Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346705 times)

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't like the situation, if it wasn't for one or two really lucky shots, the Nets would already have granted the last position. Most teams the Nets will face do not really  care that much about winning anymore.

But I think there are two aspects that make me feel good that the Nets may not reach the Lakers:

They will play Chicago and Detroit, teams that are fighting for a playoff spot against the Heat. The Cs MUST beat the Heat tonight. But both Chicago and Detroit are not good bb teams.

The Lakers have a tough schedule BUT they have 2 games against the Wolves, a team that have a very hard schedule and still  can finish with the 4th worse record. If they consider it to be a 5-man-draft, maybe their staff won't be all that motivated to beat LA. They have lost their last 6 games. They will also play the Kings, a team that has lost 5 in a row and that has no reason to win.

My guess is that the Suns won't win any game until the rest of the season but the Lakers will.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

it's absolutely amazing the Nets have 16 , wins and the next closest team has 27 wins. Things just couldn't have worked out any more perfect for Danny Ainge we've been taking the season for granted a little bit this is just amazing.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It's reasonable to project Brooklyn winning 6 of their last 11 games, given their weak schedule and the level they are now playing. Check their schedule. So say the Lakers win 1 of their remaining games, who wins (loses)? I'm on my phone and can't check.

The Nets only have 9 games left, not 11.  I don't think 6-3 is reasonable.

One of those games is against us too. I think it's more like going 8 games and 6-2.

I think 6-3 is doable.

PHI x 2
DET
ORL x 2
ATL
CHI x 2
BOS

That's a tremendously weak schedule, outside of their game with us.

They finish no better than 4-5.

While it's a relatively easy schedule, none are better than 50-50 games for the Nets.

I disagree. This is realistic outcome for Brooklyn in their remains games:

PHI WIN
@DET LOSE
ORL WIN
ATL WIN
@PHI LOSE
@ORL WIN
CHI WIN
@ BOS LOSE
@ CHI LOSE

Chicago and Detroit are playing terribly and are in danger of falling out of playoff hunt so it wouldn't surprise me to see Nets win last game of season and also beat Detroit and finish with one or two more wins which would boost their win total to 6-7 games. I hope I'm wrong, but this is the only crappy team with no incentive to tank whose coach is coaching to keep his job. Plus they are finally healthy and frankly a lot better than their season record would indicate.

Put another way, if the Nets played Suns or Lakers in a best of 7 series right now, wouldn't most of us pick the Nets not only to win but to do so in 5 or 6 games?
on the bolded, please:

1. define
2. prove

thank you.

1. Define realistic: greater than 50% for each of my projections.
2. Prove: I can't prove a prediction of a future event. But I give Brooklyn better than 50:50 shot on each of their remains home games but less than 50/50 on each of their away games unless the opponent is playing so poorly and motivated to lose (ORL e.g.).

They just beat Atlanta today AT ATL so seems quite reasonable they will beat them in BKLN.

My fear is that they will win more than5 games because Detroit is playing so poorly and I suspect Chicago will be out of playoff hunt by last game of season.

I'd say that is reasonable. You?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:58:05 PM by footey »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
It's reasonable to project Brooklyn winning 6 of their last 11 games, given their weak schedule and the level they are now playing. Check their schedule. So say the Lakers win 1 of their remaining games, who wins (loses)? I'm on my phone and can't check.

One of those games is against us too. I think it's more like going 8 games and 6-2.

I think 6-3 is doable.

PHI x 2
DET
ORL x 2
ATL
CHI x 2
BOS

While it's a relatively easy schedule, none are better than 50-50 games for the Nets.

PHI WIN
@DET LOSE
ORL WIN
ATL WIN
@PHI LOSE
@ORL WIN
CHI WIN
@ BOS LOSE
@ CHI LOSE

Chicago and Detroit are playing terribly and are in danger of falling out of playoff hunt so it wouldn't surprise me to see Nets win last game of season and also beat Detroit and finish with one or two more wins which would boost their win total to 6-7 games. I hope I'm wrong, but this is the only crappy team with no incentive to tank whose coach is coaching to keep his job. Plus they are finally healthy and frankly a lot better than their season record would indicate.

