Author Topic: The Celts Should Draft Dunn and Build for 2020  (Read 9147 times)

Re: The Celts Should Draft Dunn and Build for 2020
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Crimson mentioned a group of teams featuring a menagerie of superstars and perennial All Star teammates.

The Celts don't have anybody approaching Kawhi, Aldridge,  Durant, Westbrook, Curry, Draymond, Paul, Kyrie, or LeBron. Nor do they have an obvious path to acquiring such a talent, apart from hitting a home run with one of the BRK picks.

I don't like thinking of team building in such all or nothing terms. At the same time, unless we are going to abandon contending for a title as the primary goal, it's something we need to acknowledge as fans.

Maybe if you don't have a top tier player, the best attitude to have is to want your team to show improvement every year and maximize whatever talent they can put together.

I just can't really get to that headspace. I don't care about winning first round series. And I'm not interested in watching a team that remains "flexible" year after year in the middle while waiting for the next Harden / Garnett trade opportunity.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Crimson mentioned a group of teams featuring a menagerie of superstars and perennial All Star teammates.

The Celts don't have anybody approaching Kawhi, Aldridge,  Durant, Westbrook, Curry, Draymond, Paul, Kyrie, or LeBron. Nor do they have an obvious path to acquiring such a talent, apart from hitting a home run with one of the BRK picks.

I don't like thinking of team building in such all or nothing terms. At the same time, unless we are going to abandon contending for a title as the primary goal, it's something we need to acknowledge as fans.

Maybe if you don't have a top tier player, the best attitude to have is to want your team to show improvement every year and maximize whatever talent they can put together.

I just can't really get to that headspace. I don't care about winning first round series. And I'm not interested in watching a team that remains "flexible" year after year in the middle while waiting for the next Harden / Garnett trade opportunity.

Fair points.

I would also add, however, that there is absolutely nothing in Ainge's draft record to suggest that he can build a champion through the draft. Nothing. If I recall correctly, someone online rated his picks hit or miss and his hit percentage is somewhere around 44 percent. Not good enough.

So the path I'd take is pretty clear: I'd draft Kris Dunn at 3, and then I'd sit down with Philly and others in need of guard help like the Bulls and roll my assets out like a retailer: I've got Kris Dunn. Like him? I've got Marcus Smart. Like him? I've got Avery Bradley. Like him? Pick one and let's see what we can work out that improves my ball club, whether we're talking Jimmy Butler, Okafor, Kevin Love or any other possibility for veteran improvement.

And I do that without caring a whit that fans may consider Player A or Player B their favorite player. None of the above are so talented that they shouldn't be moved for a veteran upgrade. Thank you for nothing, David Stern, for turning the NBA into a league where fans focus on individuals, rather than teams.

Beyond that in this year's draft, I am pessimistic that Ainge is going to land more than one or two more useful players, assuming he uses all eight picks, which he won't.

And then, I make free agent calls that can improve my club as well, like Kevin Durant obviously, but there are too many other options to list that make this team better beyond Durant. I am not at all scared of Ainge using cap space, because he has demonstrated he's FAR more capable of evaluating veteran talent than he is college talent. It isn't close.

And then, you hope that some of the younger core people improve. You can't make unathletic players athletic, but systems and work can improve shooting.

Ainge should do what he does best - go shopping for veteran help - and use the draft picks primarily to get that. While I realize that some fans find the draft more interesting than the games themselves, any attempt to build through the draft is doomed as long as he's the general manager.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:28:11 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Knock this draft out of the park and let's keep this thing rolling toward 2020.  Smart and Crowder can be the "veteran leaders."  If competing for a title is really the goal, aiming to compete when LeBron is in his twilight years is the only smart way to go.
I think we should draft Chriss or Murray and build for 2030 when they will be our veteran leaders. I mean, it's guaranteed that there will be no transcendent players in the NBA at that time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Don't be ridiculous, C's already pressed the reset button like in 2013 and I honestly feel they could be in a much more desolate situation if they were to try and go for broke on a 76erish tank job.

I don't understand this desperation to win banner 18 tomorrow, we've got something brewing here and it smells like a two-way team with the potential #1 defense in the league if the personnel is wisely selected from here on out.

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the cav's are one injury away-lebron has alot of mileage on those legs-i would never wish injury to a baskeball player--

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Dunn is definitely a possibility at #3 and I'd be stoked if we got him.
What's not talked about with Dunn is how much GM's and coaches will look at him as arguably the best two way player in the top 8.

