Author Topic: Brooklyn = FA hotspot?  (Read 6904 times)

Re: Brooklyn = FA hotspot?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2016, 03:51:30 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Nets aren't gonna do anything "scary."

Would be funny if they ended up signing Rondo, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullinger.
So the Bucks ended up with the 10th pick this year with 33 wins.

35 wins = the 11th worst record in the league.

I guess a better way the phrase the question would have been to ask what signings you think Brooklyn needs to make in order to get to 33+ wins?    Seeing the pick fall outside the top 10 would be a bummer.

Rondo and Jennings are about the only names of free agents I've seen who are interested in the Nets. There is one estimate that the average team has $33 million in cap. Thus the only apparent reason to go to the Nets is because no one else will pay you. These two names fit that profile. Certainly no one's going there to compete for something for many years to come.

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2016, 04:42:54 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
ahh, brooklyn. where NBA players to go to get paid when they know their career is about to die.

no effing way conley leaves money on the table at a winning memphis franchise to join that dumpster fire.

same with horford, derozan, whiteside, etc.

just no chance.

but bazemore,  rondo, ryan anderson, festus ezili? maybe.

maybe.

but only if the other 20+ teams with cap space pass first. the nets situation is that bad. you can bet the players know this, and will only go there if it's an obscene overpay.

there might be some other guys more in the nets' wheelhouse.

guys like sullinger, lin, pachulia, jared dudley, jr smith, brandon jennings.

maybe even ty lawson or michael beasley.

now we're cooking.

warriors better be scared, that record win total is in jeopardy.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Jeremy Lin 3 years 36 mil.  The signing of mediocre players to keep the Nets in the lottery has started. :P

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Jeremy Lin 3 years 36 mil.  The signing of mediocre players to keep the Nets in the lottery has started. :P
and amazingly, lin actually will help that team. so far, so good on the nets free agent front.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
and amazingly, lin actually will help that team. so far, so good on the nets free agent front.

I don't see it. He may put up decent numbers but they won't translate into W's. Should make it even more difficult for them to get a true impact player.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I don't see it. He may put up decent numbers but they won't translate into W's. Should make it even more difficult for them to get a true impact player.
good points. i was thinking that ANYONE would probably be an improvement. but you have shown me the error of my ways.  ;D

tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 07:22:20 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
My assessment on the first page of this thread (and other threads) is still spot on.

Jeremy Lin. Justin Hamilton. Trevor Booker.

Those picks are looking better and better!
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
My assessment on the first page of this thread (and other threads) is still spot on.

u think so? brooklyn will almost certainly be a lottery team, while we're likely to be in the playoffs, but they have a few things goin for em. more competent management, RHJ would be comin back from injury, the nets would actually get a draft pick this time (instead of having to trade for one), lopez is lookin healthier, they have a state-of-the-art practice facility as well as their own d-league team.

i believe jaylen brown will be the best pick the c's get from the nets tbh.

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Their strategy will be to tread water until 2018.. tank hard for when they get their pick back
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Offline Celtics PRIDE Never Die

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4

u think so? brooklyn will almost certainly be a lottery team, while we're likely to be in the playoffs, but they have a few things goin for em. more competent management, RHJ would be comin back from injury, the nets would actually get a draft pick this time (instead of having to trade for one), lopez is lookin healthier, they have a state-of-the-art practice facility as well as their own d-league team.

i believe jaylen brown will be the best pick the c's get from the nets tbh.
Lopez was healthy last year and they were the 3rd worst team in the NBA.  State of the art practice facilities and D-League teams don't win you basketball games.  And you really think a likely 20th or so pick from the Celtics next year is going to make a huge difference in the Nets '17-'18 season?  That's some awfully high expectations for a fairly mediocre pick.  Even if they draft well and it has value in the end, what are the odds it does so as a rookie which would be the only year that matters to the Celtics?

I do agree they may finally have competent management, but Billy King dug such a hole for them that the best they've been able to do so far is replacing Jarrett Jack and Thaddeus Young with Jeremy Lin and Trevor Booker.  So far, they haven't really upgraded their team, and I don't really see any realistic targets for them that would move the needle.  They are going to be really bad again unless Atkinson is an absolute miracle worker.