Author Topic: Which teams seriously covet Dunn?  (Read 1364 times)

Which teams seriously covet Dunn?
« on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So it seems to be (emphasis on seems) down to Dunn, Bender and Brown with Dunn the bait for a trade. But which teams covet Dunn enough to trade up or into the draft?

1) Firstly we have Philly. Debate all you want about Okafor and Noel but it seems to be legit that the 3 could be used in a trade for one of them. Our leverage here is only apparent if we are willing to take and keep Dunn

2) Wolves. Dunn is a Thibodeau player. Suggested many times has been 3 for 5 and Dieng. Are the wolves wanting him that much? Murray will likely be on the board so why not select him?

3) New Orleans. With Gordon probably gone and Holiday and Evans expiring they'll likely take a guard. 3 for 6 and Evans? Would we want that to replace Turner? And would NO be happy just taking Hield?

4) Sacramento. A blockbuster with Cousins is a long shot but could happen. Alternatively we have talked about 3 for 8 + WCS. At this point I have one of Chriss and Brown available. So if the target without a trade is Brown then this trade down looks pretty plausible. I think Sac values Dunn over anyone they can pick here.

In that Sac scenario and in others to a lesser extent who they pick could affect our trade proposals. If they pick Chriss then Bender is available in a trade down to 5 or 6. If they choose Bender then it is likely we target Brown.

I would expect one of the trade downs to occur on draft night if our trades falter. I guess I'm talking myself into drafting Dunn for the leverage rather than the want to keep him!

Re: Which teams seriously covet Dunn?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 04:48:10 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Personally, my preferred outcome would be to draft Dunn and keep him - I like the kid a LOT. 

But if we did trade, here are my thoughts...

1) Firstly we have Philly. Debate all you want about Okafor and Noel but it seems to be legit that the 3 could be used in a trade for one of them. Our leverage here is only apparent if we are willing to take and keep Dunn

I would probably rather keep Dunn to be honest, but as you say it's certainly a possible outcome.

Trading Dunn for Noel is a move I could certainly live with.  With the modern NBA's push towards shooting / finesse guys, athletic defensive/rebounding bigs are actually becoming more of a rarity...but I honestly believe that they are still very important no matter what direction the league takes. 

I think Dunn has a much higher ceiling then either Okafor or Noel personally, but Noel is a known quantity who SHOULD develop into a double-double guy and could make numerous all defensive teams by the time his career is up.

Offensive minded stretch fours are so common now days that it wouldn't be hard at all to find a good frontcourt match for Okafor - Ryan Anderson, Kevin Love, Thadeus Young, Al Hoford - hell even our current Sullinger/Jerebko/Olynyk would fit perfectly alongside him.

2) Wolves. Dunn is a Thibodeau player. Suggested many times has been 3 for 5 and Dieng. Are the wolves wanting him that much? Murray will likely be on the board so why not select him?

A fair possibliity - I don't think you need to worry too much about them taking Murray over Dunn though.  Thibs is all about defense, and Dunn is probably the best perimeter defender in this draft.

Murray on the other hand is probably the worst defensive player in the top 6.  If Minnesota wanted a Murray-like guy they could have just held on to Kevin Martin, since he's basically just a bigger and better version of Murray.

I'd be ok with #3 for #5 + Dieng, but I'd prefer to keep Dunn if given the choice.

3) New Orleans. With Gordon probably gone and Holiday and Evans expiring they'll likely take a guard. 3 for 6 and Evans? Would we want that to replace Turner? And would NO be happy just taking Hield?

I'd definitely be willing to listen to #3 for #6 + Evans - I've like Evans for a long time, and he'd be an upgrade over Turner.  At #6 we would still have one of Bender/Brown/Hield left so if they made this often I'd give it some very serious thought.

4) Sacramento. A blockbuster with Cousins is a long shot but could happen. Alternatively we have talked about 3 for 8 + WCS. At this point I have one of Chriss and Brown available. So if the target without a trade is Brown then this trade down looks pretty plausible. I think Sac values Dunn over anyone they can pick here.

Don't think I'd do that WCS deal to be honest. 

The Noel deal seems to be on the table, and I think I'd prefer Noel over WCS because he seems to be a better rebounder and a better defensive player. 

