Author Topic: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?  (Read 10043 times)

Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Hadn't realized there were questions, but saw this today:

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 2h2 hours ago

Several teams have entirely ruled Thon Maker out of the first round due to his age. Multiple sources believe Maker to be 21-23, not 19.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745966263525122050

Maker should be in play in the second round ...

Re: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
at least he isn't 30

Re: Who has seen Thon Maker's birth certificate?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Isn't it obvious? Trump.

;)

Mike

Rumor: Thon Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Rumor is that teams are ruling him out of the 1st round because they don't believe he is 19 yr old. Multiple sources believe Maker to be 21-23. Saw it on a few twitter hits. So this is the google results on, "Multiple sources believe Maker to be 21-23".

https://www.google.com/search?q=Multiple+sources+believe+Maker+to+be+21-23&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Re: Rumor: Thon Maker
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Ouch.  I have no idea if that is true or not.  But if I wanted him to slip down to a pick later in the draft, this would be a nasty little bit of FUD to circulate.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Some team in the lower half of the first round is playing dirty to get him to drop, hahaha. ;) But hey, maybe really. Even if other front offices don't buy the rumor, an owner might think that fans hearing this rumor will support an already risky Maker pick even less, making the pick less appetizing to teams looking to energize their fan bases.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
A Reddit user had a yearbook from 2010-11 or something like that, shows Thon graduating in that year. So, basically confirmed he's not 19.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
A Reddit user had a yearbook from 2010-11 or something like that, shows Thon graduating in that year. So, basically confirmed he's not 19.
Seems like hogwash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4ph18e/ubigcritic_reveals_proof_of_thon_makers_true_age/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Seems like hogwash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4ph18e/ubigcritic_reveals_proof_of_thon_makers_true_age/

That user stole it from the original source though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4pgnd5/comment/d4ksbb2
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He would probably still be worth a late first.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Good, that means he's closer to fully mature. Take him at 23 or 31 or 35.

Done.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Seems like hogwash.

That user stole it from the original source though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4pgnd5/comment/d4ksbb2
There is basically a 0% chance that Maker graduated high school as an 18 year old in 2011 and then just lied about his age for 5 years and no one noticed. If he is older than he claims to be, then hes been claiming to be that age since he was like 8. You dont just decide when you turn 19 that you ar gonna be 16. Thats way to obvious exactly 100% of NBA scouts would have figured that out within like 15 minutes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If true, god help me I will literally yelp with joy if we can get him still in the early 2nd. Age aside, the raw talent and physique and character are promising as hell. I bet he could've made an all-conference team or two anyhow had he gone to college and were leaving early as a junior.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He has huge bust potential, but also oozes upside potential.  I think he is a sure fire first rounder based on that upside.  A year ago today he was considered a top 4 pick of this draft with Simmons, Labissiere, and Brown.  Considering that "rotation players" can easily be signed in free agency on a yearly basis, I don't see the upside in drafting a rotation player in the mid-late first round.  I think you go upside and could see him going as soon as the teens.  All it takes is one [dillusional] GM to be really intrigued by him.  I have a hard time talking myself into taking Chieck Diallo over him.

Teams that could pull the trigger:
Chicago at 14 maybe
Boston at 16
Memphis at 17
Atlanta at 21
Boston at 23
Toronto at 27 (easily)
Phoenix at 28

Yeah he doesn't fall past Phoenix at 28.  No pressure for him to step up and play big minutes while Tyson Chandler is still there starting and Thon can learn under him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He is worth a first round pick.