Author Topic: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?  (Read 9974 times)

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Yeah, uh, chambers, did you get to the last pages? Check out the post by stellation. The yearbook thing has a reasonable explanation. It could actually be the case that it should be to Maker's credit that he is pictured next to kids four or five years older...he very well could have been a mature 12-year-old or 13-year-old amongst young adults, per the not-uncommon setup at schools like that. Still only a reasonable explanation, plenty of room for suspicion, etc. But it ain't proof of what this thread claims it to be. And if it ain't what this thread says it is, then good for the Bucks and good for Maker for ignoring the noise.

I didn't get to the last page.

So to be in the yearbook in Australia means you are in the 12th grade. (i'm Australian).
he graduated year 12, six years ago in 2010.

His representative, Ed Smith, isn't exactly the cleanest whistle in cupboard.

So yeah he was either 13 years old and mistakenly completed 12th grade, or he's misrepresented his age.

Only thing that's been misreported is that he changed his name. He's been Thon maker all the way through.

But yeah, it's hard to fathom that the Bucks wouldn't have investigated this pretty deeply before using #10 on him.

Here's a video of the guy going through the yearbook.
https://vid.me/ncxK

Thon is either 22/23 (or older) or he mistakenly completed year 12 at age 13.

Generally in Australia, Sudanese refugees will be slightly older than their classmates to help adjust to school/life in Australia.
That's why I find it very hard to believe he graduated mistakenly at age 13.
I'm not buying stetallion's story about his english program meaning he's in the year 12 yearbook.1. Thon attended Aranmore College in Perth- it is a standard 7-12 High School (State schools in WA are 8-12, although they're moving to 7-12 to align with civilised society). His attendance there is confirmed by his teacher in this article.

2. Aranmore is where the year book photo is from, you can follow the link above if you like and you'll see it's the same uniform (kids attending a state school aren't going to be wearing a tie, even for a ****n photo!). The school isn't that far from Mirrabooka (which is a suburb of Perth).

3. The school runs a program for new arrivals to the country to help them integrate into Australian schooling, if you'd like to consider enrolling you can find out more here. I put a call in to an expert who works at a similar school running a similar program on this side of the country (my mother!) who confirmed these programs commonly run as a year agnostic thing (so all years may be in the same class), she pointed out in addition it's not unheard of to accept kids outside of the regular age range for the school (her school is 7-12 but currently has a student in the program who agewise would normally be in Year 6).

So I think you can probably remove at least the assumption he was at a minimum in Year 8 based on point 1, and may want to consider that if his picture is in a class group with folks a few years older than him then it might not really mean much based on point 3.

I'm an Australian from Perth. I used to live near Mirrabooka and play pick up hoops at Herb Graham Rec Centre in Mirrabooka. Everything chambers has said is spot on except Aranmore is a private school, not a state school. There is no way Thon is 19 years old. He is more likely 22 or 23.

Here's what I don't get.  Doesn't Australian government documents show him as 19 years old?  They would have to, since they would have been used to obtain the Canadian visa.

So if he lied about his age, it would have been when he moved from Sudan to Australia.  His documentation regarding his age would have then been used to put him in an age appropriate class.  If the docs showed him to be 13, he would not have placed in a class with 17 year olds.  Couldn't it be possible that the year book lists all students, not just seniors?

I'm not saying he's definitely not lying about his age, but the yearbook story doesn't make any sense.

Re: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Maybe the yearbook put Thon's picture in with the wrong class?

Maybe someone trying to mess with Thon has created a fake yearbook page (seems like some pretty simple editing, cutting and pasting would do it) and spread it around the Internet?

I'm not buying this flimsy yearbook thing as hard evidence that Maker is 23 years old.  That seems silly.  Basically, what this is saying is, he graduates from high school in Australia at the age of eighteen, comes over to the US, tells everyone he's thirteen or fourteen, and everyone buys it, nobody questions it until now?

I don't know, the yearbook photo scandal being fake seems much more plausible to me.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Here's what I don't get.  Doesn't Australian government documents show him as 19 years old?  They would have to, since they would have been used to obtain the Canadian visa.

