Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348154 times)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Nets have won 14 out of 71 games.

Do people really believe they will win 6 out of the remaining 11 games?

All these teams like chicago, Philly, Suns, Orlando will be busting rheir asses to get a cherished win vs the Nets and will be licking their chops to get some stats before the end of the season.

They are 4-6 their last ten games, so yes, I think they can win 6 out of their remaining 11 games.  Their more recent record is a better projector of how they will finish than their season record to date.

Their more recent record projects them winning 4.4 of their final 11 games. That's still a far cry from 6-5
And even if that happened, the Lakers would still have to finish 0-17 (they've got 11 left) for that to matter. Which might happen, the Lakers are tanking about as hard as anyone has ever tanked right now.

I still think the Lakers back into a win before the season is done.  The inconsistent Timberwolves come to town on Friday, for example.

Agreed.  Magic doesn't want the Lakers to win games, but those guys are still gonna be out there busting their balls.  They should sneak in a win or two before the season ends (especially since they host the Timberwolves twice, Sacramento once, and Portland once, plus will play in Minnesota)
I'm bitter.

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Any chance the Nets shut down Lopez-?

they did late last season.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

All these teams like chicago, Philly, Suns, Orlando will be busting rheir asses to get a cherished win vs the Nets and will be licking their chops to get some stats before the end of the season.

They are 4-6 their last ten games, so yes, I think they can win 6 out of their remaining 11 games.  Their more recent record is a better projector of how they will finish than their season record to date.

Their more recent record projects them winning 4.4 of their final 11 games. That's still a far cry from 6-5
And even if that happened, the Lakers would still have to finish 0-17 (they've got 11 left) for that to matter. Which might happen, the Lakers are tanking about as hard as anyone has ever tanked right now.

I still think the Lakers back into a win before the season is done.  The inconsistent Timberwolves come to town on Friday, for example.

Agreed.  Magic doesn't want the Lakers to win games, but those guys are still gonna be out there busting their balls.  They should sneak in a win or two before the season ends (especially since they host the Timberwolves twice, Sacramento once, and Portland once, plus will play in Minnesota)

The Clips hung up over 100 points the first three quarters last night vs. Lakers.  That's ball busting?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

If memory serves correct they shut down him and a healthy Thad Young with 7 games left int he season. That is in 4 more games?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

The Clips hung up over 100 points the first three quarters last night vs. Lakers.  That's ball busting?

Yea they are definitely not playing well/trying right now (though their game with cleveland was very competitive).

However, a team like Sacramento is tanking every bit as hard as the Lakers and someone has to win that game.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
A few days ago I wasn't worried. Now I am. After the Nets beat Detroit everything changes. They play them again plus there are many other winnable games. They play Detroit again, Chicago twice, Orlando twice, Phoenix and get this Philly twice. Philly could lose just to screw with us. I am worried because there is NO CHANCE of the Lakers winning another game even by accident based on who they play. Not a chance in hell.

A bit of an overstatement. Let's look at the math: Assume that the Lakers have only a 20% chance of winning each individual game (i.e., 20% chance of beating Minnesota, 20% chance of beating Memphis, 20% chance of beating the Clippers, etc.). There's only an 8.5% chance that they will lose every one of them. Even if the Lakers had only a 10% chance of winning each game, the chance that they would lose every one of them is only 31% chance. That's a long way from "not a chance in hell."

Only a small nitpick, but they actually have 12 games remaining. Yes, I do think that there's a chance that they get hot and win half of them, but not much of one.

It's possible but it's incredibly unlikely. Wait until they get within 3 wins before getting nervous about it. And remember of course this is essentially for Ping-Pong balls and guarantees very little.

"ping pong balls" the NBA needs to draw the balls live instead of having the folders pre-sealed with draft order.

Why? So you can see them compare the combinations to a big list to see who's combo it is? And then, when a combo gets picked for a team that has already moved up in the lotto you can see them draw again? It'd not like the lotto drawing is done completely in secret; each team has a representative there to make sure it's happening fairly. Drawing them live wouldn't make it any more exciting or any harder to rig

Actually, I think that would be kind of cool. In a corner of the screen, they could show the changing odds for a team to get #1 as the picks are drawn, like ESPN does with poker. Of course, they'd never do it because people would change the channels as soon as the balls were drawn. Fewer commercials.

One would hope so, but maybe their egos will get the better of them if they figure that they have a chance not to finish in last.

Mike

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Trying hard doesn't mean much when there's a large talent disparity, something that is also true with the Nets.
I'm bitter.

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
A few days ago I wasn't worried. Now I am. After the Nets beat Detroit everything changes. They play them again plus there are many other winnable games. They play Detroit again, Chicago twice, Orlando twice, Phoenix and get this Philly twice. Philly could lose just to screw with us. I am worried because there is NO CHANCE of the Lakers winning another game even by accident based on who they play. Not a chance in hell.

