Author Topic: Durant to make decision this summer doesn't want to go through FA next year(Rumo  (Read 3991 times)

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I just can't see him going to Golden State though. That would be too crazy for my imagination.

No better place if he wants multiple rings.  Possibly more than the entitled one in the end.

Or not. He has issues with sharing the ball and stupid decision-making/shot selection with Westbrook. How is it going to be anything but exacerbated with Curry and Klay, let alone Green??

Yeah, Durant's not going to want to just get slotted into the Harrison Barnes role. Which means that Klay Thompson probably would. Draymond already gets sensitive about his touches. It's not a guaranteed great situation that is for sure. Even though I think it would be an amazing team, I don't see how it could be greater than the sum of the parts given how talented the individual parts are. And the pressure to win and win big would be immense.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So does anyone else doubt his character now? He's not a flashy guy that wants all of the attention. Rather, this is purely a basketball decision for him, and he only truly cares about winning.

If Westbrook tells Durant that he'll leave (most likely for LA) in 2017, then there's absolutely no way that Durant stays there.

Also, the Golden State Warriors report is based on a Frank Isola rumor, which has traditionally been worth about as much as you me starting a rumor. lol Though them losing the Title keeps the door open slightly for him to go to Golden State, I think he knows better than that. It's not necessarily a great fit due to their being way too many mouths to feed, and it will inevitably harm his reputation/legacy as a top player in the game.

I still think the Celtics and Spurs are the biggest threats right now. I think the Spurs will ultimately settle with Conley, though, because it'll take a little too much maneuvering and cutting to fit Durant in there.

But that doesn't make him a lock to come here. If he doesn't think that we've done enough to make us title contenders with him, then he could very well stay in OKC one more year and just look next year for a permanent home.

I wonder if a Noel/Love frontcourt pairing would be enough to entice him, though I'm still thinking that Horford is ultimately on his list of players that he'd like to play with.
Then why not just sign for 4 years.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If this is true, it's not good news for the Celtics, imo. We probably have a better chance at signing him next year than we do this year.

At this point I'm expecting us to run it back with a similar team to last year, just adding 2 draft picks and 2 short term free agents. If anything more happens than that I'll be elated.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So does anyone else doubt his character now? He's not a flashy guy that wants all of the attention. Rather, this is purely a basketball decision for him, and he only truly cares about winning.

If Westbrook tells Durant that he'll leave (most likely for LA) in 2017, then there's absolutely no way that Durant stays there.

Also, the Golden State Warriors report is based on a Frank Isola rumor, which has traditionally been worth about as much as you me starting a rumor. lol Though them losing the Title keeps the door open slightly for him to go to Golden State, I think he knows better than that. It's not necessarily a great fit due to their being way too many mouths to feed, and it will inevitably harm his reputation/legacy as a top player in the game.

I still think the Celtics and Spurs are the biggest threats right now. I think the Spurs will ultimately settle with Conley, though, because it'll take a little too much maneuvering and cutting to fit Durant in there.

But that doesn't make him a lock to come here. If he doesn't think that we've done enough to make us title contenders with him, then he could very well stay in OKC one more year and just look next year for a permanent home.

I wonder if a Noel/Love frontcourt pairing would be enough to entice him, though I'm still thinking that Horford is ultimately on his list of players that he'd like to play with.

What do you mean? 4 years with OKC? No way that happens if Westbrook says he's leaving in 2017, which virtually everyone thinks will happen.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not good news for us (if true). I've always thought our odds were much better next year, if we improve the team and win 55 games, than this year coming off a first-round exit.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Hope some back channeling stuff is going on. This is one of the cases where it would be nice if the draft was after free agency. Regardless unless Ainge can get better pieces to entice him, next year would probably be the C's best shot at his services. If he's all set to make a decision this year other teams have more to offer.

For real. However, I still think a good trade can get done that would better entice him to come here. I still think we could easily pry Love away from Cleveland without giving up too much, along with already having a standing offer for Noel. Would a lineup of IT, Smart/Crowder, Durant, Love, and Noel convince him to come here? I mean, that's a really good lineup that would be pretty much on par with Cleveland talent-wise, and we'd fit together much better.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
IF this report is true then that is a big boost for our chances. We are a great fit for him and have the flexibility to make serious moves around him, something OKC has not had for a while

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

I just can't see him going to Golden State though. That would be too crazy for my imagination.

No better place if he wants multiple rings.  Possibly more than the entitled one in the end.