I just wonder if Danny would value Okafor more than Dunn and wonder how badly the 76ers would want Dunn.

I think Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, Hield, Brown and Bender can be stars in this league.

As I said, I think Dunn is the most complete two way player in the draft right now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Don't be ridiculous, C's already pressed the reset button like in 2013 and I honestly feel they could be in a much more desolate situation if they were to try and go for broke on a 76erish tank job.

I don't understand this desperation to win banner 18 tomorrow, we've got something brewing here and it smells like a two-way team with the potential #1 defense in the league if the personnel is wisely selected from here on out.

See, to me it smells like losing in the first or second round for the next 4-5 years and then retooling when Isaiah signs elsewhere for way-too-much at age 30+ and Jae Crowder is 30+ as well.

Again, I'm not suggesting the team should go for a 76ers-esque tankjob.

Rather, I'm saying that instead of trying to make win-now moves to improve the team this summer, the focus should be on building a core group of players that will be hitting their prime three to five years from now, which is when LeBron should finally be slowing down and perhaps the East will be a bit more open.

Look, if the opportunity to sign Durant or trade for Cousins comes along, great.  Go for it.  But failing a move for an All-NBA centerpiece, I think Danny should be aiming for 2020, not trying to maximize what this team does in 2017.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

See, to me it smells like losing in the first or second round for the next 4-5 years and then retooling when Isaiah signs elsewhere for way-too-much at age 30+ and Jae Crowder is 30+ as well.

Rather, I'm saying that instead of trying to make win-now moves to improve the team this summer, the focus should be on building a core group of players that will be hitting their prime three to five years from now, which is when LeBron should finally be slowing down and perhaps the East will be a bit more open.

Look, if the opportunity to sign Durant or trade for Cousins comes along, great.  Go for it.  But failing a move for an All-NBA centerpiece, I think Danny should be aiming for 2020, not trying to maximize what this team does in 2017.

I absolutely think Danny can straddle the fence and do a little of both at the same time.  He can keep building for the future, while putting a very competitive (albeit not likely title contending) team out there for the present.

I happen to think that being competitive in the present also helps significantly in the future.  It will help immensely in 2020, when we are ready to make the leap to contender, that some of our guys entering their primes (or firmly in their primes) are already a bit battle tested in big games.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Draft Jaylen Brown I don't want Dunn.

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
LeBron James is the king of the NBA and we are all witnesses.

What's more, he's shown no signs of slowing down.  In the regular season, yes, but not in the playoffs.  LeBron may only be top 5 in the league during the regular season, but he's the most dangerous player in the playoffs when jumpers stop falling and size combined with speed and strength still trumps all else. 

Not to mention his running mate, Kyrie, who has only begun to build a great resume as a clutch performer and is still very young.

Why go for "fireworks" this summer when all that's likely to get you is a date with LeBron in the 2nd or 3rd round for the next few years?

Unless you've got Durant, Curry, or Kawhi, why bother?

The Celts should take advantage of all of their draft capital this year and go young.

Take Kris Dunn at #3.  Shop Isaiah, Bradley, and Olynyk along with the other picks to try and get a second top 10 pick.

With the rest of the picks, target young players with great physical tools and high upside.  In particular, target guys who project to have substantial physical advantages over the average player at their position.  No more targeting undersized, underathletic players who are "a great value."

Names like Skal Labissiere, Deyonta Davis, Malachi Richardson, Wade Baldwin, Isaiah Cordinier, Chieck Diallo, Chinanu Onuaku, and so on.

Knock this draft out of the park and let's keep this thing rolling toward 2020.  Smart and Crowder can be the "veteran leaders."  If competing for a title is really the goal, aiming to compete when LeBron is in his twilight years is the only smart way to go.

Do you think you might be able to take your love affair with Lebron over to the Cleveland board?? As a die hard Celtics fan and on a Celtics board I would appreciate it.

Credit where it's due.

We just witnessed one of the most outstanding Finals performances in NBA history.

I really wanted the Warriors to win, but Bron earned a title and all of the praise that's coming to him.

Then you just said the Celtics should take a step back even they just did hence why people disagree with you

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Again why should they blow it up? They got flexibility and more draft picks

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Good luck selling tickets on the idea that Ainge is going to draft a champion by 2020. Not happening.

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Good luck selling tickets on the idea that Ainge is going to draft a champion by 2020. Not happening.

Makes zero sense for this Celtics team to wait until 2020.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Makes zero sense for this Celtics team to wait until 2020.

None whatsoever. TP.

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
What would we do for four years?  :o