Also there isn't really anybody I love once you get out of the top 6 or 7 - Poeltlt is nice but would be redundant with WCS thee.  You could try Ellenson maybe, but I'm not sure how good he's going to be in all honesty.

Again I could live with it, but I'd much rather keep Dunn and just try to trade up for Sabonis with #16.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:58:47 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:11:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Personally, my preferred outcome would be to draft Dunn and keep him - I like the kid a LOT. 

But if we did trade, here are my thoughts...

I would probably rather keep Dunn to be honest, but as you say it's certainly a possible outcome.

Trading Dunn for Noel is a move I could certainly live with.  With the modern NBA's push towards shooting / finesse guys, athletic defensive/rebounding bigs are actually becoming more of a rarity...but I honestly believe that they are still very important no matter what direction the league takes. 

I think Dunn has a much higher ceiling then either Okafor or Noel personally, but Noel is a known quantity who SHOULD develop into a double-double guy and could make numerous all defensive teams by the time his career is up.

Offensive minded stretch fours are so common now days that it wouldn't be hard at all to find a good frontcourt match for Okafor - Ryan Anderson, Kevin Love, Thadeus Young, Al Hoford - hell even our current Sullinger/Jerebko/Olynyk would fit perfectly alongside him.

A fair possibliity - I don't think you need to worry too much about them taking Murray over Dunn though.  Thibs is all about defense, and Dunn is probably the best perimeter defender in this draft.

Murray on the other hand is probably the worst defensive player in the top 6.  If Minnesota wanted a Murray-like guy they could have just held on to Kevin Martin, since he's basically just a bigger and better version of Murray.

I'd be ok with #3 for #5 + Dieng, but I'd prefer to keep Dunn if given the choice.

I'd definitely be willing to listen to #3 for #6 + Evans - I've like Evans for a long time, and he'd be an upgrade over Turner.  At #6 we would still have one of Bender/Brown/Hield left so if they made this often I'd give it some very serious thought.

Don't think I'd do that WCS deal to be honest. 

The Noel deal seems to be on the table, and I think I'd prefer Noel over WCS because he seems to be a better rebounder and a better defensive player. 

Also there isn't really anybody I love once you get out of the top 6 or 7 - Poeltlt is nice but would be redundant with WCS thee.  You could try Ellenson maybe, but I'm not sure how good he's going to be in all honesty.

Again I could live with it, but I'd much rather keep Dunn and just try to trade up for Sabonis with #16.
Crimson.  Do you like DUnn more than Smart?  How would you feel about keeping Dunn and trading a package built around Smart + #16 + #23 for Noel?

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
#8 still gets you one of Dunn, Bender, Murray, Hield, Brown, Chriss - likely Brown or Chriss. If Danny doesn't feel strongly about any of these guys and can bring in a Noel-clone (almost) in WCS, then he should do it.

And this is coming from somebody who is a huge Dunn fan.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:01 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I love Smart, but I'm fully on board with the keep Dunn and trade Smart for Noel/Okafor plan.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:54:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP Sundance, very well thought out post, very realistic ideas that create value for us at 3 with Dunn.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Yes I did ignore that bit I guess! We could keep him, I don't think you have to ship off guards either. Letting Turner go frees up the minutes. Perhaps Rozier gets moves but the core can remain. Then in 2017 you really need to decide on your direction. Smart and Dunn could play together even if it isn't ideal.

As you know I'm a Bender fan so the Wolves deal would appeal to me. You raise a good point about Murray's defence that I forgot about. That perhaps sways them into consideration.

With Sacramento you get 2 assets instead of just Noel. Ultimately Noel is the more impactful of the options  so I can appreciate the love for him, I'm still torn because of his impending pay raise.

Glad you agree on Evans, of the deals I think that's the best one. It makes sense for NO and us which is a good sign. They need to become more flexible and we likely end up with our target anyway.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think they will take Murray and continue to build their fanbase in KY.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I think they will take Murray and continue to build their fanbase in KY.

That would be a good move for them, I guess it depends who Minnesota take at 5. Lets say the draft goes:
1.Simmons
2.Ingram
3.Dunn
4.Bender
At 5 is there anyone more appealing to the Wolves than Murray?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I look for the celts to keep dunn and trade rozier. IT. Ab. Smart

In this order