Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346222 times)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Would suck if the Lakers snatch away the #1 pick from us.

I would love it if the Lakers finished as the worst team and ended up with the fourth pick.

Fun fact, Wins in March:

Golden State: 7
Brooklyn: 6
Cleveland: 5

Mike
Think this through.  In that case, Philly gets 2 lottery picks right?  Add them to Simmons/Saric/Embiid and that is an incredible young core right in our own conference.  Much as I hate the Lakers, I think I would prefer if their pick is top-3 and they get to use it.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
I personally don't care if we end up with the second worst record. It is unlikely that the team with the worst record will land the #1 pick in the lottery again this year.

It's no more likely or unlikely than it is in any other year. I'm still hoping for the Nets to have the worst record.

Mike

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still not worried.  nets have to go 5-6 in their last 11 games just to catch the Lakers and that's if the Lakers close out the season with a 17-game losing streak.  just don't see that happening.  Lakers still have several very winnable games left on their schedule.  Nets have a lot of teams fighting for either playoff spots or respectability on their schedule.  most likely winnable games they have left are 2 each against Philly (who are actually playing to win this year) and Orlando.  all others are teams are either fighting for playoffs or jockeying for better seeds in the playoffs.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Going to the Wiz Nets tonight, lets get it boys and girls.
#JKJB

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the Nets beat the Wiz tonight I'll start deciding who I would want us to draft at 5 in a worst case scenario (probably Monk or Markannen)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
still not worried.  nets have to go 5-6 in their last 11 games just to catch the Lakers and that's if the Lakers close out the season with a 17-game losing streak.  just don't see that happening.  Lakers still have several very winnable games left on their schedule.  Nets have a lot of teams fighting for either playoff spots or respectability on their schedule.  most likely winnable games they have left are 2 each against Philly (who are actually playing to win this year) and Orlando.  all others are teams are either fighting for playoffs or jockeying for better seeds in the playoffs.

That 0-17 I is why ....old lady Buss fired Mitch and Jim Buss to DO exactly that .....the former would not have tanked to the point of total embarrassment.  The woman thinks it's her destiny to fill her daddy shoes .  ::)   On the other hand creepy Magic Johnson has been bad mouth n Mitch and Jim FOR YEArS .....he wanted to totally tank out ...like Philly.     First thing they did was tell their vets to go home.,  forget winning totally this year .  ......what hunk of dog doo.

Lakers have ZERO intention of winning any game ...period .   They would drop a game to the Celtics cheerleaders ....  the Lakers team is just shooting practice for their 20 year olds.   .....till they can get Ball and Paul George.   

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

That 0-17 I is why ....old lady Buss fired Mitch and Jim Buss to DO exactly that .....the former would not have tanked to the point of total embarrassment.  The woman thinks it's her destiny to fill her daddy shoes .  ::)   On the other hand creepy Magic Johnson has been bad mouth n Mitch and Jim FOR YEArS .....he wanted to totally tank out ...like Philly.     First thing they did was tell their vets to go home.,  forget winning totally this year .  ......what hunk of dog doo.

Lakers have ZERO intention of winning any game ...period .   They would drop a game to the Celtics cheerleaders ....  the Lakers team is just shooting practice for their 20 year olds.   .....till they can get Ball and Paul George.   
I don't think they fired Mitch because she wanted to tank. It seems like they fired Mitch because he wasn't able to trade for Cousins.

Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne talked about it on his most recent podcast.

I think Jeanie did the right thing, the Lakers haven't improved in a while, haven't been able to sign good quality free agents and blew all their money on Mozgov and Deng.

Agreed that they are not trying to win, if there pick lands outside the top 3 they lose it to the Sixers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Securing the worst record in the league is important because the top 4 of this draft is stacked.

Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, I really don't think you can go wrong.

I'm not too worried.  The Nets were bad enough to get to this point, they won't win enough games to pull ahead of the Lakers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I think Jeanie did the right thing, the Lakers haven't improved in a while, haven't been able to sign good quality free agents and blew all their money on Mozgov and Deng.

I think this is something interesting to think about, how bad of a job he did with the Lakers the last few years.  Or at least how much of the aura and magic of the Lakers is gone, or what the expectation is for the Lakers.

Since they moved to LA, they missed the playoffs 4 times total, and never had more than 2 losing seasons in a row in 50+ something years before this current stretch.

Now they're looking at 4 straight losing season where they miss the playoffs.  And we're not just talking about about 4 losing seasons, but the 4 worst seasons in LA Laker history.

Even with Kobe's ridiculous contract extension, did anybody predict 4 straight years of this crap?

At least 3 GMs didn't, as LA traded that protected 2015 first away for Nash in 2012.  You just know they thought that pick never had a chance of landing in the lottery, might as well have been a 2nd rounder.  They're the mighty Lakers.  (Ya know similar to how Brooklyn thought  ;)).

Then in 2015, Phoenix traded it away for Brandon Knight, and Milwaukee apparently would rather have Michael Carter Williams than that pick.  And who knew if Hinkie even thought the pick would be this good, or was he just happy to get any first rounder to tank a few more games (and because MCW isn't that good).  So even in 2015 when the Lakers sucked, it seems like both Phoenix and Milwaukee both thought, "ya they suck this year, but that pick won't be valuable next year when they turn things around."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Lakers are not going to close out the season with a 17-game losing streak.  they'll still win 1-2 games.  enough to keep the Nets as worst record

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987

I need the Wizards to win tonight. Got to think long-term over a simple playoff position preference.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I need the Wizards to win tonight. Got to think long-term over a simple playoff position preference.

Of course. Im going to be rooting hard for the Wiz. A win keeps them on pace with us, a loss could possibly mess with us for years to come.
#JKJB

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
These garbage Nets scrubs had better not suck horribly all year only to get hot in the last 20 games and ruin everything for the rest of us. That would be a typical Celtics draft lottery massacre and I demand restitution for devastating past history, not for it to repeat itself. Brief rant over, Smokeablount out.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I personally don't care if we end up with the second worst record. It is unlikely that the team with the worst record will land the #1 pick in the lottery again this year.
The odds are the same every year.  25% chance for the worst record. 

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

Lakers are not going to close out the season with a 17-game losing streak.  they'll still win 1-2 games.  enough to keep the Nets as worst record

I disagree---the Lakers are doing everything to LOSE every game...If they do happen to win a game, someone's in big trouble with Magic and Jeanie.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.