Or not. He has issues with sharing the ball and stupid decision-making/shot selection with Westbrook. How is it going to be anything but exacerbated with Curry and Klay, let alone Green??

Golden State moves the ball far more and better than the Thunder, so I don’t see that analogy. Will there be fewer shots, on average, taken per game than with the Thunder, yes.  Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and KG accepted that change and won a championship, and if not for KG’s injury likely would have won more. For years Westbrook was taking more shots than him and it didn’t seem to bother him. It’s a matter of what matters the most to you, personal stats or rings.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Golden State moves the ball far more and better than the Thunder, so I don’t see that analogy. Will there be fewer shots, on average, taken per game than with the Thunder, yes.  Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and KG accepted that change and won a championship, and if not for KG’s injury likely would have won more. For years Westbrook was taking more shots than him and it didn’t seem to bother him. It’s a matter of what matters the most to you, personal stats or rings.

1) All of them were past their prime and came together to win a championship. Curry and Klay already have one, and I doubt they'd be willing to share enough shots that it will take for Durant to be there and be effective.

2) We're now talking about three perennial All-Stars, two of them who have been MVP. And all three are either in their prime or not even reached it yet. To compare that to our Big 3 is a false analogy, especially given that those three are all offense-first players where KG and Paul were more two-way players than that.

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

1) All of them were past their prime and came together to win a championship. Curry and Klay already have one, and I doubt they'd be willing to share enough shots that it will take for Durant to be there and be effective.

2) We're now talking about three perennial All-Stars, two of them who have been MVP. And all three are either in their prime or not even reached it yet. To compare that to our Big 3 is a false analogy, especially given that those three are all offense-first players where KG and Paul were more two-way players than that.

agreed and remember there's also Green who complained about his touches this year.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Age related issues is part of the reason KG, Pierce, and Allen didn't win more than 1 ring.

>>>>
2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Player (Team), 1st Team Votes, 2nd Team Votes, Total
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Rudy Gobert, Utah, 64 (17); Klay Thompson, Golden State, 49 (16); Jae Crowder, Boston, 47 (3); LeBron James, Cleveland, 43 (5); Kyle Lowry,
Stephen Curry, Golden State, 13 (3);

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Not good news for us (if true). I've always thought our odds were much better next year, if we improve the team and win 55 games, than this year coming off a first-round exit.

I still think there's a good (if slim) chance that they can convince him.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

What do you mean? 4 years with OKC? No way that happens if Westbrook says he's leaving in 2017, which virtually everyone thinks will happen.

I assume he meant why wouldn't he just sign four years with whichever team he winds up with, if he really just wants to be done with free agency.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Age related issues is part of the reason KG, Pierce, and Allen didn't win more than 1 ring.

>>>>
2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Player (Team), 1st Team Votes, 2nd Team Votes, Total
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Rudy Gobert, Utah, 64 (17); Klay Thompson, Golden State, 49 (16); Jae Crowder, Boston, 47 (3); LeBron James, Cleveland, 43 (5); Kyle Lowry,
Stephen Curry, Golden State, 13 (3);

Yeah, not sure what that has to do with anything. The fact of the matter is that GS is still probably the best team in basketball without Durant with a two-time, ball-dominant MVP in his prime, a multiple-time All-Star just entering his prime who is high usage/shooting, and a third wheel offensively who already has several times complained about his role in the offense. To try and compare their situation to three veterans past their prime who were each on bad teams coming together to win their first rings together is just bad logic.

Second, nobody was talking about Green being a one-way player, so you can't try and use that in your argument just because it helps you. Here's the quote - "especially given that those three [Durant, Steph, and Klay] are all offense-first players where KG and Paul were more two-way players than that." Klay is the only one of those that you might be able to call a true two-way player. This whole notion that Steph is a good defender due to his steals was rapidly shown as false this postseason when he was absolutely torched by point guards, notably Westbrook and Curry. And though Durant isn't a hole on defense, he's certainly not a top defender, and he's definitely a one-way player.

So, yes, once again, there's no comparison between Steph, Klay, and Durant and KG, Paul, and Ray. KG was an all-time defender at his position; Paul was a true two-way player that was one of the most underrated defenders of his time; Ray was on par with Steph and Durant at being average defenders at best.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I assume he meant why wouldn't he just sign four years with whichever team he winds up with, if he really just wants to be done with free agency.

That just comes down to money, the cap is supposed to go up even more next year so he can sign long term then.  It'll also put him into the 10+ years played category for max contracts, which is a HUGE pay increase
I'm bitter.