Author Topic: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?  (Read 10008 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Given the sources i'd say it was rubbish and this is Australia we are talking about not Sudan, you can just call the school and get details into Thon which I'm sure all teams did before the draft. I'd say if he was lying about his age it'd be the opposite as a lot of migrant families lie that the children are older then they really are so they can enrol them in school as the family can't afford child care. There is also scientific testing now that can work out how old you are within a few months.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Let me see that Thon...;D.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Think they drafted him because he can ball not because of his age. TBH even if he was coming in at 24 years old he still would of got picked up early, because he can ball! He was drafted at 10 and he was supposed to be a late 1st so I know they wasn't thinking about the age being a factor at that time. Isn't top 10 players expected to be near NBA ready?

I don't know what to think about this story.

But I have a really hard time believing that Milwaukee would draft Thon Maker at #10 if they knew he was around 24 years old. Dude is a pretty raw player, he's got size and a few skills but looks like he needs at least a couple years development. If he's 24, he's a lot less likely to reach your idea of a "peak" for him than he would be at 19. Look at how much people talked about Hield's age and Dunn's age. They were two Nd three years younger than 24.

No way they took him at 10 if they had a legit reason to believe he wasn't 19. And if this story proves to be true, which it may not be, someone there made a huge mistake.

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Given the sources i'd say it was rubbish and this is Australia we are talking about not Sudan, you can just call the school and get details into Thon which I'm sure all teams did before the draft. I'd say if he was lying about his age it'd be the opposite as a lot of migrant families lie that the children are older then they really are so they can enrol them in school as the family can't afford child care. There is also scientific testing now that can work out how old you are within a few months.

I'm thinking this is rubbish too.  His Australian Visa says he's 19.  That means in 2010, he would have been pretending he was 13 and yet the school had him enrolled as a senior?  That doesn't reconcile.  Also, the pictures of him show him about as tall as his classmates.  He should have been a foot taller than them.  It may just be a guy that slightly resembles him.  It may even be a guy with the same name as there were a lot of Sudanese immigrants.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Lots of rumors serge ibaka is really 30 and not 26. This stuff isn't uncommon for these guys from other countries outside the US and Europe.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'm not sure it matters much now.

Unless the Bucks were living under a rock, rumors of Maker's real age have been circulating for a while now.  As such, they took the chance and drafted him.

Buyer beware!

Rak

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Think they drafted him because he can ball not because of his age. TBH even if he was coming in at 24 years old he still would of got picked up early, because he can ball! He was drafted at 10 and he was supposed to be a late 1st so I know they wasn't thinking about the age being a factor at that time. Isn't top 10 players expected to be near NBA ready?

I don't know what to think about this story.

But I have a really hard time believing that Milwaukee would draft Thon Maker at #10 if they knew he was around 24 years old. Dude is a pretty raw player, he's got size and a few skills but looks like he needs at least a couple years development. If he's 24, he's a lot less likely to reach your idea of a "peak" for him than he would be at 19. Look at how much people talked about Hield's age and Dunn's age. They were two Nd three years younger than 24.

No way they took him at 10 if they had a legit reason to believe he wasn't 19. And if this story proves to be true, which it may not be, someone there made a huge mistake.
Yep, no way they would draft him at #10 if his real age is 24.

I'm still dubious about the rumours though, I find it hard to believe MIL's FO did such a bad job.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Yeah, uh, chambers, did you get to the last pages? Check out the post by stellation. The yearbook thing has a reasonable explanation. It could actually be the case that it should be to Maker's credit that he is pictured next to kids four or five years older...he very well could have been a mature 12-year-old or 13-year-old amongst young adults, per the not-uncommon setup at schools like that. Still only a reasonable explanation, plenty of room for suspicion, etc. But it ain't proof of what this thread claims it to be. And if it ain't what this thread says it is, then good for the Bucks and good for Maker for ignoring the noise.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah, uh, chambers, did you get to the last pages? Check out the post by stellation. The yearbook thing has a reasonable explanation. It could actually be the case that it should be to Maker's credit that he is pictured next to kids four or five years older...he very well could have been a mature 12-year-old or 13-year-old amongst young adults, per the not-uncommon setup at schools like that. Still only a reasonable explanation, plenty of room for suspicion, etc. But it ain't proof of what this thread claims it to be. And if it ain't what this thread says it is, then good for the Bucks and good for Maker for ignoring the noise.

I didn't get to the last page.

So to be in the yearbook in Australia means you are in the 12th grade. (i'm Australian).
he graduated year 12, six years ago in 2010.

His representative, Ed Smith, isn't exactly the cleanest whistle in cupboard.

So yeah he was either 13 years old and mistakenly completed 12th grade, or he's misrepresented his age.

Only thing that's been misreported is that he changed his name. He's been Thon maker all the way through.

