GOAT
4 (8.3%)
7 (14.6%)
3 (6.3%)
9 (18.8%)
#5 or Lower (explain where)
25 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Where Does Lebron Rank All Time  (Read 12019 times)

Re: Where Does Lebron Rank All Time
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
LeBron versus Larry Bird

This is a great time to compare the two, since Larry retired after his 13th season in the league, while LeBron just finished his 13th season.

Per game averages:

LeBron

Regular Season - 27.2 point, 6.9 assists, 7.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 0.8 blocks, 8.3 FTA, 74.4% FT, 53.2% EFG
Playoffs - 28 points, 6.8 assists, 8.8 rebounds, 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 9.1 FTA, 74.6% FT, 51.3% EFG

Larry

Regular Season - 24.3 points, 6.3 assists, 10.0 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 0.8 blocks, 5.0 FTA, 88.6% FT, 51.4% EFG
Playoffs - 23.8 points, 6.5 assists, 10.3 rebounds, 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 6.2 FTA, 89% FT, 48.5% EFG

LeBron leads Larry in regular season Win Shares 192.5 to 145.8.  He leads Larry in playoff Win Shares 41.6 to 24.8.

LeBron leads Larry in games played in the regular season, and has played 199 playoff games to Larry's 165. 

After these Finals, I'd say LeBron has at least as many signature performances, especially on a big stage.

I don't think there's any question, LeBron has surpassed Larry Bird.

Not to mention he's equal or better in hardware (same number of rings, one more MVP, one more Finals MVP).

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
its hard to form a consensus with this as previously noted we are also comparing players in different eras

also as the league progresses there are going to be more great players
so it seems ridiculous to try rank all these guys

if i said top 4 - jordan, russell, magic, bird
then people would say what about wilt, kareem, shaq, hakeem, LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, Oscar Robertson etc.
A lot of these guys deserve to be in the conversation and differ stat and accomplishment wise

My opinion is that he's 9th - Jordan, Russell, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bird, Hakeem, Duncan, LeBron
It's hard to beat the top 6 as their careers show for themselves

Hakeem is this high as although he only won 2 championships, he did it with least amount of talent as these other guys and was what I thought was perfect Centre. Despite being shorter than your traditional 7 ft legend C. Hakeem was only 6ft 10 and was able to do everything well. He's the only C to rank top 10 all time in steals and is 1st in blocks. On the offensive end, he had the most fluid best moves for a big man I've ever seen, that made him unstoppable in the post and in mid-range.

Duncan over Lebron just because of that humiliating 2014 finals. I dont mind 2007 because LeBron had no chance on that cavs team. 2013 could have gone either way. LeBron will probably overtake Duncan by the end of his career.

« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
In my top ten but not my top 5.

Jordon
Russell
Bird
Magic
Wilt

rest
Kareem
Lebron
Big O
Shaq
Duncan

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Jordon
Russell
Bird
Magic
Wilt

rest
Kareem
Lebron
Big O
Shaq
Duncan
That's how I see it.  not necessarily in that order but how I'd break out the top 5 and next 5.   I'd have Hakeem and Jerry West knocking on that top 10 door as well.

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
LeBron is obviously very good, but I find it hard to trust anyone's basketball knowledge when they are ready to anoint him towards the top of any all-time great list.

Even if he hasn't been on steroids, it must be wicked awesome to be able to commit fouls at will and not be called on them or look at all the travels he gets away with.

LeBron James is the greatest ball hog of all-time in a game that now emphasizes lazy shooting and overrated players. That's about it.

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I am one of the two people that voted him 3rd.  Interesting.  I have him behind Wilt and MJ. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Jordon
Russell
Bird
Magic
Wilt

rest
Kareem
Lebron
Big O
Shaq
Duncan
That's how I see it.  not necessarily in that order but how I'd break out the top 5 and next 5.   I'd have Hakeem and Jerry West knocking on that top 10 door as well.

I dont think you can have kareem in a group below magic and bird. Different kind of player, but had become pretty overlooked at this point.

I'd have "tiers" of:

Jordan
Russell

Magic
Bird
Kareem
Wilt
Lebron
Duncan

Shaq
Oscar
Hakeem O
Jerry West
Havlicek
KG
Dr. J

Kobe and others.

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Jordon
Russell
Bird
Magic
Wilt

rest
Kareem
Lebron
Big O
Shaq
Duncan

I dont think you can have kareem in a group below magic and bird. Different kind of player, but had become pretty overlooked at this point.

I'd have "tiers" of:

Jordan
Russell

Magic
Bird
Kareem
Wilt
Lebron
Duncan

Shaq
Oscar
Hakeem O
Jerry West
Havlicek
KG
Dr. J

Kobe and others.

I would say all ten of them are in the same tier.