Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346215 times)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Just sit back and enjoy the show folks. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm not gonna stress about it. Whatever happena, happens.

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987

it's absolutely amazing the Nets have 16 , wins and the next closest team has 27 wins. Things just couldn't have worked out any more perfect for Danny Ainge we've been taking the season for granted a little bit this is just amazing.

The next closest team has 21 wins and they're the Lakers. Followed by the Phoenix Suns with 22 wins.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Just sit back and enjoy the show folks. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm not gonna stress about it. Whatever happena, happens.

I agree... It's like a real cool Roller-Coaster, it's fun to get a little scare once in awhile
and enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:06:39 PM by Green-Bananas »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's nice we can at least talk about how close this is going to be, without being called insults.
If I remember right I was called every name in the book, for saying this could get ugly?

Still hoping I was wrong of course, but I see some of you who were giving me a hard time, are
now the ones who are worrying. That's why its not over til its over. Lets hope we get some
help from the Leprechaun..

It's definitely not 'nice' that we can talk about how close this is going to be. Every name in the book also seems to be a bit hyperbolic, but people did think it was a ridiculous premise...and it still might be. None of these Nets wins lately are enormous surprises, especially today with so may Atl players out.

Yea, Every name in the book is a bit over the top... But two weeks ago, I just wanted to discuss
the possibility. At the time I really didn't think the Nets would be playing this good.

It's like they're playing hard to recruit FA's for this summer? Hope they have a hiccup soon.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's nice we can at least talk about how close this is going to be, without being called insults.
If I remember right I was called every name in the book, for saying this could get ugly?

Still hoping I was wrong of course, but I see some of you who were giving me a hard time, are
now the ones who are worrying. That's why its not over til its over. Lets hope we get some
help from the Leprechaun..

It's definitely not 'nice' that we can talk about how close this is going to be. Every name in the book also seems to be a bit hyperbolic, but people did think it was a ridiculous premise...and it still might be. None of these Nets wins lately are enormous surprises, especially today with so may Atl players out.

Yea, Every name in the book is a bit over the top... But two weeks ago, I just wanted to discuss
the possibility. At the time I really didn't think the Nets would be playing this good.

It's like they're playing hard to recruit FA's for this summer? Hope they have a hiccup soon.
The players are playing for pride and to possibly get another contract

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
Would be nice if LAL could squeak out just one more win this season. Not betting on it but that would mean BKN have to finish the season 6-3. Doubt that happens despite their recent "hot stretch"  :laugh:

Lakers will win at least one more.

One nice thing is that they have a young team, who are playing for their futures. Players and coaches don't tank. Only GMs do.

Mike

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Would be nice if LAL could squeak out just one more win this season. Not betting on it but that would mean BKN have to finish the season 6-3. Doubt that happens despite their recent "hot stretch"  :laugh:

Lakers will win at least one more.

One nice thing is that they have a young team, who are playing for their futures. Players and coaches don't tank. Only GMs do.

Mike

Coaches with job security tank.  Players don't.   

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Hey, it's not over 'til it's over. Lakers are still in this one for the worst team.

Statistics bear it out. If we use the basketball-reference link from upthread, the chances that the Nets aren't the worst team is up six-fold in the past six weeks. Yup, they are six times as likely to be second-worst as they were in mid-February.

Chances of Nets not being the worst team on Feb 11: 0.1%
Chances of nets not being the worst team on Mar 28: 0.6%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/proj_draft.html

Another six-fold increase and they'll be up to 3.6%!

Mike

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hey, it's not over 'til it's over. Lakers are still in this one for the worst team.

Statistics bear it out. If we use the basketball-reference link from upthread, the chances that the Nets aren't the worst team is up six-fold in the past six weeks. Yup, they are six times as likely to be second-worst as they were in mid-February.

Mike

To add more context to that 0.6%, they say that we have a 2.7% chance to win the finals.  So, they think we are 4.5x as likely to win the finals as the Nets to not have the worst record.
I'm bitter.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
What happens if there's a tie for the worst record? Coin flip? Head-to-head record (they're 1-1)? What if Nets, Lakers and Suns finish with 22 wins?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What happens if there's a tie for the worst record? Coin flip? Head-to-head record (they're 1-1)? What if Nets, Lakers and Suns finish with 22 wins?

They split the odds between 1-2 (or 1-3) equally.  If there are an odd number of combinations, a coin flip decides who gets the extra one.  A coin flip also decides who picks higher in the event no one wins the lottery.

So even if the Nets somehow catch and tie the Lakers, there's still a 50% chance we finish no worse than fourth on lottery night (that's decided a couple days after the season, so we won't be in suspense for a month).

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

I believe they average out the combinations of the spots between the tied teams.  If that doesn't come out to an even number, then a coin flip is used for that extra combination number.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

To add more context to that 0.6%, they say that we have a 2.7% chance to win the finals.  So, they think we are 4.5x as likely to win the finals as the Nets to not have the worst record.

Ahh, I like math even more now.

Mike

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

it's absolutely amazing the Nets have 16 , wins and the next closest team has 27 wins. Things just couldn't have worked out any more perfect for Danny Ainge we've been taking the season for granted a little bit this is just amazing.

The next closest team has 21 wins and they're the Lakers. Followed by the Phoenix Suns with 22 wins.

Was talking about the Eastern conference.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Funny how two weeks ago nearly everyone was saying it was impossible for Lakers to catch Nets.