Author Topic: Would you trade #16 + #23 + #31 + #35 for [bust]?  (Read 4226 times)

Would you trade #16 + #23 + #31 + #35 for [bust]?
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So back in 2006, Ainge and the Celtics had a top #7 pick in the draft.  Their options were perceived weak (despite the fact that Brandon Roy went a pick before and Rudy Gay went a pick after).   Ainge decided that he'd rather take his chances and gamble on a highly touted lotto prospect drafted a couple years prior who had struggled... so he traded the pick for Sebastian Telfair.

We've seen Ainge buy low on abandoned prospects pretty frequently.  Sometimes it works out and the guy gains value on the Celtics.  Sometimes it doesn't work out and the guy remains a bust.  It's the reason why we're seeing so many trade rumors right now surrounding us trading #3 for guys like Jahlil Okafor and Dante Exum.  The idea that the guy has lost trade value and Ainge might rather gamble on his remaining potential over the potential of the guys available to us at #3.

Ever since that Telfair trade, I've wondered every year who the "buy low" prospects might be.  Guys who had struggled so far, but still might have potential.  A couple years ago I wondered if it might be worthwhile to trade for Ben McLemore.  Supposedly, Ainge considered moving the #6 pick for him on draft night.

Last year, I created a couple threads asking if anyone would move #16 for ANthony Bennett or Nik Stauskas.  I personally wasn't pushing for either deal, but I thought it was fair to wonder if one of those guys still had more untapped potential than what was available to us at #16. 

This year,  I'm curious what you guys think.   Are there any recently drafted guys out there who have struggled that might be worth gambling on?   Boston has too many picks.  Consolidating picks in one master prospect might be a worthwhile move.  If we're unable to use #16 + #23 + #32 + #35 to trade up, are there any young players out there you wouldn't mind sending all the picks for and taking our chances.

Big note:   Folks will inevitably gravitate towards players who are already showing great signs like Jabari Parkerl.   Those aren't the type of guys I'm talking about.  Usually when a prospect starts to show his potential, he's no longer a buy low candidate. 

How about someone like Mario Hezonja?  Hezonja was the #5 pick.  People loved him coming into the draft.  He was buried for most of the year and only averaged 6.1 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists.  Unfortunately he started showing great signs towards the end of the year.   Is he still a buy low option or too expensive?   Could you get him for #16 + #23 + #32 + #35?  Would you do it?

If Hezonja is unrealistic what about someone like Noah Vonleh?  He was thought to be a great, but raw prospect when taken 9th two years ago.  He's still only 20 years old.  He's already found himself on a new team.  He averaged 3.6 points, 3.9 rebounds with 42% shooting last season.   He could conceivably still have potential, though.  Is Noah Vonleh worth the gamble for the combined mid-to-late picks?

Who is a buy low candidate you would trade the picks for?

Re: Would you trade #16 + #23 + #31 + #35 for [bust]?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't like Vonleh but I wouldn't mind Hezonja.  In fact I'm actually a big fan.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I dont really see any being available. I suppose Orlando could give up on Hezonja, but dont really anticipate that being the case. THey knew he was a project coming into a crowded rotation.

Vonleh could be had. Not sure how I feel about tho.

I hate to say it, but the biggest buy-low guys out there are probably Jahlil, Embiid and maybe Saric.

Id still throw a pick at McLemore.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I dont really see any being available. I suppose Orlando could give up on Hezonja, but dont really anticipate that being the case. THey knew he was a project coming into a crowded rotation.

I hate to say it, but the biggest buy-low guys out there are probably Jahlil, Embiid and maybe Saric.

I'd be interested in buying Saric's rights.   As with any deal, depending on the price.

I don't think he qualifies as a 'bust' by any stretch yet.  He's simply been a 'stash' to this point.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Hezonja = yes. I like his game as a sweet shooting SF. Orlando wouldn't do this though.
Vonleh = no. Dumb player on both ends.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:07 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Does Kevin Love count now?  ;D

My guys would be Myles Turner, Dario Saric, and possibly Trey Lyles.

Myles Turner (Pacer's Center) is going to explode on the scene big time next year since Ian Mahinimi is probably not going to be resigned and will no longer take Turner's minutes.

