Author Topic: Report: C's/Chicago have discussed trade; Chicago prefers to move Rose  (Read 5945 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
https://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/742778796663771136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646295-derrick-rose-trade-rumors-latest-news-buzz-and-speculation-on-bulls-star

So the report about the trade centered around the #3 pick and undisclosed players (has to be Butler) came first, and a little later came the report that they're actively looking for Rose suitors and would prefer to trade him over Butler.

What's this tell you?

For me, it says that the C's and Chicago are close in principle to a deal around Butler for #3, but they're making a last ditch attempt to see if they can get anything for Rose before dealing Butler. Of course you'd like to keep Butler and try to receive anything at all from trading Rose, but Rose's value is pretty low right now. I can't imagine that they'll get the same type of value from a Rose trade as we could give them for a Butler trade.

What do you think?

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
It makes sense.

If the Bulls are really looking to start fresh, then clearing the way for Dunn (if they pick him at #3) to start by shifting Rose works.

The question is who would want Rose?? Philly is the only team I can think of off the top of my head that needs a PG and can soak up his salary.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think they should either trade both or neither.  Either jump with both feet into a rebuild, or don't do it at all.  If Gasol walks, they'll have about $23 million to add to their team.  I don't think they're getting established talent for Rose, and while they could for Butler, does it make sense to do so if you want to move on from Rose anyway?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For rose, what does it cost them for someone else to pick up the contract?

Or, more likely, near the end of the main FA, a team that missed out but has to spend a lot of money still because they are way under the floor may take the one year flyer on Rose if for nothing else, to try and sell more tickets.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
For rose, what does it cost them for someone else to pick up the contract?

Or, more likely, near the end of the main FA, a team that missed out but has to spend a lot of money still because they are way under the floor may take the one year flyer on Rose if for nothing else, to try and sell more tickets.

New York and Brooklyn come to mind. Both could use a PG on a short deal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'll start to believe all this nonsense when WOJ will post something.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No, they really want to get rid of Rose who is no longer playing anywhere near his salary.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think they should either trade both or neither.  Either jump with both feet into a rebuild, or don't do it at all.  If Gasol walks, they'll have about $23 million to add to their team.  I don't think they're getting established talent for Rose, and while they could for Butler, does it make sense to do so if you want to move on from Rose anyway?

Rose's contract combined with being a bad player makes him difficult to trade.  A legitimate rebuild in Chicago should involve a willingness to bench Rose and start a rookie in his place.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Rose's contract combined with being a bad player makes him difficult to trade.  A legitimate rebuild in Chicago should involve a willingness to bench Rose and start a rookie in his place.

I think there's enough teams desperate enough for a PG to look at him.  Certainly the New York teams.  It's an expiring deal, so if a team with cap space anyway takes a chance on him, there's little harm if you don't overpay.  If he works out, then you keep him around for the future.  The more likely obstacle is that Chicago asks for the moon because he's Derrick Rose, just like they couldn't bear to move Noah last year, even though they needed to.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Just don't see how the two things are related. One has value and an NBA future, one doesn't and his best days are likely behind him.

Feels like Chicago planted this story to try to get folks to start calling about him instead of Butler.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Just don't see how the two things are related. One has value and an NBA future, one doesn't and his best days are likely behind him.

Feels like Chicago planted this story to try to get folks to start calling about him instead of Butler.

Exactly...I think they are inclined to move Butler and they want a complete rebuild but are guaging the market for Rose.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Rose's game has not aged well at all with his injuries.

- LilRip

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Of course they want to move Rose, the problem is they would have to put in the sweetener for someone to take him. What can they offer? Save money is they keep Butler.

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592

I think there's enough teams desperate enough for a PG to look at him.  Certainly the New York teams.  It's an expiring deal, so if a team with cap space anyway takes a chance on him, there's little harm if you don't overpay.  If he works out, then you keep him around for the future.  The more likely obstacle is that Chicago asks for the moon because he's Derrick Rose, just like they couldn't bear to move Noah last year, even though they needed to.

So how do you see a Rose deal working?

Is it a Baron-Davis-to-Cleveland type deal, where Chicago has to give up a pick (#14 this year?)  for somebody (like Brooklyn) to take Rose?

Or does Brooklyn just agree to take him straight up for practically nothing when they can absorb his contract in the summer?

Can Chicago get anything of value in return?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

The thing is, other than a place like Philly, who I doubt would want him anyways, they won't be able to straight salary dump him until after the draft, will they? Like the New York teams won't have room to just trade for him without sending salary back until after the draft or whenever the contracts for 2016 actually end. Correct? When do contracts flip over to the next year and cap space space open up anyways? July 1st?

If so, then they'd probably be more apt to do a Butler trade involving the draft this year to ensure that they get their guy. For example, if Dunn is their man that they're wanting, which everything suggests that's the case, I don't see Boston or Minny taking him without a trade guaranteed. So wouldn't it make sense that they'd wind up trading Butler now to get their guy rather than risk not getting him in case no one wants Rose this summer?