Author Topic: Getting Noel would be an excellent way to draw Durant/Horford  (Read 3067 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2956
Think about that potential lineup -

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: AB, Smart
SF: Durant, Crowder
PF: Horford, JJ, Mickey
C: Noel, KO

That's a ridiculous defensive lineup with plenty of offensive firepower and plenty of shooting. That bench is also in contention for the best in the league. Durant would get 30+ shots a night if he wanted. Further, IT is an excellent second option in this kind of lineup, and Horford works excellently as a third option, with AB and Noel being high-end defensive role players that serve a critical function for us.

It also allows Horford to play his preferred position of power forward, and our small-ball versatility/options would be outstanding. IT, AB, Crowder, Durant, and Horford is a ridiculous small-ball lineup that we can use to match-up with at the end of games. Though we'll have to pay him next summer, Noel is cheap this year, which would also allow us to keep Turner if need be. We'd also have the Brooklyn draft picks (swap next year) to keep supplying us with younger, high-end talent the next two years, so I think adding Noel while keeping all of our other guys would be an excellent draw for Horford and Durant.

We'd just have to get them to team up together to come here. But with the several reports discussing Horford being on the list of guys that Durant would want to play with, I don't think that will be a problem.

Re: Getting Noel would be an excellent way to draw Durant/Horford
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I love Noel but I don't know how I really feel about moving the 3rd pick for him.  I get moving 3 for Okafor, because I think okafor can develop into a star.   Noel has DPOY potential but his contract situation is a little alarming. 

If Dunn is actually a rich man's Marcus smart I'd feel a lot more comfortable about just keeping Dunn and trading Smart for Noel (who despite recent Media suggestions, is still a lesser asset than okafor).

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Definitely an interesting line-up especially when including Durant.. Is Noel on his wish list though?

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
Definitely an interesting line-up especially when including Durant.. Is Noel on his wish list though?

agreed...I don't think that Durant would NOT be pleased with Noel. (I couldn't help the double negative)

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think the deal is Noel and next years #1 for #3 and and small asset. The separation is DA is going to hold out for next years #1 to be unprotected.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think the deal is Noel and next years #1 for #3 and and small asset. The separation is DA is going to hold out for next years #1 to be unprotected.
Cue in obligatory reference to smoking substance. No-one is giving you two assets that are both arguably bigger than the #3 this season, no matter in how much of a pickle they are.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Cue in obligatory reference to smoking substance. No-one is giving you two assets that are both arguably bigger than the #3 this season, no matter in how much of a pickle they are.

First of all its a pretty known fact that Noel is not a better asset then #3. Next im not saying its going to happen its what DA is holding out for. Also GMs fall in love with player and tend to go overboard under pressure. (See DA trying to trade for Winslow last year)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I'd love that. Sixers get their man, get a core to grow together, and we get "the value".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I love Noel but I don't know how I really feel about moving the 3rd pick for him.  I get moving 3 for Okafor, because I think okafor can develop into a star.   Noel has DPOY potential but his contract situation is a little alarming. 

If Dunn is actually a rich man's Marcus smart I'd feel a lot more comfortable about just keeping Dunn and trading Smart for Noel (who despite recent Media suggestions, is still a lesser asset than okafor).

I don't expect Ainge to trade #3 for Noel straight up.  My gut says it would also be for a future pick, and my hope would be Saric.  Noel entering the final year of his rookie deal lowers his value.  He's a good player, but beginning next season, he will no longer be a bargain.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

First of all its a pretty known fact that Noel is not a better asset then #3. Next im not saying its going to happen its what DA is holding out for. Also GMs fall in love with player and tend to go overboard under pressure. (See DA trying to trade for Winslow last year)

Not really. Got a link?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown

Gotta hand it to you sir, your belief in this Dude is probably stronger than his belief in himself..   

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

At this point, I think Noel's ceiling is higher and more attainable than anyone we can get at 3 that would actually play in the next two years. I don't buy the Dunn hype. I think he's essentially Marcus Smart with less defense and a more polished offensive game. But the reason Smart is so valuable is because he's elite defensively and can quarterback a defense from a perimeter position. I also think we're just not in a position to draft someone like Chriss or Bender, who though they might have a higher ceiling than someone like Noel, I don't think they could ultimately reach it due to the context of our team and where we're at.

As for Okafor, I'm just not a big fan of him. You have to piece your team around him to cover up his weaknesses; whereas, with Noel you can literally plug him into any team and he'd help their defense, rebounding, and rim protection. At least with Noel we can legitimately have the best defense in the league, and we know he has DPOY-type potential due to his unheard of defensive numbers that he's put up in his first two years at a very young age.

EDIT: He's also a Boston-area native, which helps him ultimately being a long-term, career option for us.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I don't expect Ainge to trade #3 for Noel straight up.  My gut says it would also be for a future pick, and my hope would be Saric.  Noel entering the final year of his rookie deal lowers his value.  He's a good player, but beginning next season, he will no longer be a bargain.

Saltlover, what do you think about that lineup?

My only bit of concern would be Horford full-time at the PF. However, Noel is probably the best perimeter-defending big in the league, so he could always guard the quicker PF's while still leaving a shot-blocker in the paint in Horford.

Do you think that team is enough to draw Horford and Durant? It's hard to find a team that can offer as much immediate competitiveness alongside future versatility and promise.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A skinny, poor finishing, injury prone center is going to be a draw for a superstar wing scorer that wants to win a title next year and an All Star pf/c who wants to stop getting the bulkier defensive assignment every night.

Yeah. Sure.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
I will wait for Noel to be a free agent unless the Sixers are offering me a Herschel Walker or Nets kind of deal  :laugh:

Durant will not be leaving OKC this year..at least I don't think he will...if we hear otherwise from his agent and Noel is on his list of players to play with, that changes everything.