So if he lied about his age, it would have been when he moved from Sudan to Australia.  His documentation regarding his age would have then been used to put him in an age appropriate class.  If the docs showed him to be 13, he would not have placed in a class with 17 year olds.  Couldn't it be possible that the year book lists all students, not just seniors?

I'm not saying he's definitely not lying about his age, but the yearbook story doesn't make any sense.

I don't know anything about Australia, Sudan refugees, immigration, etc.  But the way I imagine it went (if any of this is true):

Thon Maker arrives in Perth as a 13-14 year old.  Here's this refugee straight from Sudan with no documentation, but we're telling you he's 13-14 years old.  Ok, here's his documentation.  Then he goes to high school for 4 years in Perth.

Now shady basketball scout finds him.  Moves him across the country to Sydney (this is like LA to New York distance wise).  Says here's this refugee straight from Sudan, he's 13-14 years old but he has no documentation.  Ok, here's new documentation for him.

Or shady basketball scout just greased a few palms.  Both Sudan and Uganda where Maker grew up are extremely corrupt and prone to bribes.

Not knowing anything about the actual process, either seems plausible to me at this time.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I don't know anything about Australia, Sudan refugees, immigration, etc.  But the way I imagine it went (if any of this is true):

Thon Maker arrives in Perth as a 13-14 year old.  Here's this refugee straight from Sudan with no documentation, but we're telling you he's 13-14 years old.  Ok, here's his documentation.  Then he goes to high school for 4 years in Perth.

Now shady basketball scout finds him.  Moves him across the country to Sydney (this is like LA to New York distance wise).  Says here's this refugee straight from Sudan, he's 13-14 years old but he has no documentation.  Ok, here's new documentation for him.

Or shady basketball scout just greased a few palms.  Both Sudan and Uganda where Maker grew up are extremely corrupt and prone to bribes.

Not knowing anything about the actual process, either seems plausible to me at this time.

That thought crossed my mind, but I find it hard to believe that a shady basketball scout would have the power to change Australian government documentation even with bribes.  Australia is not a third world country.

Your first scenario would mean there are two sets of federal government documentation for him.  I would think that would have been discovered when he moved to the U.S. and then
Canada.  If not, Australian federal employees would be looking into it now.

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I'm an Australian from Perth. I used to live near Mirrabooka and play pick up hoops at Herb Graham Rec Centre in Mirrabooka. Everything chambers has said is spot on except Aranmore is a private school, not a state school.

Do you understand that the bolded parts of chambers's post were actually a quote from stellation who is also Australian like you and who is arguing that Maker could very well be 19?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't really care if this is true or not, but the idea that those YouTube highlight reels everyone was gushing over a few years back were actually just footage of a 20 year old man dominating 15 year olds is pretty funny I think.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This image (with the caption: Thon Maker at Year 12 Formal in 2010 (When he was supposedly 13) with 18 year olds) is used as further evidence

Source with comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4qeyn5/thon_maker_at_year_12_formal_in_2010_when_he_was/

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
This image (with the caption: Thon Maker at Year 12 Formal in 2010 (When he was supposedly 13) with 18 year olds) is used as further evidence

Source with comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4qeyn5/thon_maker_at_year_12_formal_in_2010_when_he_was/

If he were taking classes with kids four or five years older than him and subsequently getting his picture put in the yearbook with them, then him attending the same fornal as them would be in the same vein.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

If he were taking classes with kids four or five years older than him and subsequently getting his picture put in the yearbook with them, then him attending the same fornal as them would be in the same vein.

If he is actually 23, I wonder if he's dated any underage girls.  That could force an investigation.

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Or vice versa?!

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Looking forward to Thon's cameo in the next 21 Jump Street sequel.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Here are some funny comments on Reddit.

Thon Maker: high school was so nice, he went through twice

doobiebrotherWest • 5h
Thon Maker: "That's what I love about these high school girls. I keep getting older, they keep staying my classmates"

chapter-xiiiKnicks • 3h
Alright alright alriiiight

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/29/nbas-thon-maker-my-passport-proves-im-really-19/

I hate to put a tmz source lol
The question is does he look like a 7th grader or a junior in high school in that picture?  I would lean towards him looking more like a 16 year old than a 12 year old but not definitively.

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Looking forward to Thon's cameo in the next 21 Jump Street sequel.

Lol, TP ;D.