Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348155 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Bennett looks like he might actually make contributions this year.  He always had the tools.  He just hadn't put it together.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/10/anthony_bennett_a_brooklyn_net.html
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2016, 12:15:29 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bennett looks like he might actually make contributions this year.  He always had the tools.  He just hadn't put it together.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/10/anthony_bennett_a_brooklyn_net.html

to be fair, it didnt look accidental at all. you can tell it's staged for Shaqtin specifically. just look at his face once he "realizes": "oh, what did i say...." like, im sure it was just a prank
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17873365/nba-power-rankings-preseason-edition

This trade deadline promises to be exciting if Marc Stein is right here..

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17873365/nba-power-rankings-preseason-edition

What specifically are you pointing to with this comment? I didn't really see anything with this link other than a fairly uncontroversial power rankings list.

« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2016, 12:44:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

What specifically are you pointing to with this comment? I didn't really see anything with this link other than a fairly uncontroversial power rankings list.

Brooklyn anchored to the bottom. Value of pick skyrockets if accurate at deadline.

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Brooklyn anchored to the bottom. Value of pick skyrockets if accurate at deadline.

There is no sense trading the pick until the lottery is done.  In a trade it will likely be valued as the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft.  But, if we trade it away as such and then win the lotto, that would be a huge mistake. 

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2016, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There's still a chance that team might play itself out of the bottom 5.   

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i'm worried about this too

They definitely look a little better this year

Plus they won't tank

I'm hoping they trade Lopez while his value is high, but I'm not counting on it

Part of me hopes we trade the picks while the value is high
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Yup, they have no incentive to lose. The coach will do everything he can to win so that has to mean something. I'm going to be happy with a top ten pick tbh. Hard to complain if that is what ends up happening.

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Yup, they have no incentive to lose. The coach will do everything he can to win so that has to mean something. I'm going to be happy with a top ten pick tbh. Hard to complain if that is what ends up happening.
it's like the movie major league

The nets are the Indians, and we're that owner who wants them to lose

Except they already moved the team
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The paradox with the Nets is they have no incentive to tank but they have every incentive to trade existing assets.  Brook Lopez is going to be 30 and asking for a max contract before have their own first round pick back and I think they've only got two second round picks through the year 2020.

They need picks and young players with upside and can only get them by trading their veterans.  If you are the Nets, do you tough it out for two more seasons just to deny Boston a better pick or do you take the best deal you can get for Lopez?

Mike

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
The paradox with the Nets is they have no incentive to tank but they have every incentive to trade existing assets.  Brook Lopez is going to be 30 and asking for a max contract before have their own first round pick back and I think they've only got two second round picks through the year 2020.

They need picks and young players with upside and can only get them by trading their veterans.  If you are the Nets, do you tough it out for two more seasons just to deny Boston a better pick or do you take the best deal you can get for Lopez?

Mike
the answer to your question is simple and clear. why punish your own team just to spite another team?

since the draft will not help your team, you ignore it as an option and instead rebuild through trades and free agents.

so they should trade whom you can for what they can to start the rebuild.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mike
the answer to your question is simple and clear. why punish your own team just to spite another team?

since the draft will not help your team, you ignore it as an option and instead rebuild through trades and free agents.

so they should trade whom you can for what they can to start the rebuild.
How much can you get for Brook Lopez?

I doubt they get a top 10 pick for the guy (or equivalent value in a young player) so I think Lopez as a leader and someone who can keep them resembling an NBA team could be more valuable to them long term than the late Lotto pick he might return.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Do people really forget they benched their best 2 players for the last 7 games of last year? Why do we keep saying "remember they wont tank." They may have not been tanking but they did the same thing as every other bad team last year.