Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348378 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Lopez is going to be traded. It would be nonsensical for them to keep him when there is no way they max him after next season (unless they wish to continue as one of the most poorly run teams in sport). No reason for the Celtics to massively overpay, it's a move Brooklyn has to make, and the next best offer would be something like a late first or two from a team whose picks are guaranteed to be in the 20s.

Still not sure why we'd be interested in the player anyway. Doesn't improve our rebounding or provide even close to the dominant paint presence we're looking for. Meanwhile he's going to preside over another 20-something win season. Hard pass.

Agree. He doesn't push us over the top. I'm not giving up a key 1st for him. Maybe our own 2018 and a few other pieces.

My guess is that they could get a better haul for him at the trade deadline than they could today (even though he will be down from 2 years to 1.5), since some team will be desperate, but do they want to risk an injury before that time, which would get them nothing?

Mike

« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Lopez is going to be traded. It would be nonsensical for them to keep him when there is no way they max him after next season (unless they wish to continue as one of the most poorly run teams in sport). No reason for the Celtics to massively overpay, it's a move Brooklyn has to make, and the next best offer would be something like a late first or two from a team whose picks are guaranteed to be in the 20s.

Still not sure why we'd be interested in the player anyway. Doesn't improve our rebounding or provide even close to the dominant paint presence we're looking for. Meanwhile he's going to preside over another 20-something win season. Hard pass.

Agree. He doesn't push us over the top. I'm not giving up a key 1st for him. Maybe our own 2018 and a few other pieces.

My guess is that they could get a better haul for him at the trade deadline than they could today (even though he will be down from 2 years to 1.5), since some team will be desperate, but do they want to risk an injury before that time, which would get them nothing?

Mike

That's the conundrum! I think they should wait though. He seems to be handling his body better now. More so than that it is important for the Nets to not look deeper (even if they are). Leverage will be key for them.

I can certainly see some teams giving up a reasonably good player in return. Someone like Kanter from OKC for example.

I wouldn't want him on this team though, not mobile enough for our system and not good enough to change it

« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2016, 09:54:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Well then...Pacers were just obliterated in the 4th quarter by the nets. In a similar fashion to how they came back against us.

« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So the team most analysts have predicted would be better than us just got destroyed at the end by the worst team in the league. Are we allowed to panick yet or what?
#JKJB

« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
So the team most analysts have predicted would be better than us just got destroyed at the end by the worst team in the league. Are we allowed to panick yet or what?
I guess it's ok to be concerned.  They've certainly looked good these first two games.  But, let's see what happens as teams stop overlooking them and prepare for their style of play, etc..

Their roster is still horrible on paper, so we still have to hope.

« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Nets not bad. Jeremy Lin a solid leader. Very smart player.

« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm all in on trading the pick. They're better than expected. Some of the top prospects seem injury prone (even though Tatum ended up just having a sprain), and there's a ton of guards. We don't need more guards.

2017 pick + Smart/Rozier + 2018 Celtics pick. The baseline for a Boogie trade. Let's get it done.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
The Pacers put together a pathetic 4th quarter.  Similar to ours, but theirs was for basically the entire quarter.  The bench sputtered, didn't score a field goal for over 5 minutes, then the starters were equally as flat when they came back in.  No ball movement.

I'm disappointed with Paul George.  He's far too comfortable settling for outside shots.  He's far too long, skilled, and athletic to be jacking up all those 3's.

Overall I'm not worried about it.  The Nets are still going to suck.

« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I hate Indiana.

Mike

« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Nets are going to make the playoffs.

« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Which analysts said the Pacers would be better? ESPN, 538, Nylon Calculus, Vegas odds, all have the Celtics as the better team.

Looks like I'll be avoiding this thread until around February.

« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2016, 10:16:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Which analysts said the Pacers would be better? ESPN, 538, Nylon Calculus, Vegas odds, all have the Celtics as the better team.

Looks like I'll be avoiding this thread until around February.

I think Sir Charles and his gang last night on TNT

« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A healthy nets team has always been a concern.  Need them to get decimated by injuries like last year.

« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You know it's time to panic, because eddie20 finally removed my warning about Brooklyn from his fanboy signature.  Even he's worried.

« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
A healthy nets team has always been a concern.  Need them to get decimated by injuries like last year.

I don't think it's so much the health (it mattered, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't that big of an issue) as it is the personnel and the coaching changes. Atkinson has them playing hard and tough. Lin is huge for them. The dude nearly had a 20-10-10 triple double! Thad Young's departure might have been a blessing in disguise, as they now can have some stretch bigs who can shoot the 3 ball. They're not good at it lol, but it's clearly a shift in offensive philosophy when even Brook Lopez is shooting 3s.

I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about