A bit of an overstatement. Let's look at the math: Assume that the Lakers have only a 20% chance of winning each individual game (i.e., 20% chance of beating Minnesota, 20% chance of beating Memphis, 20% chance of beating the Clippers, etc.). There's only an 8.5% chance that they will lose every one of them. Even if the Lakers had only a 10% chance of winning each game, the chance that they would lose every one of them is only 31% chance. That's a long way from "not a chance in hell."

Only a small nitpick, but they actually have 12 games remaining. Yes, I do think that there's a chance that they get hot and win half of them, but not much of one.

It's possible but it's incredibly unlikely. Wait until they get within 3 wins before getting nervous about it. And remember of course this is essentially for Ping-Pong balls and guarantees very little.

"ping pong balls" the NBA needs to draw the balls live instead of having the folders pre-sealed with draft order.

Why? So you can see them compare the combinations to a big list to see who's combo it is? And then, when a combo gets picked for a team that has already moved up in the lotto you can see them draw again? It'd not like the lotto drawing is done completely in secret; each team has a representative there to make sure it's happening fairly. Drawing them live wouldn't make it any more exciting or any harder to rig

Actually, I think that would be kind of cool. In a corner of the screen, they could show the changing odds for a team to get #1 as the picks are drawn, like ESPN does with poker. Of course, they'd never do it because people would change the channels as soon as the balls were drawn. Fewer commercials.

One would hope so, but maybe their egos will get the better of them if they figure that they have a chance not to finish in last.

Mike
where did you come up with this number of 20%? i dont see how the odds for winning any of these games would be that number or equal for each opponent.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Trying hard doesn't mean much when there's a large talent disparity, something that is also true with the Nets.
Yeah, and they've got young guys with talent that, if they get hot at the right time, could sneak past someone on an off night. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if this was LA's total for the season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike
where did you come up with this number of 20%? i dont see how the odds for winning any of these games would be that number or equal for each opponent.

I pulled it out of my cute little tuchus. Some will be higher, some will be lower. It was just an example. It was a quick glance at their schedule which said, "Hmm, they have about a 30% chance of winning this one, 15% of winning that one, etc." It has absolutely no scientific merit whatsoever, but rather, was a rebuttal to the previous comment that they have no chance of winning any games for the rest of the season. Mathematically, they will likely win one by accident.

Fun fact: If you gave the Lakers just a 6% chance of winning each game individually (an absurdly low number), the chance that they win a game between now and the end of the season is 50%.

Mike

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
There is ZERO PERCENT chance that the Lakers who are trying to lose can actually win any of the following games by accident. Absolute ZERO

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Golden State

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
There is ZERO PERCENT chance that the Lakers who are trying to lose can actually win any of the following games by accident. Absolute ZERO

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Golden State

I would happily engage in a friendly wager of 5 TPs that the Lakers win at least one of those games. The loser is responsible for coming back on each of five days to reward the winner.

Mike

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Golden State

Right, because the Kings are clearly focused on winning right now as opposed to making sure they don't have to give up their draft pick to Chicago, and Minnesota is an amazing team that is 100% guaranteed to beat the Lakers 3 times in the span of two weeks despite being effectively eliminated from playoff competition themselves.  And the Lakers players didn't just lead most of the game vs. Cleveland.

The Lakers players could care less about the draft pick who might come take their job.  They're out there trying to play to stay on an NBA roster next year, prove they're a starter, or play for a contract extension.  They're going to try to win, and odds are the shots will fall for them on a night when they're not falling for their opponent, if nothing else.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Golden State

I would happily engage in a friendly wager of 5 TPs that the Lakers win at least one of those games. The loser is responsible for coming back on each of five days to reward the winner.

Mike

You are on! It's a win-win for me. If they win a game or more I win. If they lose them all like I expect I win tommy points!

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Golden State

Right, because the Kings are clearly focused on winning right now as opposed to making sure they don't have to give up their draft pick to Chicago, and Minnesota is an amazing team that is 100% guaranteed to beat the Lakers 3 times in the span of two weeks despite being effectively eliminated from playoff competition themselves.  And the Lakers players didn't just lead most of the game vs. Cleveland.

The Lakers players could care less about the draft pick who might come take their job.  They're out there trying to play to stay on an NBA roster next year, prove they're a starter, or play for a contract extension.  They're going to try to win, and odds are the shots will fall for them on a night when they're not falling for their opponent, if nothing else.

It's gonna happen. Are you saying the Lakers could or couldn't care less? Watch the Sacramento game which is probably the closest chance they have to stealing a game - they will REST D'Angelo Russell. If you want in on the tommy point bet I will honor it for you as well.