Author Topic: Report: C's/Chicago have discussed trade; Chicago prefers to move Rose  (Read 5953 times)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
https://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/742778796663771136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646295-derrick-rose-trade-rumors-latest-news-buzz-and-speculation-on-bulls-star

So the report about the trade centered around the #3 pick and undisclosed players (has to be Butler) came first, and a little later came the report that they're actively looking for Rose suitors and would prefer to trade him over Butler.

What's this tell you?

For me, it says that the C's and Chicago are close in principle to a deal around Butler for #3, but they're making a last ditch attempt to see if they can get anything for Rose before dealing Butler. Of course you'd like to keep Butler and try to receive anything at all from trading Rose, but Rose's value is pretty low right now. I can't imagine that they'll get the same type of value from a Rose trade as we could give them for a Butler trade.

What do you think?
I've jokingly said this before... if Jimmy Butler is the magic key to acquiring Kevin Durant, the Bulls should just sign Kevin Durant.   If they dump Rose's salary, they will have the cap space to make it happen.  I'm sure a team like Philly or Brooklyn would gladly take a chance on Rose at minimal cost.

Don't underestimate the pull that agents have in these type of moves though. If Durant and/or Butler much prefer Boston to Chicago, be it the organization or coach or roster, or a combo of those reasons, then the agents will make it happen, even if Chicago has the opportunity to dump Rose's deal and open up cap space. Durant's agent can just say, look, he's not signing with you, so either you help out and get value for Butler or I can make your life difficult for a very long time with all of the players I represent in this league.

Ainge knows how to work agents. I think several moves he's made in the past have been to appease agents to some extent when he helped other teams facilitate deals, even the Sheed to Detroit deal that got them a title, and the huge Heat deal when they got Antoine Walker and a bunch of other guys and also won a title.

TP for this point and in stark contrast to Sam Hinkie who played all types of games with agents (no small part of why he's gone).

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
https://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/742778796663771136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646295-derrick-rose-trade-rumors-latest-news-buzz-and-speculation-on-bulls-star

So the report about the trade centered around the #3 pick and undisclosed players (has to be Butler) came first, and a little later came the report that they're actively looking for Rose suitors and would prefer to trade him over Butler.

What's this tell you?

For me, it says that the C's and Chicago are close in principle to a deal around Butler for #3, but they're making a last ditch attempt to see if they can get anything for Rose before dealing Butler. Of course you'd like to keep Butler and try to receive anything at all from trading Rose, but Rose's value is pretty low right now. I can't imagine that they'll get the same type of value from a Rose trade as we could give them for a Butler trade.

What do you think?
I've jokingly said this before... if Jimmy Butler is the magic key to acquiring Kevin Durant, the Bulls should just sign Kevin Durant.   If they dump Rose's salary, they will have the cap space to make it happen.  I'm sure a team like Philly or Brooklyn would gladly take a chance on Rose at minimal cost.

There is more to it then that.  I can't imagine Durant would want to go where Butler is just for the sake of going where Butler is.  He'd want to go to Boston because:

1) He loves the city and the fans (he's already stated this)
2) He loves that the team is competitive, has a bright future
3) He loves that the organisation wants to win and isn't afraid to make deals to get there

I would imagine that the only thing stopping Durant from considering Boston is probably the fact that we are a guy or two away from being good enough to contend (even with him on board) - hence why he'd be happy to come here if we added Butler (or a guy of his caliber). 

He's not likely to consider Chicago because the culture is questionable, the roster is questionable, and they just missed the playoffs...and seem to stuck half way between wanting to rebuild and wanting to compete.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

What's this tell you?

What do you think?

There is more to it then that.  I can't imagine Durant would want to go where Butler is just for the sake of going where Butler is.  He'd want to go to Boston because:

1) He loves the city and the fans (he's already stated this)
2) He loves that the team is competitive, has a bright future
3) He loves that the organisation wants to win and isn't afraid to make deals to get there

I would imagine that the only thing stopping Durant from considering Boston is probably the fact that we are a guy or two away from being good enough to contend (even with him on board) - hence why he'd be happy to come here if we added Butler (or a guy of his caliber). 

He's not likely to consider Chicago because the culture is questionable, the roster is questionable, and they just missed the playoffs...and seem to stuck half way between wanting to rebuild and wanting to compete.

All of what Crim said, but adding:
-we have arguably the best coach in the world. Chicago does not.
-The Bulls have Rose's contract hamstringing them.
-we have better role players to complement Durant currently in place.
-we have cap room for another max player after signing Durant and trading for Butler (Chicago does not due to Rose).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Since this thread is about Rose, I have to ask: What is his appeal at this point? Yes, an expiring contract has some value, but is there anything other than that? In other words, do the Bulls think that they are going to get real value out of him? He has missed 162 games in the last four seasons, or almost exactly 50% of them. Despite his talent, the guy and his contract seem to be an albatross. I would almost be more likely to demand compensation to take him than I would give up assets for him.

Chicago can ask for whatever they want, but do they actually think that they are going to get something decent for him?

Mike

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Since this thread is about Rose, I have to ask: What is his appeal at this point?

None whatsoever.

Rose has negative value in the NBA right now. His stats are so bad that he has less value than a replacement player. The Bulls would be lucky to get a top-55 protected 2nd round pick for him. But there are some here who still get starry eyed by the name rather than evaluate his horrible production on the court.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess the only appeal for Rose right now would be the the hope that he can turn things around from a health standpoint and evolve into a serviceable player who understands his role & limitations and knows that his days as an alpha dog are behind him.

Tall order as things stand right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If Sean Marks is as smart as we think he is, he should take on Rose's contract. He's a league average point guard, who might still have a little bit of MVP in him. The Nets are not acquiring a player with upside like that in any other manner.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I guess the only appeal for Rose right now would be the the hope that he can turn things around from a health standpoint and evolve into a serviceable player who understands his role & limitations and knows that his days as an alpha dog are behind him.

Tall order as things stand right now.

Dude, F-- That! He should just stay worried about Free Agency a year from now, gotta sign for 180 Million this time!

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Sean Marks is as smart as we think he is, he should take on Rose's contract. He's a league average point guard, who might still have a little bit of MVP in him. The Nets are not acquiring a player with upside like that in any other manner.

He's performed at sub-replacement level for three seasons, so he's only league average if that league is the D League.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference