Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346749 times)

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (8-32, #1 on 1/15)
« Reply #1245 on: January 16, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Philly up 13 on the Bucks with less than four minutes to go...

Miami are the only real threat for best odds I think.
Wow, they won again.  They are now 6-1 in Embiid's last 7 games.

Imagine when simmons gets back, and they may be crazy. Embiid is goijg to make the 76ers a force going forward.
#JKJB

« Reply #1246 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Imagine when simmons gets back, and they may be crazy. Embiid is goijg to make the 76ers a force going forward.
It sounds nuts, but they could actually make the playoffs if they keep this up.  They have an identical 13-26 record to Boston two seasons ago when they abruptly stopped tanking and rallied their way to a 40-42 record and playoffs seed.  Unlike Boston though, they wouldn't rally at the expense of a quality draft pick.  Boston ended up getting the 16th pick, because of that playoff run... but because Philly has swap rights with the Kings, they could theoretically make the playoffs and still end up with a top 10 pick. 

Here's hoping Brooklyn doesn't go on an improbable run.  There's still a lot of games left in this season.

« Reply #1247 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

It sounds nuts, but they could actually make the playoffs if they keep this up.  They have an identical 13-26 record to Boston two seasons ago when they abruptly stopped tanking and rallied their way to a 40-42 record and playoffs seed.  Unlike Boston though, they wouldn't rally at the expense of a quality draft pick.  Boston ended up getting the 16th pick, because of that playoff run... but because Philly has swap rights with the Kings, they could theoretically make the playoffs and still end up with a top 10 pick. 

Here's hoping Brooklyn doesn't go on an improbable run.  There's still a lot of games left in this season.
While I agree with most of what you said, I doubt they will have the right conditions to make the playoffs. I think that their lack of depth outside of the center position combined with the rookie factor would keep them out if it even if they got good quickly.

But the sooner they get good the sooner the East continues to rise.

Also lets not pretend like the Nets have a transcendant center and  potential multi time all star rookie coming to the rescue. They have a Jeremy Lin coming.
#JKJB

« Reply #1248 on: January 16, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

While I agree with most of what you said, I doubt they will have the right conditions to make the playoffs. I think that their lack of depth outside of the center position combined with the rookie factor would keep them out if it even if they got good quickly.

But the sooner they get good the sooner the East continues to rise.

Also lets not pretend like the Nets have a transcendant center and  potential multi time all star rookie coming to the rescue. They have a Jeremy Lin coming.
Philly's schedule gets tougher and I think it's pretty unlikely they'd rally with Embiid sitting out back-to-backs.  But it's clear when the kid is on the court, he's progressively getting more and more dominant.  Amongst starting centers, he leads the league in Opponent FG% at the rim.  He's a game changer on that end.  Offensively, he's an automatic 20ppg despite averaging less than 30mpg.   Seems like they should win enough to keep distance above Brooklyn, but I agree it's going to be extremely difficult for them to really flirt with the playoffs this season.   

« Reply #1249 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If they let Simmons play  soon they could make the playoffs

« Reply #1250 on: January 16, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm getting concerned that I will soon be in "expecting Brooklyn to get the #1 pick even though I know it's a 25% chance" mode.

That's a bad mode to be in. As we all know.

« Reply #1251 on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

It does seem improbable, but stranger things have happened.

« Reply #1252 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Ever since I said "Phoenix Stinks" on here they haven't stunk...

« Reply #1253 on: January 16, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ever since I said "Phoenix Stinks" on here they haven't stunk...

Time for you to call out Miami.

« Reply #1254 on: January 16, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm getting concerned that I will soon be in "expecting Brooklyn to get the #1 pick even though I know it's a 25% chance" mode.

not so sure i agree. 25% chance is best any team can have. we can at least pretend, make believe, wish upon a star, enjoy the moment now and have fun.

draft wise, it doesnt get any better than this, so enjoy while you can.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1255 on: January 16, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

simmons might be a great player in the nba. he might be a great passer with serious flaws in shooting and defense and attitude. he might turn out, as some #1s do, as nothing super special.

we just dont know right now. let's wait and see how he does. i expect him to make the sixers better. how could he not???? but how good? let's wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1256 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

not so sure i agree. 25% chance is best any team can have. we can at least pretend, make believe, wish upon a star, enjoy the moment now and have fun.

draft wise, it doesnt get any better than this, so enjoy while you can.  ;D

Sixers were a bit higher than that last year actually. But yes the #1 slot is 25%.

Nets are going to be last though, the C's have the top slot for sure.

« Reply #1257 on: January 17, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
At this point, can the Nets even realistically catch up to anyone other than the Heat?

The Heat are 2.5 games (3 actual wins) up on the Nets;

The Sixers are 5 games up on them (4 actual wins);

And everyone else is 5 full games/wins above the Nets.

Worst case scenario, I'm not even sure that they win 5 more games this season.

I think the Nets have about 10 more wins in them.  It's very tough to see anyone but the Heat catching them at this point, and even that's unlikely.  Although I dont think Philly wins another game this month, which will her people here a little nervous.

I agree.  However, Philly plays in Milwaukee tomorrow afternoon after the Bucks played in Atlanta tonight.  It's the quintessential trap game for Milwaukee.

And you, my friend, receive a TP for your Nostradamusian prediction.

Mike

And a TP back at you. I, of course, bought PowerBall tickets immediately after the game. 😜

« Reply #1258 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Kyle Lowry will not play against the Nets due to rest. Not great news for the pick, but I'd imagine Toronto's still heavily favored. Worst case scenario we pick up a game on the Raps.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #1259 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Kyle Lowry will not play against the Nets due to rest. Not great news for the pick, but I'd imagine Toronto's still heavily favored. Worst case scenario we pick up a game on the Raps.

TP

Any win is a win for the celtics between these two.