But yeah, it's hard to fathom that the Bucks wouldn't have investigated this pretty deeply before using #10 on him.

Here's a video of the guy going through the yearbook.
https://vid.me/ncxK

Thon is either 22/23 (or older) or he mistakenly completed year 12 at age 13.

Generally in Australia, Sudanese refugees will be slightly older than their classmates to help adjust to school/life in Australia.
That's why I find it very hard to believe he graduated mistakenly at age 13.
I'm not buying stetallion's story about his english program meaning he's in the year 12 yearbook.1. Thon attended Aranmore College in Perth- it is a standard 7-12 High School (State schools in WA are 8-12, although they're moving to 7-12 to align with civilised society). His attendance there is confirmed by his teacher in this article.

2. Aranmore is where the year book photo is from, you can follow the link above if you like and you'll see it's the same uniform (kids attending a state school aren't going to be wearing a tie, even for a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n photo!). The school isn't that far from Mirrabooka (which is a suburb of Perth).

3. The school runs a program for new arrivals to the country to help them integrate into Australian schooling, if you'd like to consider enrolling you can find out more here. I put a call in to an expert who works at a similar school running a similar program on this side of the country (my mother!) who confirmed these programs commonly run as a year agnostic thing (so all years may be in the same class), she pointed out in addition it's not unheard of to accept kids outside of the regular age range for the school (her school is 7-12 but currently has a student in the program who agewise would normally be in Year 6).

So I think you can probably remove at least the assumption he was at a minimum in Year 8 based on point 1, and may want to consider that if his picture is in a class group with folks a few years older than him then it might not really mean much based on point 3.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:20:52 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
What's also interesting is one Reddit user points out that the Bucks also drafted Ersan Ilyasova and Yi Jianlian, other players who were believed to be older than their listed age.

Though that Reddit user said they were all drafted by John Hammond, but it looks like Hammond became GM after Ilyasova was drafted.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
At first I thought this was just a malicious rumor but I'm starting to suspect it may in fact be true. All the pieces seem to fit. Just don't see why anybody would go to all this trouble to fabricate something like this.

Still hope Thon succeeds, however old he may be.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

Re: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I merged together the two Maker threads.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I saw it.

It said he was 30
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

I didn't get to the last page.

So to be in the yearbook in Australia means you are in the 12th grade. (i'm Australian).
he graduated year 12, six years ago in 2010.

His representative, Ed Smith, isn't exactly the cleanest whistle in cupboard.

So yeah he was either 13 years old and mistakenly completed 12th grade, or he's misrepresented his age.

Only thing that's been misreported is that he changed his name. He's been Thon maker all the way through.

But yeah, it's hard to fathom that the Bucks wouldn't have investigated this pretty deeply before using #10 on him.

Here's a video of the guy going through the yearbook.
https://vid.me/ncxK

Thon is either 22/23 (or older) or he mistakenly completed year 12 at age 13.

Generally in Australia, Sudanese refugees will be slightly older than their classmates to help adjust to school/life in Australia.
That's why I find it very hard to believe he graduated mistakenly at age 13.
I'm not buying stetallion's story about his english program meaning he's in the year 12 yearbook.1. Thon attended Aranmore College in Perth- it is a standard 7-12 High School (State schools in WA are 8-12, although they're moving to 7-12 to align with civilised society). His attendance there is confirmed by his teacher in this article.

2. Aranmore is where the year book photo is from, you can follow the link above if you like and you'll see it's the same uniform (kids attending a state school aren't going to be wearing a tie, even for a ****n photo!). The school isn't that far from Mirrabooka (which is a suburb of Perth).

3. The school runs a program for new arrivals to the country to help them integrate into Australian schooling, if you'd like to consider enrolling you can find out more here. I put a call in to an expert who works at a similar school running a similar program on this side of the country (my mother!) who confirmed these programs commonly run as a year agnostic thing (so all years may be in the same class), she pointed out in addition it's not unheard of to accept kids outside of the regular age range for the school (her school is 7-12 but currently has a student in the program who agewise would normally be in Year 6).

So I think you can probably remove at least the assumption he was at a minimum in Year 8 based on point 1, and may want to consider that if his picture is in a class group with folks a few years older than him then it might not really mean much based on point 3.

I'm an Australian from Perth. I used to live near Mirrabooka and play pick up hoops at Herb Graham Rec Centre in Mirrabooka. Everything chambers has said is spot on except Aranmore is a private school, not a state school. There is no way Thon is 19 years old. He is more likely 22 or 23.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
ha, ha...i cannot even begin to imagine the general rending of garments that would take place on this board were ainge to have somehow drafted thon maker as some suggested here.  ;D

well, we shall see what results. he may still turn out to be good nba player, albeit for perhaps a few years less than originally envisioned.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva