Author Topic: Bulpett:It might be wait until next year  (Read 7342 times)

Re: Bulpett:It might be wait until next year
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not the outcome I wanted but better then just spend because you can.

I would be good with some more two year deals like last year.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
half  you posters must huff glue.   the way you see the Celtics and everyone else sees them is bizarre.  they are irrelevant in the nba right now.    it's always wait till next year because danny ainge has zero pressure on him from management or the fans.   if he would have drafted better this team might have a chance.  god knows how bad he's going to screw up this draft if he can't fleece someone in a trade.   which, teams aren't buying anymore.

I think this logic is more sniffing glue because DA does things differently. There are very few teams that draft and get a guy like Lebron james or Steph Curry for that matter.  Yes some teams do it but even OKC who had a good run of drafting couldn't put it all together.  DA is actually trying to put all the pieces together. He's been drafting at the end of drafts and has been drafting roleplayers. He's hit on some. Missed on others. But more times than not he picks the right guy considering the situation.  Drafting Rozier last year didn't hurt us vs making a bad trade for someone who doesn't get us any closer to a championship. It's not as easy to make trades as you think either. He's made offers for players to get those pieces to make trades etc.

DA is a good GM.  Brad is a good coach. Wyc is a good owner and they are all on the same page trying to win a championship. That's more than a lot of teams can say.

The Celtics were not in position to draft Lebron James or Steph Curry.   There are other ways to do things but the Celtics in ways have to do it this way. 

Besides, having roleplayers on decent contracts is better than overpaying borderline stars and not being able to keep them and seeing them walk away without winning anything ultimately.

Most fans don't even understand what the Celtics are trying to do is more like it. They think we are just going to draft or trade for so and so and it's that simple.  It isn't in a lot of cases.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:27:52 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Name me 3 players in the nba who has won a title or even been in the championship in the last several years.  It's been lebron james, San Antonio and GS and that's it. 

Name me any group of players we could have seemingly put together to compete with those teams since our title run in the last 5 years. 

We had KG, Ray and Pierce as our core. We also had Rondo we had to unload. It's been like a year or so since we disassembled that.

So Ainge was somehow supposed to unload KG, Ray and Pierce and rondo and draft ridiculously well in that time?  We got rid of Rivers and hired Stevens.   You aren't living in reality.

These are the picks we got from that.

It's funny when people think I'm the stupid one. Yeah that's it.  Some fans are completely disrespectful to the amount of work that goes into what Ainge is actually trying to do and has done over the last several years. They have no concept of what that is or what it's like to work for an organization like that.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:42:39 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Not the outcome I wanted but better then just spend because you can.

I would be good with some more two year deals like last year.

Yep. The goal is to be in a position to pounce when the opportunity arises. Not to pounce at whatever is there just because you can, and certainly not to pounce just because fans are restless.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

Online KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Bo you should go become a Knicks fan.  You'd love it.  Spending with no logic or reason.

Also should pick up the redskins for your NFL team  L M A off

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
...which is fine by me.

I mean, I would prefer "fireworks", not only to satisfy my insatiable hunger for instant success, but mainly because I think it fits our timeline better, and I'm not in love with this year's draft, but I prefer no deal over a bad one.

We still have the '17 and '18 BRK picks, that makes three off-seasons. Plenty of time to pull off the "fireworks".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Isn't it always "wait until next year"?

There are only so many superstars likely to become available in one way or another in the next 4-5 years ... Durant, Westbrook, Griffin, George, Cousins, Davis etc.

I expect Ainge to keep the Celts "flexible" year after year in the hopes of chasing one or more of them.

I just wonder what the plan is if a top 10-15 player never becomes available for a pile of middling assets, or ever decides to sign here in free agency.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:49:25 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I just wonder what the plan is if a top 10-15 player never becomes available for a pile of middling assets, or decides to sign here in free agency.

If they sign then the Celtics achieved their goal.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I just wonder what the plan is if a top 10-15 player never becomes available for a pile of middling assets, or decides to sign here in free agency.

Yeah, that's my bad on sentence construction.  I mean if that "never" happens.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Isn't it always "wait until next year"?

There are only so many superstars likely to become available in one way or another in the next 4-5 years ... Durant, Westbrook, Griffin, George, Cousins, Davis etc.

I expect Ainge to keep the Celts "flexible" year after year in the hopes of chasing one or more of them.

I am convinced after being around here for a decade - watching fans stomp off in anger after Al Jefferson, Gerald Green and Rondo were packaged in trades that all immensely benefitted the Celtics - that Celtics Nation, if you will, is replete with fans who don't care about the uniform. They either are hopelessly in love with the perpetual rebuild or all they care about is their favorite player.

Wait until next year is fine with them, because they don't care if next year ever comes. Having grown up with this franchise in the 1960s, when every year was a title, that saddens me. It's an affront to all the banners in the Garden.

Or, all they care about is being right about their favorite player, which is pretty dangerous when your favorite player isn't as good as you think he is.

Sad.

I reconciled myself a while back to the notion that Durant is going to laugh hysterically when he takes his Boston meeting - unless some great deal pops up out of the woodwork in another Woj swing and a miss.

So deals that bring potential all-stars - such as Okafor - are fine with me. I'm even fine with drafting Kris Dunn - but that means that Marcus Smart is likely to go, or Bradley, so I'll be treated to the disappearance of Brickowski and BBall Tim, part deus. It's equal parts sad and hilarious. The Celtic tradition deserves better.

That's OK. Get the Celtics on a quick improvement trajectory. If Okafor doesn't work out, he's a trade chip. The game will come back to the box. It always does.

What isn't OK is drafting long-term project players and - after the owner runs his yap for the umpteenth time about "fireworks," the reality that ownership doesn't really care about a quick improvement trajectory. Players like IT and Crowder, whose careers will be over before Dragan Bender proves he can stand up, let alone be useful, should treat that development this summer as an insult.

If it happens. I doubt it does.
This summer provides that answer, clearly, whether the Wyc apologists want to acknowledge it or not.

JMO.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:04:37 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Then you need to be patient, just like the Sixer fans are in their rebuild.

Yeah, that's my bad on sentence construction.  I mean if that "never" happens.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I agree, Do not spend 'big smoke" in Free Agency on Marginal talent.

If you have the chance to Get Noel or JO for the #3 you pull the trigger.

If that deal is on the table and not made, Ainge and Ownership are fools and are playing the paying fan for fools!

Time to sh!t or get off the f##### pot. Get in the game Ainge!

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
If patience is the right pathway for now, I'm on board.  Have to trust.   But what frustrates me is that the freakin' Lakers are going to complete their 3rd successful tanking year with their 3rd possible future star (while of course opening cap space to fill with a superstar); and the Sixers will continue their tanking run with yet another potential star. Meanwhile, the C's star-power consists only of IT  -- a 5'9" 27yo all-star who will never be more than a top 25 player at best.   

Sadly, the lack of tank appears to have cost this team. 

But non-tank has been the plan, and it's up to Danny to make it work.  I'd rather sooner than later, but I can wait.

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I just wonder what the plan is if a top 10-15 player never becomes available for a pile of middling assets, or ever decides to sign here in free agency.

We can do this by trading the 3 for Okafor and Noel, really, and still improve the team.  Okafor is an offensive upgrade over Sully.   Noel is a big time defensive upgrade.   As long as Jonas and Amir are on those contracts we have some flexibility for the future and we keep some cap space.

We can take a flyer on some of our late picks.  I would be intrigued by Brice Johnson as a big, athletic though an upperclassmen.