Author Topic: Trade Idea: BOS <> PHI <> PHX  (Read 991 times)

Trade Idea: BOS <> PHI <> PHX
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:35:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Sixers trade: Noel, Okafor, Pick 24
Sixers receive: Pick 3, Pick 16, Pick 28, Young

Suns trade: Pick 4, Pick 28
Suns receive: Okafor, Pick 24

Celtics trade: Pick 3, Pick 16, Young
Celtics receive: Noel, Pick 4

If the rumors of Philly's obsession with Dunn are true, I think the principles of this deal could have draft day legs. Could someone with cap expertise confirm what else would need to be added to make the numbers work?

Happy to explain how I see it for each team, but bottom line is I think it speaks to each team's short and long term goals. Biggest question is whether Sarver's impatience would cause him to push RMcD towards giving up #4 for Okafor. Otherwise Cs maximize their leverage, and Sixers build around Simmons, Dunn and Embiid.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:44:30 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Trade Idea: BOS <> PHI <> PHX
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:26:01 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
What jumps out to me right away is the Sixers compensation:

Okafor for #3 is fine and reasonable

#24 for #28 and Young is not crazy if you think that Young is a salvageable gamble

Noel for #16 is way off and not happening IMO

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:42:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What jumps out to me right away is the Sixers compensation:

Okafor for #3 is fine and reasonable

#24 for #28 and Young is not crazy if you think that Young is a salvageable gamble

Noel for #16 is way off and not happening IMO

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Despite the ad nauseam discussions on this board to the contrary, consider this very real possibility:

They are not getting #3 for Okafor. They're not getting #3 for Noel either. They desperately want #3. What else do they have to offer? Covington likely ain't gettin' it done. Draft picks? Sorry, we don't need any more of those. And if they trade either for #4 or lower, they may very well miss out on the player they're dying to get at #3.

So, they overpay to get their guy, but recover the 16th pick in the process, not to mention Young... who is a decent flier on a lottery team with few NBA players on the wing. If you want to make it Hunter instead, that's fine too.

On the flip side, do the Colangelos want to miss out on said guy -- Kris Dunn -- then spend the next year trying to trade Noel, Okafor, or both (considering they've been shopping both) for the value they perceive Dunn has? Maybe, maybe not....

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:57:59 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Sixers definitely need more here. We can definitely afford to give up more as well considering we are only moving back one spot in the draft. You could quite easily add KO to the sixers or Rozier and still be getting the better end of the deal.

Philly might be looking to move some bigs but they aren't going to throw them away

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Sixers definitely need more here. We can definitely afford to give up more as well considering we are only moving back one spot in the draft. You could quite easily add KO to the sixers or Rozier and still be getting the better end of the deal.

Philly might be looking to move some bigs but they aren't going to throw them away

I said the 'principles' of the trade. I understand some folks may wish to add some moving parts to the deal to make it work, in their eyes. I happen to think it doesn't require many.

But again -- Sixers want Dunn, Celtics want Bender and Noel, and Phoenix wants NBA-ready frontcourt help. If the Cs pass on Dunn, the Sixers and Suns will almost certainly get a deal done directly. But Boston know this -- and Ainge is an expert at reading the market and creating leverage. For those reasons, I suspect this general framework has been batted around.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I said the 'principles' of the trade. I understand some folks may wish to add some moving parts to the deal to make it work, in their eyes. I happen to think it doesn't require many.

But again -- Sixers want Dunn, Celtics want Bender and Noel, and Phoenix wants NBA-ready frontcourt help. If the Cs pass on Dunn, the Sixers and Suns will almost certainly get a deal done directly. But Boston know this -- and Ainge is an expert at reading the market and creating leverage. For those reasons, I suspect this general framework has been batted around.

To be clear, I think the idea is a good one. I'd be thrilled if we managed to get something like this done. As it stands I think the Suns get pretty fair value, they might ask for a 2nd round pick to "facilitate" if they are being cheeky. We can afford to give up more in my eyes and still be fine with the outcome. We'd probably need Jerebko for salary purposes and add in Rozier. We may have to take Tucker from the Suns so their salary matches too.

Anyway the principle of the trade is a good one, better than the 3 for 4 and 13 swap and better than trading 3 straight up for Noel or Okafor by a long shot. Nice one