Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348108 times)

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Brooklyn have played really well to close the season. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them this summer. I think they will finally trade Lopez, possibly at draft time. They have two picks in this draft, currently 22 and 26. If they could get one more, or a 2018 pick then they'd be in good shape building a young core going forward.
In the summer I expect them to look strongly at guys like KO. Although he's older than the core they'd be building, he should provide them with a relatively cheap 5 man to build around. Maybe he becomes a good trade asset in a few years.

Overall my expectation for them next year remains pick 5-8, which is what I thought they'd be this year. By the time they get to pick again they should be in much better shape going forward

Every Vegas sports book had them dead last in the league going into this year,  and they were right. What made you think they would be better than that?

And I disagree with the 5-8 position next year, I think they'll be bottom-5 again.

A good run at the end when most other teams have mailed it in doesn't erase four months of historically bad basketball.

And they have few avenues to improve. Any free agent worth his salt knows they are a dead-end location.

Well, Brooklyn was able to sign Jeremy Lin who is a solid player "worth his salt". Brooklyn was also able to sign Tyler Johnson to an offer sheet, who is also clearly "worth his salt". Brooklyn would have to overpay a bit again to lure similar players, and it may not behoove them to since they are getting close to being able to keep their own pick finally. But if they go that route, they definitely could acquire some help in the FA market.

Who knows if they will actually trade Lopez or not. They should if they can get good value for him, which would obviously make them a much worse team in the short term. They also could look to trade Lin at some point if someone makes them a good offer.

But until they actually jettison those players, there exists the chance Brooklyn could easily move up in the standings next year. Probable not very much, but enough to avoid conveying another top 4 pick. Had Jeremy Lin been healthy and not missed so much time this year, Brooklyn probably does finish outside the bottom 5. He's been that critical to whatever little success they have had this season.

Personally, I hope they trade Lopez. Doing that would seemingly almost assure them of being a bottom 3 team yet again.

Seriously? You need to go and tell the rest of the NBA GMs ASAP that Lin is such a good player.

Because last I checked he's on his 6th team in 7 years.

And he was what, the 30th-ranked free agent last offseason?

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Brooklyn have played really well to close the season. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them this summer. I think they will finally trade Lopez, possibly at draft time. They have two picks in this draft, currently 22 and 26. If they could get one more, or a 2018 pick then they'd be in good shape building a young core going forward.
In the summer I expect them to look strongly at guys like KO. Although he's older than the core they'd be building, he should provide them with a relatively cheap 5 man to build around. Maybe he becomes a good trade asset in a few years.

Overall my expectation for them next year remains pick 5-8, which is what I thought they'd be this year. By the time they get to pick again they should be in much better shape going forward

Every Vegas sports book had them dead last in the league going into this year,  and they were right. What made you think they would be better than that?

And I disagree with the 5-8 position next year, I think they'll be bottom-5 again.

A good run at the end when most other teams have mailed it in doesn't erase four months of historically bad basketball.

And they have few avenues to improve. Any free agent worth his salt knows they are a dead-end location.

When Lin has been healthy they haven't performed as a bottom 5 team. The way I look at it every year there will be at least one team going into the season at the start of a rebuild (this year was an exception, probably because of the salary cap jump) so they will be challenging BRK for bottom. Then there's a few young teams who fail to live up to expectation (think Magic, NO in years past) and finally there are the teams like the Lakers who mail it in toward the end of the season.

If Brooklyn went into next season with the same roster I wouldn't be concerned. However I expect them to hit on some RFAs this year as teams won't have the luxury of a booming cap. I could easily see them landing someone like KO or Mirotic who would be a huge upgrade at the PF spot, then sign a guy like Porter (although Was should match) or Hardaway Jr.

If they do trade Lopez then some salary is coming back their way, I expect them to aim to get a mid to late first and then a veteran presence at the least. Whilst they get worse on paper I don't think it affects them too much. Trading him to Chicago for his brother and their 1st this year would be a fairly decent return, perhaps as part of a S&T for Mirotic.