Put another way, if the Nets played Suns or Lakers in a best of 7 series right now, wouldn't most of us pick the Nets not only to win but to do so in 5 or 6 games?
on the bolded, please:

1. define
2. prove

thank you.

2. Prove: I can prove a prediction of a future event. But I give Brooklyn better than 50:50 shot on each of their remains home games but less than 50/50 on each of their away games unless the opponent is playing so poorly and motivated to lose (ORL e.g.).

They just beat Atlanta today AT ATL so seems quite reasonable they will beat them in BKLN.

My fear is that they will win more than5 games because Detroit is playing so poorly and I suspect Chicago will be out of playoff hunt by last game of season.

They beat ATL today in ATL with 3 of Atlanta's starters not playing.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Would be nice if LAL could squeak out just one more win this season. Not betting on it but that would mean BKN have to finish the season 6-3. Doubt that happens despite their recent "hot stretch"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I think 6-3 is doable.

PHI x 2
DET
ORL x 2
ATL
CHI x 2
BOS

PHI WIN
@DET LOSE
ORL WIN
ATL WIN
@PHI LOSE
@ORL WIN
CHI WIN
@ BOS LOSE
@ CHI LOSE

on the bolded, please:

1. define
2. prove

thank you.

2. Prove: I can prove a prediction of a future event. But I give Brooklyn better than 50:50 shot on each of their remains home games but less than 50/50 on each of their away games unless the opponent is playing so poorly and motivated to lose (ORL e.g.).

They are resting for the playoffs. The Nets are playing all their guys for their pride and their contracts including the coaching staff.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Would be nice if LAL could squeak out just one more win this season. Not betting on it but that would mean BKN have to finish the season 6-3. Doubt that happens despite their recent "hot stretch"  :laugh:
The end of the season, crazy things always happen with some teams quitting, some teams resting guys. The Lakers are young and don't know any better than to just play it out. I'd bet on them winning one more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Everyone is extremely worried about Chicago.

They are manhandling the Bucks (who are 11-2 in March) at their place today.

We beat Miami and Chicago is 0.5 game out. We need to do our own part.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I agree with you about doing our part by beating Miami to keep Chicago in the hunt and play hard for the rest of their schedule. Since 2 of their last 3 games are vs. the Nets, it would be great that Chicago had something to play for.  TP.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Butler has 14 assists which means he now has 37 assists in his last 3 games.

What the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's nice we can at least talk about how close this is going to be, without being called insults.
If I remember right I was called every name in the book, for saying this could get ugly?

Still hoping I was wrong of course, but I see some of you who were giving me a hard time, are
now the ones who are worrying. That's why its not over til its over. Lets hope we get some
help from the Leprechaun.. 

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
It's nice we can at least talk about how close this is going to be, without being called insults.
If I remember right I was called every name in the book, for saying this could get ugly?

Still hoping I was wrong of course, but I see some of you who were giving me a hard time, are
now the ones who are worrying. That's why its not over til its over. Lets hope we get some

Never gave you a hard time, GB.  Those bananas are beginning to ripen though, LOL.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Who's insulting you? It's possible it's very unlikely that the Nets win a lot.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think 6-3 is doable.

PHI x 2
DET
ORL x 2
ATL
CHI x 2
BOS

PHI WIN
@DET LOSE
ORL WIN
ATL WIN
@PHI LOSE
@ORL WIN
CHI WIN
@ BOS LOSE
@ CHI LOSE

on the bolded, please:

1. define
2. prove

thank you.

They are resting for the playoffs. The Nets are playing all their guys for their pride and their contracts including the coaching staff.

They are not resting for the playoffs.  Their players have legit injuries.  Now, it may be that Millsap and Bazemore (who've both been out multiple games in a row) will not be available when they next play, but this is not "resting starters against a bad team."  Atlanta's lost 7 in a row, the last 5 without Millsap.  At their current pace, they're going to miss the playoffs altogether.  If their starters are healthy, they will play when they meet a week from today.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It's definitely not 'nice' that we can talk about how close this is going to be. Every name in the book also seems to be a bit hyperbolic, but people did think it was a ridiculous premise...and it still might be. None of these Nets wins lately are enormous surprises, especially today with so may Atl players out.