Author Topic: Rumor: Hayward wants out of Utah, Jazz looking to deal him  (Read 12783 times)

Re: Rumor: Hayward wants out of Utah, Jazz looking to deal him
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Not buying it. Trusting Stein's sources infinitely more.
This. Hard to believe the OP's report when it says the opposite of basically every other thing I've read about Gordon Hayward.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
This is awesome news! Hayward sees an opportunity with a bunch of teams looking to trade and he wants to capitalize. Unprofessional? Absolutely, but it helps us out a ton.

#3 #16 plus a future first that's not the 2017 and Amir? We are competing against the Suns and they are apparently offering #4 and #14.

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
That's crazy. So Stein's report is wrong then? Also, is Gordan Hayward even that good. I'd rather take my chances at 3 and try to hit on a superstar. You have two more years hopefully in the lottery to hit at least on one player. Jaylen Brown is my guy. Hopefully he can improve into a stud. If not, try again next year.

Gordon Hayward is very good.  Offensively, he's better than Jimmy Butler and Khris Middleton, and is asked to do a ton in the Jazz offense.  The Jazz really haven't had much in the way of point guards in a few years, and so Hayward only has about 30% of his 2-point attempts assisted.  He's also been asked to create opportunities for the rest of his teammates, and has either led or been second in team assists the last few seasons.  In the playoffs, Atlanta stopped us by loading up on IT on defense and betting no one else could step up.  Hayward would completely exploit such a strategy.

Defensively he's probably average.  He generally plays with good defensive effort, but he's not Avery Bradley, and no one will ever confuse the two.  But he's not a liability on that side -- he's just not special.

I would trade #3 for him if he opted into his contract next season.  Otherwise I would not.  He's going to get a big raise in 2017, and while I'm okay with the price he'll command, it will eat into our potential cap flexibility rather significantly, and that matters.  I'm not worried he'd leave in free agency due to his closeness with Stevens.

I like Jaylen Brown too, and I think he's my choice for #3, but if he winds up as good a player as Hayward, it will have been a very successful pick.

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
According to Marc Stein, the Phoenix Suns offered Utah #4 and #13 to get Hayward. (Also adding in matching salary to make it happen)

Like Boston, their offers are getting rebuffed too though. He's untouchable to them (all these articles say different things lol so not trusting them yet)

The report didn't say that Phoenix offered the #4 and #13. It mentioned that Phoenix has those two lottery picks and kind of inferred one or both could be involved. I wouldn't assume that is the current bid.

He wants out, and I'm sure that (works on our favor) trading him out of the Western Conference is ideal...FINALLY a superstar may leave from the West to the East!

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
If we do get Hayward... You guys think Stevens convinces him to sign an extension with the Celtics long term? Assuming we don't get Durant next season...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure I'd trade the #3 for Hayward as long as he came back with the #12 and we were only giving up Johnson and Young to match salary.
We are not getting a high quality player like Hayward just for moving down 9 spots.

High quality but not an All-Star. That's absolutely how you move up in a draft, package players and picks to get the pick you want. Also 9 spots is a huge jump when we are talking 12 to 3.
He easily could have been an all-star, especially if he played in the east. Getting a player of that caliber without giving up the 3rd pick outright isn't happening.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Welcome to Boston Gordon

So why did they reject the Celtics call ?  Unless they didnt and something is nearly complete

To Jazz:  Young, Amir, #3 ,# 35
To Celtics: Hayward

Kinda think that the Jazz were saying that BEFORE today's report from Hayward.
I see this as a lose-lose trade.

Jazz trade away their best player for a pick that may turn out to be no better than Hayward.

Celts get Hayward who will definitely be no better than Hayward, plus the #3 pick.
You don't evaluate trades based on the word "may". There is always uncertainty in both directions. That reasoning would lead to no trades ever.
Disagree.  "may" is always a consideration, it has to be.  No one has a crystal ball that actually works.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
This is awesome news! Hayward sees an opportunity with a bunch of teams looking to trade and he wants to capitalize. Unprofessional? Absolutely, but it helps us out a ton.

#3 #16 plus a future first that's not the 2017 and Amir? We are competing against the Suns and they are apparently offering #4 and #14.

If the Suns are indeed offering 4 & 13, I'm out if I'm the Celtics. I like him, but that's a crazy offer for a guy with one year left.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Either crowder or KO will prob go with the number 3

And we receive Hayward and the #12

Better not be Crowder.

We kind of need the depth at SF.

When Crowder got injured it was pretty clear we were in trouble at that position with a lack of depth.

They play the same position

I would take hayward over crowder

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we do get Hayward... You guys think Stevens convinces him to sign an extension with the Celtics long term? Assuming we don't get Durant next season...

Isnr he aleady locked up for the next 2-3 years?

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Quote from: Jody Genessy
This is not accurate
Quote from: Brian Geltzeiler
Hayward has expressed his unhappiness in Utah and the Jazz are attempting to accommodate him per league sources...

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Pick #3 would have to be included. The whole leagues knows how many picks we have and they have the leverage not us.

How about this trade:

Utah sends Gordon Hayward + Pick #12

Boston sends Amir Johnson + Pick #3 + Avery Bradley

Love AB, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I think there will be a very good player at 12, or possibly package 12 & 16 to move up into top 10.

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
That's crazy. So Stein's report is wrong then? Also, is Gordan Hayward even that good. I'd rather take my chances at 3 and try to hit on a superstar. You have two more years hopefully in the lottery to hit at least on one player. Jaylen Brown is my guy. Hopefully he can improve into a stud. If not, try again next year.

Gordon Hayward is very good.  Offensively, he's better than Jimmy Butler and Khris Middleton, and is asked to do a ton in the Jazz offense.  The Jazz really haven't had much in the way of point guards in a few years, and so Hayward only has about 30% of his 2-point attempts assisted.  He's also been asked to create opportunities for the rest of his teammates, and has either led or been second in team assists the last few seasons.  In the playoffs, Atlanta stopped us by loading up on IT on defense and betting no one else could step up.  Hayward would completely exploit such a strategy.

Defensively he's probably average.  He generally plays with good defensive effort, but he's not Avery Bradley, and no one will ever confuse the two.  But he's not a liability on that side -- he's just not special.

I would trade #3 for him if he opted into his contract next season.  Otherwise I would not.  He's going to get a big raise in 2017, and while I'm okay with the price he'll command, it will eat into our potential cap flexibility rather significantly, and that matters.  I'm not worried he'd leave in free agency due to his closeness with Stevens.

I like Jaylen Brown too, and I think he's my choice for #3, but if he winds up as good a player as Hayward, it will have been a very successful pick.

agreed...he's 6'8 so he's got height to defend to defend the 1-2-or-3

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Isnr he aleady locked up for the next 2-3 years?

No he has two years left BUT player option the second year. If he opts-out he only is here for one year.

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Crowder can and should play the #4 position mor often with Hayward in the fold.

Either crowder or KO will prob go with the number 3

And we receive Hayward and the #12

Better not be Crowder.

They play the same position

I would take hayward over crowder