Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 346715 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Lol training camps and preseason haven't even started yet and we are already at 12 pages!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Wow!! Do we really own their pick, unprotected, again?

Well, not technically. We only have the ability to switch the pick, so we only have one first rounder this year. The dang Steipien rule screwed us over from fleecing them even harder!  :P

Not to mention that we have their first rounder again next year, and that one is outright ours.

They sure look bad on paper but they won't be trying to lose and there's always horrible teams trying to do that so unfortunately I don't think we are a lock at a top 4 pick. It sure seems we have to be a lock for a top 6 though and an extremely likely top 5.

No. I'm as pessimistic as they come and I can't figure out a way in which they are not one of the three worst teams. I've tried, if for no other reason than to satisfy the irrational part of me that even considers jinxes. But they are horrible. They're awful. Even if BL were healthy 82 games, which he won't be, they'll still stink.

Try as a I might, I just can't come up with a way to view them as anything but, "yes, they are that bad."

Mike
Im not as excited as you. I worry about their hustle and coaching. Plus they have a handful of NBA players on that team.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Wow!! Do we really own their pick, unprotected, again?

Well, not technically. We only have the ability to switch the pick, so we only have one first rounder this year. The dang Steipien rule screwed us over from fleecing them even harder!  :P

Not to mention that we have their first rounder again next year, and that one is outright ours.

They sure look bad on paper but they won't be trying to lose and there's always horrible teams trying to do that so unfortunately I don't think we are a lock at a top 4 pick. It sure seems we have to be a lock for a top 6 though and an extremely likely top 5.

No. I'm as pessimistic as they come and I can't figure out a way in which they are not one of the three worst teams. I've tried, if for no other reason than to satisfy the irrational part of me that even considers jinxes. But they are horrible. They're awful. Even if BL were healthy 82 games, which he won't be, they'll still stink.

Try as a I might, I just can't come up with a way to view them as anything but, "yes, they are that bad."

Mike
Im not as excited as you. I worry about their hustle and coaching. Plus they have a handful of NBA players on that team.

Who are the handful Lin and Lopez? Maybe you can say RHJ but he has only played 40 games and is probably a below average starter. 

« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, I'm watching the Nets play against the Heat on NBATV. Not that this Heat team is really any good either, but the Nets look like they're going to compete on many nights and not just lay down for losses.

Lin is one of those players that will always be able to get his own offense, which will keep them in some games itself, and RHJ is surprising me watching him play. They're going to be bad no matter what, but especially after the Simmons injury in Philly, I don't think they'll run away with the number one worst record. It'll be a pretty close race all season long.

I'm kind of hoping we just ultimately trade the pick for someone like Boogie, which will make this season a bit more enjoyable not stressing over every single win by the Nets lol

« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bennett looks like he might actually make contributions this year.  He always had the tools.  He just hadn't put it together. 

« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Bennett looks like he might actually make contributions this year.  He always had the tools.  He just hadn't put it together.

With Embiid now "The Process," Bennett may consider adopting "The Revival" this season.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2016, 10:30:13 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
So, I'm watching the Nets play against the Heat on NBATV. Not that this Heat team is really any good either, but the Nets look like they're going to compete on many nights and not just lay down for losses.

Lin is one of those players that will always be able to get his own offense, which will keep them in some games itself, and RHJ is surprising me watching him play. They're going to be bad no matter what, but especially after the Simmons injury in Philly, I don't think they'll run away with the number one worst record. It'll be a pretty close race all season long.

I'm kind of hoping we just ultimately trade the pick for someone like Boogie, which will make this season a bit more enjoyable not stressing over every single win by the Nets lol

that's the feeling i have about this nets team too. it's almost like a fresh start for them. they're gonna do better than expected, although i still dont think itll matter too much in the grand scheme of things (i'm making an early prediction of some good lottery luck for us this season).

they still lost by 21 though.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I look at that roster and see a whole bunch of guys who can't play defense.

« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2016, 12:51:18 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Celtics should do their part, and beat the Nets in all their confrontations this year.

« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:52 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Celtics should do their part, and beat the Nets in all their confrontations this year.

but you just know we'll split the season series with them lol

speaking of which, we play them on thursday huh? i hope we win. we'll win, right?

maybe we split the preseason series with them too.

« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2016, 01:09:39 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I probably agree with your overall point mostly, but kind of weird to see people stressing in a game where they were down 25+ before the benches were emptied. Am
I missing something? Meanwhile the lakers are in overtime In a game lillard scored 30 (but did not play in 4th or overtime)

« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2016, 01:18:13 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I probably agree with your overall point mostly, but kind of weird to see people stressing in a game where they were down 25+ before the benches were emptied. Am
I missing something? Meanwhile the lakers are in overtime In a game lillard scored 30 (but did not play in 4th or overtime)

They were tied and playing well midway through the third when I made the post. I actually stopped paying attention after that lol

As for the Lakers, I'm not really worried about them. I think they're better than most people give them credit for, and they should win enough to not be a threat to the Nets record.

« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2016, 01:34:03 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm not worried. Every team in the east excluding Philly will be trying to make the playoffs this season (Heck, even Philly could be better than people think). Brooklyn will be seen as a squad teams will use to gain leverage in the playoff race. Brooklyn should be every bit as awful as they were last year, and, like last year, they are a Brook Lopez injury from the absolute worst team in the league.

As for the head-to-head match up with the Nets for this season, remember two things in regards to last season.
1. Every game the Celtics played against the Nets, the Celtics had David Lee on the squad, and at that time, the team was barely hovering over .500 (They were playing at a 50 win pace after they stopped playing D-Lee).
2. Every game the Celtics played against the Nets, the Nets had Thad Young on the squad. That won't be the case this season.

« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2016, 02:19:35 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

They were tied and playing well midway through the third when I made the post. I actually stopped paying attention after that lol

As for the Lakers, I'm not really worried about them. I think they're better than most people give them credit for, and they should win enough to not be a threat to the Nets record.

the Lakers are gonna be scary good in a couple of years. it sucks to say this, but the core they have is very very nice.

Russell looks like the real deal (minus tonight, he stunk it up pretty bad tonight). now that he's been unleashed from the wrath of Byron Scott, hes gonna have a big year, and i wouldnt be surprised to see him average like 20 a game this year.

Clarkson is a good scoring guard, although i also see him as a chucker at times (walton has him as their 6th man right now, not sure if i agree).

Ingram has struggled thus far, but if he pans out as expected, hes also gonna be a good player.

Randle is a double double machine, although i am not a huge fan of his game personally (cant shoot, cant defend, no right hand, often reckless and with tunnel vision).

then theyve got solid complimentary pieces. they picked Zubac i think at 32nd overall this year, hes a big body and hes from croatia too (he actually was Zizic's backup i think for a bit over as Cibona before moving on to Mega Leks), in terms of pure skillset he probably is better than zizic, at least right now. and maybe my favorite laker (if such a thing exists) after D'Angelo russell is Larry Nance Jr. great defender, good rebounder, explosive, good person overall too (battles crohn's disease as well), showed in summer league that he's worked on his jumper and can have a nice pick and pop game with russell.

basically, theyve got a lot of nice young talent (and coach Walton now), and while i dont like all of them a whole ton, I think they rise up the ranks in the west very quickly.

« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2016, 02:36:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

the Lakers are gonna be scary good in a couple of years. it sucks to say this, but the core they have is very very nice.

Russell looks like the real deal (minus tonight, he stunk it up pretty bad tonight). now that he's been unleashed from the wrath of Byron Scott, hes gonna have a big year, and i wouldnt be surprised to see him average like 20 a game this year.

Clarkson is a good scoring guard, although i also see him as a chucker at times (walton has him as their 6th man right now, not sure if i agree).

Ingram has struggled thus far, but if he pans out as expected, hes also gonna be a good player.

Randle is a double double machine, although i am not a huge fan of his game personally (cant shoot, cant defend, no right hand, often reckless and with tunnel vision).

then theyve got solid complimentary pieces. they picked Zubac i think at 32nd overall this year, hes a big body and hes from croatia too (he actually was Zizic's backup i think for a bit over as Cibona before moving on to Mega Leks), in terms of pure skillset he probably is better than zizic, at least right now. and maybe my favorite laker (if such a thing exists) after D'Angelo russell is Larry Nance Jr. great defender, good rebounder, explosive, good person overall too (battles crohn's disease as well), showed in summer league that he's worked on his jumper and can have a nice pick and pop game with russell.

basically, theyve got a lot of nice young talent (and coach Walton now), and while i dont like all of them a whole ton, I think they rise up the ranks in the west very quickly.
eh. Walton is whatever. Sure he led the Warriors to a great record, but Im sure pretty much anyone could have.

Russell looks terrrific but hes got maturity problems. Randle is nice, but he certainly doesnt look like a star. Clarkson is really impressive to me and Ingram's got a lot of bustability.

Im not too worried about them. Us, Minnesota, Detroit, Utah, and Philly all have brighter futures in my opinion.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.