Turner only played 22 minutes a game last year but his 'per 36 numbers are great. 16 points, 2 blocks, and 9 rebounds per 36.

He can shoot and excels at defending the rim. The  biggest knock on him is his defense outiside of underneath the basket but I really think Brad could do wonders for this kid. Is he a buy low? Probably not but I'd love for us to work out  trade for him.

-----------------------------------------

Saric doesn't want to come to Philly probably because they are horrible. Maybe the Celtics who are a much better team would convince him to come stateside. It would definitely be a buy low deal for the Celtics since the Sixers could get no value for him if he never plays for them. He'sa SF/PF who can pass and shoot and would be an intriguing trade prospect.

-----------------------------------------------

Trey Lyles is a 6-10 PF from Utah who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds last year n 17 minutes a game. With Derrick Favors being Utah's PF of the future there really isn't much of a use for Lyles on the Jazz. Again, he has decent potential and could probably be had for a mid to late first round pick.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I'd be interested in buying Saric's rights.   As with any deal, depending on the price.

I don't think he qualifies as a 'bust' by any stretch yet.  He's simply been a 'stash' to this point.
for sure. Cant call him a bust.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Myles Turner (Pacer's Center) is going to explode on the scene big time next year since Ian Mahinimi is probably not going to be resigned and will no longer take Turner's minutes.

Turner only played 22 minutes a game last year but his 'per 36 numbers are great. 16 points, 2 blocks, and 9 rebounds per 36.

He can shoot and excels at defending the rim. The  biggest knock on him is his defense outiside of underneath the basket but I really think Brad could do wonders for this kid. Is he a buy low? Probably not but I'd love for us to work out  trade for him.

Saric doesn't want to come to Philly probably because they are horrible. Maybe the Celtics who are a much better team would convince him to come stateside. It would definitely be a buy low deal for the Celtics since the Sixers could get no value for him if he never plays for them. He'sa SF/PF who can pass and shoot and would be an intriguing trade prospect.

Trey Lyles is a 6-10 PF from Utah who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds last year n 17 minutes a game. With Derrick Favors being Utah's PF of the future there really isn't much of a use for Lyles on the Jazz. Again, he has decent potential and could probably be had for a mid to late first round pick.
Leave Myles Turner out of it, I tried to convince everyone and got the "he runs funny". We had our chance and we didn't listen. We didn't listen!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I dont see Lyles or Turner being anywhere close to available.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Dario Šarić would be a boon. I'd love to bring in him and Jan Veselý.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Okafor is the only one that blatantly comes to mind, and is someone I know for a fact can do better. I also think we can get Jabari Parker, and believe he will be knocking down the 3, if we are willing to give IT and possibly AB. Then if Hield drops to #6 and if he really is JJ Redick but bigger, longer, stronger, and quicker then I think he is most getable if we are willing to trade Crowder for the #6 and a future first from the Pelicans.

And next years draft is very good....Dennis Smith Jr and Bam Bam are nasty

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would trade Rozier + 16 + 23 for either Stanley Johnson or Justise Winslow -

I doubt either one of them are available.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:31:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

Leave Myles Turner out of it, I tried to convince everyone and got the "he runs funny". We had our chance and we didn't listen. We didn't listen!!!!!

Kid can play! I just don't know what we'd have to trade that would cause Bird to pull the trigger. Maybe Marcus Smart? Doubt either Danny or Bird would do that though but I think that would be similar value.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 09:33:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dario Šarić would be a boon. I'd love to bring in him and Jan Veselý.
That's an interesting one, because like others said he's not a bust, but hasn't played... But Philly might have SImmons and Embiid slotted in as their franchise bigs and Saric, I believe, is also a PF.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
Okafor is the only one that blatantly comes to mind, and is someone I know for a fact can do better. I also think we can get Jabari Parker, and believe he will be knocking down the 3, if we are willing to give IT and possibly AB. Then if Hield drops to #6 and if he really is JJ Redick but bigger, longer, stronger, and quicker then I think he is most getable if we are willing to trade Crowder for the #6 and a future first from the Pelicans.

And next years draft is very good....Dennis Smith Jr and Bam Bam are nasty

Which is why I absolutely do not want us to trade the 2017 brooklyn right to swap. I think players in the 3-5 range next year could be as good as #1 and #2 this year.