Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346748 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The paradox with the Nets is they have no incentive to tank but they have every incentive to trade existing assets.  Brook Lopez is going to be 30 and asking for a max contract before have their own first round pick back and I think they've only got two second round picks through the year 2020.

They need picks and young players with upside and can only get them by trading their veterans.  If you are the Nets, do you tough it out for two more seasons just to deny Boston a better pick or do you take the best deal you can get for Lopez?

Mike
the answer to your question is simple and clear. why punish your own team just to spite another team?

since the draft will not help your team, you ignore it as an option and instead rebuild through trades and free agents.

so they should trade whom you can for what they can to start the rebuild.
How much can you get for Brook Lopez?

I doubt they get a top 10 pick for the guy (or equivalent value in a young player) so I think Lopez as a leader and someone who can keep them resembling an NBA team could be more valuable to them long term than the late Lotto pick he might return.

The Hawks got #12 for a year of Jeff Teague and not taking back any salary.  Lopez at the trade deadline (so 1.5 seasons) is worth at least that.  Especially if the Nets are willing to take back someone who's contract isn't expiring.

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
There's still a chance that team might play itself out of the bottom 5.

Yup, they have no incentive to lose. The coach will do everything he can to win so that has to mean something. I'm going to be happy with a top ten pick tbh. Hard to complain if that is what ends up happening.

I could the Nets trying to pump the trade value of some their vets including Lopez by the trade deadline, and then try to sell them off for draft picks/younger players.  If that happens it could be a complete nosedive for the the 2nd half of the year.

« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i'm worried about this too

They definitely look a little better this year

Plus they won't tank

I'm hoping they trade Lopez while his value is high, but I'm not counting on it

Part of me hopes we trade the picks while the value is high
Just curious...

If removing Lopez from that team would guarantee a bottom 3 record from the Nets, would you move the 2018 Brooklyn pick for Lopez?   

Or are you confident enough in Brooklyn's sucktitude this year regardless of Lopez/don't think Lopez would help us.

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This article mentions Celtics, Bucks, Hornets and Blazers as possible destinations for Lopez. 
If the trade deadline is looming and no one else of significance is available, should we try to trade for him without using the Nets picks.  Say for: Amir, Zeller, Celtics 2018 and Memphis 2019? 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/39899/nba-rumor-central-could-the-nets-trade-brook-lopez-this-season

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Plus they won't tank

Im worried about finishing 2 or 3, not anything higher than that.  The roster is similarly horrible but they do look like they will try hard, for a while at least.  I wouldn't trade this pick in fear that it won't be a great asset.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:37:01 PM by moiso »

« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Plus they won't tank

Im worried about finishing 2 or 3, not anything higher than that.  The roster is similarly horrible but they do like they will try hard, for a while at least.  I wouldn't trade this pick in fear that it won't be a great asset.
Lets keep in mind that during our 2014-2015 playoff run we had one of the least talented rosters in the entire NBA.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2016, 08:04:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Plus they won't tank

Im worried about finishing 2 or 3, not anything higher than that.  The roster is similarly horrible but they do like they will try hard, for a while at least.  I wouldn't trade this pick in fear that it won't be a great asset.
Lets keep in mind that during our 2014-2015 playoff run we had one of the least talented rosters in the entire NBA.
And lets also keep in mind that the nets don't have CBS as their coach. 

The nets had one of the least talented rosters in the NBA for all of last year. It did not seem to help them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Plus they won't tank

And lets also keep in mind that the nets don't have CBS as their coach. 

The nets had one of the least talented rosters in the NBA for all of last year. It did not seem to help them.
no but Kenny Atkinson is well regarded around the league and the mentality of the Nets this time around seems better. It is within the realm of possibility that last year vets like Johnson Jack and Young were frustrated with the ****iness of the team. The 2016-17 nets seem to have bought into the whole play hard every day thing.

Its unlikely but Im not ready to take it to the bank that this is a bottom 3 team.

I think they are the least talented team in the league. Right now I think they are the worst team in the league.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2016, 09:34:29 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I haven't done a good job updating this thread, but there quite honestly wasn't much newsworthy.

Their final roster:

PG: Lin/Vasquez/Whitehead
SG: Foye/Kilpatrick/Harris/LeVert
SF: RHJ/Bogdonovic
PF: Booker/McCullough/Scola/Bennett
C: Lopez/Hamilton

I see a roster that is going to be an absolute disaster defensively.  Bottom 3 in the league.  You won't win many games that way.  I won't say they're a lock to be a bottom 3 team overall, but that roster is downright terrible.

And apparently Foye will miss the game tomorrow with a mild hamstring strain.  LeVert is rehabbing.

« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
this is the Brooklyn nets this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8CpIg2fvU
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Jonathan Isaac winds up being a top 5 pick. This felt like an appropriate place for this (bold?) prediction.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Brooklyn are starting one player that didn't come off the bench last season. I guess two if you count Hollis-Jefferson before he got hurt.

I expect them to trade Lopez at some point.

« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
LOL at the Nets letting Jonathan Simmons through their fingers
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
LOL at the Nets letting Jonathan Simmons through their fingers

Ironically, Sean Marks was the guy in San Antonio who found him.

« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
Lopez is going to be traded. It would be nonsensical for them to keep him when there is no way they max him after next season (unless they wish to continue as one of the most poorly run teams in sport). No reason for the Celtics to massively overpay, it's a move Brooklyn has to make, and the next best offer would be something like a late first or two from a team whose picks are guaranteed to be in the 20s.

Still not sure why we'd be interested in the player anyway. Doesn't improve our rebounding or provide even close to the dominant paint presence we're looking for. Meanwhile he's going to preside over another 20-something win season. Hard pass.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."