It's an uphill battle for them but to ignore the progress they have made as a team this year is being ignorant

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Isn't it  time to rename this thread to:

The Official 2017-2018 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (0-0,  tied for #1 on 4/10)

And also, thank you Brooklyn Nets for the gift that keeps on giving.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

The Official 2017-2018 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (0-0,  tied for #1 on 4/10)

Tied with who? They are 4 games behind Phoenix with 2 to play.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Tied with everybody with 82 games to play.

Vermont Green is suggesting that, with the worst record locked down, we change this to the 2017-18 season thread (although I disagree, we should wait until after the lottery)
I'm bitter.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

When Lin has been healthy they haven't performed as a bottom 5 team. The way I look at it every year there will be at least one team going into the season at the start of a rebuild (this year was an exception, probably because of the salary cap jump) so they will be challenging BRK for bottom. Then there's a few young teams who fail to live up to expectation (think Magic, NO in years past) and finally there are the teams like the Lakers who mail it in toward the end of the season.

If Brooklyn went into next season with the same roster I wouldn't be concerned. However I expect them to hit on some RFAs this year as teams won't have the luxury of a booming cap. I could easily see them landing someone like KO or Mirotic who would be a huge upgrade at the PF spot, then sign a guy like Porter (although Was should match) or Hardaway Jr.

If they do trade Lopez then some salary is coming back their way, I expect them to aim to get a mid to late first and then a veteran presence at the least. Whilst they get worse on paper I don't think it affects them too much. Trading him to Chicago for his brother and their 1st this year would be a fairly decent return, perhaps as part of a S&T for Mirotic.

It's an uphill battle for them but to ignore the progress they have made as a team this year is being ignorant

They are the worst team in the NBA by several games. At some point you just need to call a spade a spade. They've played .600 for one month at the end of the season when a lot of their opponents have quit or are openly tanking... woo. That is a low bar to set. Phoenix and the Laker have played well recently too.

I guess we have different definitions of "progress" and "ignorance"

And injuries are part of the game, a lot of the teams they are playing against have lost players. It all evens out.

BTW i'd love to see them get Mirotic. He's like KO minus the BBIQ. He shoots 41% and is one of the worst defenders in the league. He's also 26 already.

Go get him, Sean Marks!

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Tied with everybody with 82 games to play.

Vermont Green is suggesting that, with the worst record locked down, we change this to the 2017-18 season thread (although I disagree, we should wait until after the lottery)

I don't want to Jinx the lottery but not sure the 2017-2018 Nets team is going to have much impact on the results of the lottery or vice verse. 

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

They will likely get a bit worse when they move Lopez finally. I also expect the other teams like the Lakers , Sixers and Suns to get better because they will actually have high draft picks to add. The Suns will also have Bender back healthy and more experienced, and the Sixers will get Simmons and Embiid back and add a lottery pick or two.

I'm worried about the Suns. I'm very worried about the Kings. I have minor worries about the Knicks. I also have minor worries that the Bulls decide to tank 2017-18 and start the long-awaited rebuild.

And, for the purposes of the 17-18 draft, I'm rooting for the Lakers to keep their pick this year. If they keep their pick this year, it's unprotected next year to Philly. No reason to tank.

Mike

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
What's the likelihood that they trade Lopez before the start of the season? I would assume they'll try like hell, though I probably would have assumed the same thing a year ago. Without Lopez, they'll be significantly worse.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
What's the likelihood that they trade Lopez before the start of the season? I would assume they'll try like hell, though I probably would have assumed the same thing a year ago. Without Lopez, they'll be significantly worse.

High, but it has to be pushing 100% before the trade deadline.

That opinion excludes, of course, the possibility that they have big signings this offseason.

Mike

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How are the Nets doing tonight, oh wait.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Who,are they playing tonight ?

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

The Celtics Varsity Team is beating the Celtics Junior Varsity Team.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

They are playing their beneficiary.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

They are playing their beneficiary.

Us .....Celtics Blog ......say Thank you Brooklin