Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 347842 times)

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)
« Reply #2385 on: May 29, 2017, 02:37:43 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Really need to start up the old Nets watch again.

Some FAs might be tempted to go there and start something. Paul Milsap, Kelly Olynyk, Otto Porter
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2386 on: June 05, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Some FAs might be tempted to go there and start something. Paul Milsap, Kelly Olynyk, Otto Porter

Not worried about Milsap, who will have plenty of options, or Porter, who will get matched by Washington. KO? Not sure. I figure he'll have some options, too, and I wonder what kind of premium BKN would have to offer him to join a team where he'll be the BSD after Lopez is gone, i.e., no chance of winning. If his market value is $15m, will BKN have to offer him 20? 22?

Mike

« Reply #2387 on: June 05, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Not worried about Milsap, who will have plenty of options, or Porter, who will get matched by Washington. KO? Not sure. I figure he'll have some options, too, and I wonder what kind of premium BKN would have to offer him to join a team where he'll be the BSD after Lopez is gone, i.e., no chance of winning. If his market value is $15m, will BKN have to offer him 20? 22?

Mike
I'm kind of worried about KCP. The Pistons might not be willing to match a max offer for him.

« Reply #2388 on: June 05, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike
I'm kind of worried about KCP. The Pistons might not be willing to match a max offer for him.

I'm gonna start a free agent thread. TP to tricky for bringing it back.

Mike

« Reply #2389 on: June 05, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

« Reply #2390 on: June 05, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

Mike
KO or KCP will not help the Nets win many more games.  Nothing to worry in regards to these two.

« Reply #2391 on: June 05, 2017, 03:07:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I predict that instead of going to the Nets, Portland will do some cap clearing trades and then sign Olynyk to a $100 million contract the next day.

« Reply #2392 on: June 05, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Mike
KO or KCP will not help the Nets win many more games.  Nothing to worry in regards to these two.

TP to you, sir.

Why are people so worried about role players suddenly making the Nets a juggernaut? Both guys have skills but neither appears to move the dial much. KO is really a bench player and KCP at this stage isn't much more than a good defensive player with a mediocre offensive game. Neither move the dial all that much.

Furthermore, if the Nets are going to clutter up their roster with guys making $25m a year who would be bench players for the Celtics, all they're doing is cutting their own throats long term. You can't pay role players that kind of money and field a good team. The Nets know this. Maybe they try to make a run at both because Lopez, KO and KCP would make a team at least somewhat competitive (if still a loser). But then they lose Lopez to FA next year which is one of their few remaining assets. Long term it's counterproductive and the short term gain isn't worth it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2393 on: June 05, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

How do you think a 32 year-old all-star or two young, promising players coming from winning teams will go to the worst franchise in the league?

Money is an issue, but not all. They'll get well paid in many other places.

« Reply #2394 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Mike

TP to you, sir.

Why are people so worried about role players suddenly making the Nets a juggernaut? Both guys have skills but neither appears to move the dial much. KO is really a bench player and KCP at this stage isn't much more than a good defensive player with a mediocre offensive game. Neither move the dial all that much.

Furthermore, if the Nets are going to clutter up their roster with guys making $25m a year who would be bench players for the Celtics, all they're doing is cutting their own throats long term. You can't pay role players that kind of money and field a good team. The Nets know this. Maybe they try to make a run at both because Lopez, KO and KCP would make a team at least somewhat competitive (if still a loser). But then they lose Lopez to FA next year which is one of their few remaining assets. Long term it's counterproductive and the short term gain isn't worth it.

They're not.  Some people are worried about a couple of good role players pulling them from the worst team in the NBA to just bottom 5-10 or so, though.  This is a team that already has a star in Brook Lopez and a secondary guy in Jeremy Lin.  Adding a 6th man that fits their system perfectly (Kelly) or a starting shooting guard with a similarly good fit (KCP) could be enough to put them over teams like the Suns, Lakers, and Kings, which would bring down our chances at the #1 (or just a top 3) pick significantly.

Nobody is saying that adding a couple of decent players is gonna make them contenders overnight, but you're crazy if you don't think adding those guys would make them better.  This was a team that was 26th in the league in 3 point percentage, and who's 2nd leading scorer for the season was Sean Kilpatrick.  Adding KCP and Kelly would be bad news for the 2018 Nets pick (but that said, I think it's very unlikely they manage to sign either guy, and signing both isn't even worth considering, both because there's no way they could convince both and because there's no way Marks would tie up $30-$40 million for the next 4 years for those two)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2395 on: June 26, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
I fall into the minority of those who think that the Nets may actually benefit this year from the Lopez trade, but we do seem to be small.

As far as I can tell, SAC, despite what is viewed as a good draft, remains the biggest competition for BKN's last place spot. I'm a bit nervous, though, that if Indy goes full rebuild, they could challenge. I also see Orlando as a challenger.

Mike

« Reply #2396 on: June 26, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I fall into the minority of those who think that the Nets may actually benefit this year from the Lopez trade, but we do seem to be small.

As far as I can tell, SAC, despite what is viewed as a good draft, remains the biggest competition for BKN's last place spot. I'm a bit nervous, though, that if Indy goes full rebuild, they could challenge. I also see Orlando as a challenger.

Mike
The larger threat to the Nets is not them improving (barring FA additions they will be worse), but other teams sucking more.

Sacremento, Orlando, Chicago and Indiana could all really suck next year. Not too mention the glass house that is the 76ers and the still way to young to win jack Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. Suns.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2397 on: June 26, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Mike
The larger threat to the Nets is not them improving (barring FA additions they will be worse), but other teams sucking more.

Sacremento, Orlando, Chicago and Indiana could all really suck next year. Not too mention the glass house that is the 76ers and the still way to young to win jack **** Suns.
I still feel as though all the teams you listed have way more talent than the Nets, so I'm quite confident they'll be right at that 18-25 wins type of bad again.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2398 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
If JJ Reddick went to BKN, how much of a threat would that be? I don't know him well.

Mike

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nets-sixers-try-land-221431904.html

« Reply #2399 on: June 29, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
CAN WE START THE NEW THREAD ALREADY...

Nets pick up options on Kilpatrick and Joe Harris (1.5/1 year each), per Wojonator.

Two quality guys.

D-League quality.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.