Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346677 times)

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
You know what it is, CelticsBloggers.

It's not an outright pick this time, but the ability to swap picks with the Nets could prove to be another tremendous asset moving forward.  Even though I was confident the Nets would be terrible in 2015-2016, I honestly didn't envision their team finishing 3rd worst in the league.  Bottom 5 maybe, but 3rd worst?  Here's to hoping that the Nets have yet another miserable season.

Salaried Roster for 2016-2017 Season (free agents excluded):
PG: Lin/ Vasquez / Whitehead
SG: Bogdonavic / LeVert / Kilpatrick
SF:  RHJ  / Booker
PF: McCullough / Scola
C: Lopez / Anderson

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Donald Sloan
Sergey Karasev
Henry Sims

Restricted Free Agents:
Markel Brown - QO rescinded
Willie Reed - did not receive QO

Player Option:
Shane Larkin ($1.5 million)
Wayne Ellington ($1.5 million) - opted out of contract
Thomas Robinson ($1.05 million) - opted out of contract

Other Salary Cap Considerations:
Deron Williams ($5.75 million)
Andrea Bargnani ($323k buyout)
Jarrett Jack ($500k guarantee of his $6.3 million salary)
Cap holds - should be minimal per NetsDaily

Projected Salary Cap: $94 million
Estimated Nets cap space: ~$58.1 million
Salary figures are from basketball-reference.com and from http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/5/28/11804786/latest-estimate-for-nets-cap-space-45-3-million

Under Sean Marks, Brooklyn may opt to take a patient approach which could work to our benefit.

The core of the Nets is still weak, and few of their free agents listed above are worth retaining.  If I'm Brooklyn, I keep Markel Brown.  Should come cheap and has potential as a role player.  Kilpatrick was a nice pickup out of the D-League.  He's shown that he can score the ball on a team lacking offense - something the Nets sorely needed from the guard position - but he hasn't proven anything else outside of that yet.

Some things to monitor:

•   The Nets direly need an upgrade at PG.  Who will they bring aboard?   Would Rondo or Conley consider the Nets?
•   Will the Nets trade Lopez and/or Young for future draft picks, or use them as building blocks moving forward? (For now, it sounds like Marks will keep Lopez as a building block)
•   Will they be able to attract any quality players in free agency?  Brooklyn might be a good destination for players looking to re-establish their value in the league, since playing time should be easy to come by. 
•   Will they overpay for mediocre free agent talent - at the possible expense of future flexibility - to put together a respectable team? (I suspect they will not)

It's too early to evaluate, but I'd be shocked if the Nets manage to be a .500 team next season.  Here's to hoping for another great pick.  And hopefully Ainge doesn't trade the rights to swap or the 2018 Nets pick.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:29:44 AM by Redz »

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Of note:

If Boston exercises the right to swap picks with Brooklyn, we will convey our 2017 second rounder unless it falls between 31-45.  Ainge is a shrewd man.  Per RealGM:

2017 second round draft pick from Boston
If Boston exercises its right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2017 1st round pick, then Boston will convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]; this potential pick conveyance is the same as the one described in "2017 first round draft pick from Brooklyn" on Boston Incoming

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
And so it begins again; this should be fun.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
‏@chadfordinsider
How resource poor are the Nets? Virtually every pick in the draft is for sale and I'm still not sure they can get into the first round

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
May this thread bring us Joy and Happiness next season.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Ayyy let's get it!!!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:31 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
 Big bets no whammies Big bets no whammies Big bets no whammies Big bets no whammies Big bets no whammies

Top 2 pick in a draft with 2 blue chip prospects so that I don't need to check this board every 15 seconds please.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So Thad Young has netted the #20 pick. A positive move for Brooklyn but certainly not going to make them better short term so it looks like a win for us!

My only concern is they might be looking to create cap space to make a splash in FA. They aren't an attractive proposition but still...

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Over/under on 16 Brooklyn wins next season?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
My only concern is they might be looking to create cap space to make a splash in FA.

Personally I wouldn’t worry. Which difference-making superstar is going to that team? They have nothing basketball-related to offer any free agent. The best they can do would be to pay the max to someone who isn’t worth the max. Personally I don’t think Prokorov is interested in doing that type of spending any longer, but even if he does, Brooklyn still ends up giving us a high lottery pick in a year.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
This very well could be the worst team in the league next year. Keep in mind that the Sixers are now actively trying to improve under Colangelo, the Lakers will be better adding (presumably) Ingram and who knows in free agency, and that stud core in Minnesota will all be one year older.

That leaves only one other team in the bottom five of last year’s standings besides Brooklyn: the Suns. They could legitimately be a tanking candidate next year, I’d say. But in terms of lottery teams numbered 6-8 you’ve got New Orleans (still have Anthony Davis), New York (actively trying to get better with Rose), Milwaukee (again, solid young core one year older).

Seriously… who else besides Phoenix is going to be worse than Brooklyn next year?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
My only concern is they might be looking to create cap space to make a splash in FA.

Personally I wouldn’t worry. Which difference-making superstar is going to that team? They have nothing basketball-related to offer any free agent. The best they can do would be to pay the max to someone who isn’t worth the max. Personally I don’t think Prokorov is interested in doing that type of spending any longer, but even if he does, Brooklyn still ends up giving us a high lottery pick in a year.

Yeah it's a minor fear but its new management, they're having a clear out so it's a fresh start. For a guy like Jennings it could be attractive as a place to rebuild his career. At the moment it seems like Marks is building from scratch but it could change over the summer

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Updated salary numbers and roster post Thad Young trade.  To my knowledge they're accurate, but I'm no expert on the CBA.  The new estimated salary cap space for the Nets includes the salary for pick #20.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
Keep an eye out for the Nets possibly trading for Charlotte's #22.

The Charlotte Hornets have a problem. They need cap space to sign all their free agents ...or at least be in the mix.  So, points out Adrian Wojnarowski, they are willing to do a salary dump, parting with the 22nd pick in the process.

And both Tim Bontemps and Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer thinks one way to do it might involve trading for Jarrett Jack's barely protected contract. Jack of course is recovering from multiple knee injuries and turns 33 in October.

The Nets would have to take on other contracts in the process.

Sources: Charlotte's offering No. 22 - if team will take contract of Spencer Hawes or Jeremy Lamb. Hornets need space to re-sign free agents
    — Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) June 23, 2016

Why not the Nets, asks Bontemps.

If Charlotte is willing to move the 22nd pick for someone to take on Spencer Hawes or Jeremy Lamb, the Nets have Jarrett Jack. Logical move.
    — Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) June 23, 2016

Makes sense, adds Bonnell.

My buddy @TimBontemps points out that Jarrett Jack's contract is guaranteed for only $500K. Nets possible taker for 22nd pick?
    — Rick Bonnell (@rick_bonnell) June 23, 2016

Indeed, Jack's contract is now $6.3 million, but only $500,000 of it is guaranteed (and if you want, you can stretch that!)  No word yet from the Nets camp, at least according to the Twitterverse.  Of course the night is young.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So are they officially the worst team in the NBA after trading Thad?

Waive Jack, waive Robinson...
My god they'll be awful.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.