Author Topic: Ainge's master plan  (Read 2553 times)

Ainge's master plan
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
After seeing on Twitter 5 minutes ago that we are in talks with the Bulls centered on the #3 pick for an unnamed player (Butler) I couldn't help but think that this would be the first domino to fall in what I think Ainge's master plan is:

Based on who he's shown interest in before:

IT
Butler
Durant
Love
Whiteside

The trade for butler comes first, and then after the Cavs lose again we offer a package of a future Nets pick (2018) and some young guys for Love. We then sign Whiteside outright, whose defensive skills will compliment Love's offense perfectly. Seeing the foundation in place, Ainge goes hard after Durant. If Durant signs this has to be one of the favorites for a title, but even if he doesn't we should still be the 1 or 2 seed with Crowder at the 3 (and a 2017 draft LOADED with top small forwards).

Edit: According to a few people below it turns out this wouldn't work cap wise (my bad) so feel free to come up with an alternative to this plan!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:21:40 PM by CelticsFan166 »

Re: Ainge's master plan
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Dude that's not happening. Way over the cap too.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Love can't handle being the 3rd fiddle now he'd be the 4th?

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford

I'm not a cap expert but seeing that the salaries would have to match in the Butler trade (AB +Amir most likely) and we have room for 2 max contracts, the only issue would be Love's albatross of a contract. If anyone has a better idea how this would work or knows more about the cap than me please let me know but I don't think we'd go too far over

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Screw love anyway. Just draft Sabonis.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think his Master Plan for this Summer is:

IT
Butler
Crowder
Durant
Pau Gasol

this is actually possible.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I'm not a cap expert but seeing that the salaries would have to match in the Butler trade (AB +Amir most likely) and we have room for 2 max contracts, the only issue would be Love's albatross of a contract. If anyone has a better idea how this would work or knows more about the cap than me please let me know but I don't think we'd go too far over
If you traded and/or cut every single player on the roster and then convinced KD/Whiteside to take something like a combined 1.5 mil under the max, you would be able to fit this starting lineup.

Then the rest of your roster would be vet min players because to bring these guys in youd have to trade or renounce all picks and players.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford

If you traded and/or cut every single player on the roster and then convinced KD/Whiteside to take something like a combined 1.5 mil under the max, you would be able to fit this starting lineup.

Then the rest of your roster would be vet min players because to bring these guys in youd have to trade or renounce all picks and players.
Ok thanks! Guess this lineup wouldn't be realistic, so maybe simply replace Love with someone like Olynyk and it's still a dang good team.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

IT
Butler
Crowder
Durant
Pau Gasol

Heckuva guess. That could definitely be it. If no Durant, Love is an option as well there.

I think he re-ups Amir though, which takes Gasol out, and he adds the combo of Butler/Durant, or Butler/Love.  Most likely to me is Butler/Love (Durant stays in OKC, IMO).

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

IT
Butler
Crowder
Durant
Pau Gasol

DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM Pau Gasol" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO Al Horoford"    ;D
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

IT
Butler
Crowder
Durant
Pau Gasol

Heckuva guess. That could definitely be it. If no Durant, Love is an option as well there.

I think he re-ups Amir though, which takes Gasol out, and he adds the combo of Butler/Durant, or Butler/Love.  Most likely to me is Butler/Love (Durant stays in OKC, IMO).

Amir would be used in the Butler deal for salary match....Gasol only made like $7 mil last season...We could sign some cheap FA's after that...We would still have Bradley off the bench, if Smart is dealt to Chi.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford

IT
Butler
Crowder
Durant
Pau Gasol

Amir would be used in the Butler deal for salary match....Gasol only made like $7 mil last season...We could sign some cheap FA's after that...We would still have Bradley off the bench, if Smart is dealt to Chi.
From everything I've heard it would be 3, Bradley, and Amir for Butler.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
My deal would be:

Smart/Amir/K.O./#3 for Butler....seems like a lot--but it's four quarters for a Dollar.
Chicago could cut Amir if they wanted.

C's then convince Durant to come. Sign P.Gasol...would work salary-wise.

We'd still have:
Crowder
Bradley
Zeller
JJ

Bye bye to Sully and Turner.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
My deal would be:

Smart/Amir/K.O./#3 for Butler....seems like a lot--but it's four quarters for a Dollar.
Chicago could cut Amir if they wanted.

C's then convince Durant to come. Sign P.Gasol...would work salary-wise.

We'd still have:
Crowder
Bradley
Zeller
JJ

Bye bye to Sully and Turner.
If possible I'd much rather resign turner than Zeller.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we are to make a trade for a star on draft night, we will need Amir's/JJ's contracts to match salaries. Ainge was REALLY smart in signing these deals giving the prospective team with which we are trading the right to keep Amir/JJ or just let them walk.

And, I agree, Ainge's master plan is definitely big - it will be interesting to see if he can follow through. He is coming along this year with much more ammo than last.