Author Topic: Sports Talk Vocabulary That Bugs You  (Read 10044 times)

Re: Sports Talk Vocabulary That Bugs You
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Kinda awesome that this thread is in the latest forum topics as well as a thread titled "Its like a chess match"
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I get bugged by the words "Wingspan" and "Measurables" and how those terms are used. Especially when the athlete they are used to describe is Black. I mean, it's only been about 150 years since people would buy other people at auction based on their "Measureables"

The draft kinda carries this weird racial charge for me too. These kids are people and their person-hood is being completely ignored based on their past physical performance and estimated future upside.

http://alphahistory.com/nazigermany/nazi-eugenics/

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Anything with "war" or "warrior."

"Just a winner"

Any time someone says "i dont care what the numbers say, if i need someone to take the last shot im taking kobe."

Yeah, no joke. I'm taking Larry every time.

Not sure if this one counts for this discussion, because I've heard only one person say it, but I loathe it nonetheless—Mark Jackson's "Hand down, man down!"
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I hate it when human beings are called "assets"

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
"He came to play"

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

"Just a winner"

Any time someone says "i dont care what the numbers say, if i need someone to take the last shot im taking kobe."
The WAR phrases bug me too. when a spoiled NBA player is willing to go TO WAR... ::)

This doesn't bug me at all, though I understand it does seem to many others. First of all, sports were developed as mock war. Why not use some of the same terminology and mindset?

Secondly, analogies make the world more relatable and understandable. They aren't meant to be literal. Understanding this makes for a richer life experience (and a more interesting, diverse language).
because it isnt and that is a good thing. other teams are not ISIS. no one is going to die, nor should they.

it isnt war, which intentionally inflicts death, destruction, and damage on huge numbers of human beings. basketball is a sport for entertainment of people. let's not confuse one for the other.

It is a higher function of human beings to be able to make analogies and still not confuse things.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Bang!

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"National Football League" or "football" as a needless adjective, like "you've gotta make football plays if you want to win football games in the National Football league" instead of "you've gotta make plays if you want to win games in the NFL".  Enough with the false gravitas.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
"First time, long time"

Retire it already.

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

"Just a winner"

The WAR phrases bug me too. when a spoiled NBA player is willing to go TO WAR... ::)

This doesn't bug me at all, though I understand it does seem to many others. First of all, sports were developed as mock war. Why not use some of the same terminology and mindset?

Secondly, analogies make the world more relatable and understandable. They aren't meant to be literal. Understanding this makes for a richer life experience (and a more interesting, diverse language).
because it isnt and that is a good thing. other teams are not ISIS. no one is going to die, nor should they.

it isnt war, which intentionally inflicts death, destruction, and damage on huge numbers of human beings. basketball is a sport for entertainment of people. let's not confuse one for the other.

It is a higher function of human beings to be able to make analogies and still not confuse things.
and a less higher function to make bad analogies.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bang!
lol I love bang. I find it hilarious
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

"Just a winner"

and a less higher function to make bad analogies.  ;D

Can you think of a better analogy for sports in general than organized conflict? Again, sports originated as mock war, so you know, keep that in mind as you search for a superior analogy to its actual inspiration  :)

No one is confusing it for war. What do you think about the phrase "fight for the ball" or "battle for position"? Both are violent. Are we confused about if they are really using martial arts to gain possession or missile attacks to control an area on the court? Nope. Language is beautiful because we can describe terrible and wonderful things, and we can express our feelings and motives by using accepted descriptions of those terrible and wonderful things out of context.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
"National Football League" or "football" as a needless adjective, like "you've gotta make football plays if you want to win football games in the National Football league" instead of "you've gotta make plays if you want to win games in the NFL".  Enough with the false gravitas.
This is the one I was thinking of right off the bat.  "He just made a great football play"

'Gave 110 %'. Cliche and impossible.
Yes!  How about simply "Tried harder"
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
TP for this.  I have Phil Simms in my head "he's a good thrower of the football."
Plus, how come every other sport can just say "ball"  and they always have to say the word football in its entirety?  I can't imagine commentators say the whole word baseball, soccerball, or tennis ball every time.   Or even hockey puck instead of just puck.  I get so sick of hearing the word football!

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I hate when players are referred to as though they are one of a set instead of unique people.

Draft dudes are particularly guilty of this, including a Mel Kiper, a Chris Mannix, your Chad Fords, and the Fran Frascillas of the world.