaka. You'd have to try and balance making them better and more attractive to Durant versus making us better and more attractive to Durant. We'd still have room for Horford and Durant in this scenario, in addition to the 3 pick.

They're probably anticipating KD re-signing on a two-year deal. Next summer, they'll have to let go of one of KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, Kanter, or Adams, because they just can't afford to pay all of those guys. They kinda have to shop Ibaka or Kanter and knowing Presti, he's probably higher on Kanter's potential than Ibaka's.

It's probably less about replacing Ibaka outright and more about the upcoming financial issue.

REALLY can't imagine that sits well with KD. That's been a knock on them all along with them being cheap and not being able to afford the luxury tax. I think that Kanter deal was a mistake, because it forced their hand to pay him that big contract, which is why they're having to let Ibaka go now. A Kanter/Adams pairing is far, far from ideal, and Ibaka was a much, much better fit there.

They're really counting their chickens before their eggs hatch in this situation.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:51:33 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
The Kanter deal absolutely wasn't a mistake and the fact that they got through the Spurs series should put that train of thought to bed. They had to re-sign Kanter. If they didn't re-sign him, they wouldn't have been able to replace him with a free agent because they would've been capped out. They would've lost an asset for no reason at all.

The Thunder didn't make a "mistake" in retaining Kanter; this was just an unavoidable, unfortunate situation. I'd rather see them trade Kanter, too, but I always knew, as the season progressed and especially during the playoffs, that they were going to have to trade one of Ibaka or Kanter, as they're the two most expendable big money pieces.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I would do something like Bradley or Smart for Ibaka solely for the reason that it probably kicks up the KD to Boston odds by a non-zero amount. (Assuming that Ainge knows that KD hasn't already decided to just resign with OKC.)

Great words from a great man

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
The Kanter deal absolutely wasn't a mistake and the fact that they got through the Spurs series should put that train of thought to bed. They had to re-sign Kanter. If they didn't re-sign him, they wouldn't have been able to replace him with a free agent because they would've been capped out. They would've lost an asset for no reason at all.

The Thunder didn't make a "mistake" in retaining Kanter; this was just an unavoidable, unfortunate situation. I'd rather see them trade Kanter, too, but I always knew, as the season progressed and especially during the playoffs, that they were going to have to trade one of Ibaka or Kanter, as they're the two most expendable big money pieces.
Kanter's contract is an anchor.  OKC was basically terrible without Ibaka on the floor creating space in the entire playoffs.  They had a -4.5 net rating throughout the playoffs without Ibaka.  Kanter soul crushed their offense when he was out there.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm sure many teams would, but OKC is seeking roster stability and room financially to sign all their players. Moving Kanter doesn't help them with that.

The issue is Ibaka's next contract and their ability to manage their roster with Adams coming up for a contract as well. Also don't forget they reportedly like Mitch McGary a lot too.

That's what I thought, but he did not play in GS series. Why?

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
OKC moving Ibaka is a clear sign that they don't think he is that good anymore, and they will not resign him.

I pass with both hands and get out of the way.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
OKC moving Ibaka is a clear sign that they don't think he is that good anymore, and they will not resign him.

Check out their contract situation. They can't afford to pay everyone.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'm sure they wouldn't, because that isn't a true upgrade to the shooting guard position. They'd have no interest in Smart. It doesn't matter if he's a better defender, he's still a bad shooter much like Roberson. They'd be way more interested in Bradley.

Now Smart isn't an upgrade on Andre Roberson? I thought I had heard it all. Guess not. If you dislike Smart, you would haaaaatttttteeeee Roberson. The only reason he plays is because OKC went with the most extreme "we have Westbrook and Durant so let's play a 1 trick starter" move in the league.

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Now Smart isn't an upgrade on Andre Roberson? I thought I had heard it all. Guess not. If you dislike Smart, you would haaaaatttttteeeee Roberson. The only reason he plays is because OKC went with the most extreme "we have Westbrook and Durant so let's play a 1 trick starter" move in the league.

I like how you're ignoring the point that Smart is a bad shooter, which is what OKC is looking to improve at the shooting guard position. I'm sure OKC is jumping at the chance to replace their 31% 3 point shooter in Roberson with a 25% shooter in Smart.

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton

This is not true he is clearly still very effective.  I doubt they would trade him unless they know that Durant is leaving. They then would have reason to offload an asset like Ibaka while they still can as next year he will be UFA.

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I like how you're ignoring the point that Smart is a bad shooter, which is what OKC is looking to improve at the shooting guard position.

Beggars can't be choosers- OKC getting back a shooter for Ibaka isn't the only scenario. Smart would be excellent value, period.

Don't be fooled by the stats. Roberson only shoots completely uncontested shots as the 5th option on the floor and still can't hit 30% from deep or even make free throws. He can't pass. He plays man-to-man hustle defense and that's it.

OKC would like another shooter, yes, but making that the only option in an Ibaka deal is a huge assumption. And Smart is a better shooter than Roberson, albeit still not a good outside threat. I'd bet money he can hit closer to 35% in OKC though, with wide open looks.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not interested.