Author Topic: Sports Talk Vocabulary That Bugs You  (Read 10049 times)

Sports Talk Vocabulary That Bugs You
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:23:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Around here I think pretty much all of us spend a lot of our time reading and listening to sports talk and analysis. That kind of discourse tends to involve some common trends in terms of phrases, word choice, and sentence construction.

What are some examples that stand out to you? What bugs you the most?

One that comes to mind for me is the overuse of the word "historical."

Also lots of use of the nonsense phrase "very unique."

Then of course there's the rampant use of passive language, apparently to make normal occurrences sound more momentous.

Finally, one I find myself doing a lot in addition to hearing all the time - - constantly referencing players as "guys," as in, "He's a guy who can really help you on defense."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Sports Talk Vocabulary That Bugs You
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I always like whenever they ask someone like Jay Bilas on draft night what position a guy will play in the pros and he says, "he's a basketball player." ::)

Off the top of my head, I also hate the terms rim protector, floor spacer, basketball iq, can guard multiple positions (which is, often times, completely unsupported by reality), and how a player can play both sides of the ball ::).  Since when does a basketball have sides?  It's a sphere, not a square.  Ugh.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I get bugged by the words "Wingspan" and "Measurables" and how those terms are used. Especially when the athlete they are used to describe is Black. I mean, it's only been about 150 years since people would buy other people at auction based on their "Measureables"

The draft kinda carries this weird racial charge for me too. These kids are people and their person-hood is being completely ignored based on their past physical performance and estimated future upside.

I also don't like the idea of "Sacrificing the body" as something which should be praised. Each athlete's body should be more important than the team or the game. I think that idea is really gross.

That said, I still love the draft and see the importance of physical measurements--I wish that we as fans had more access to the mental/personality side of things which teams use to judge prospects.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
"potential"

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Anything with "war" or "warrior."

"Just a winner"

Any time someone says "i dont care what the numbers say, if i need someone to take the last shot im taking kobe."

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
'Ball Screen(s)' and 'Bully Ball' ::). Since when is exploiting a match up/mismatch in the post akin to any form of bullying?  Lol, no wonder no one plays inside anymore - who would want to have a reputation as a bully in any part of their life?

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 01:45:25 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I also hate 'historical' because they really should use 'historic'.

General sports comments, not just basketball.

'It was a game of two halves'. As games that are played that way always are.

'Gave 110 %'. Cliche and impossible.

Players saying an experience was 'surreal' when the mean amazing.

Anybody arguing that illegal play should have been allowed because the player committing the illegal play - 'wasn't interfering with play'. Anybody on a field or court is interfering with play.

'Taking things one game at a time'. Try doing it any other way.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:44:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I hate the Patriots football weekly guys when they say anything lol. I can't stand it when they call everybody "Jags"

If NFL football players are Jags, than what does that make some idiot commentator.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The "both sides of the ball" one is hilarious when you think about it, Beat LA.   Another similar one is "he left his feet."   Where did he leave them?

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:30 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I get bugged by the words "Wingspan" and "Measurables" and how those terms are used. Especially when the athlete they are used to describe is Black. I mean, it's only been about 150 years since people would buy other people at auction based on their "Measureables"

The draft kinda carries this weird racial charge for me too. These kids are people and their person-hood is being completely ignored based on their past physical performance and estimated future upside.

I also don't like the idea of "Sacrificing the body" as something which should be praised. Each athlete's body should be more important than the team or the game. I think that idea is really gross.

That said, I still love the draft and see the importance of physical measurements--I wish that we as fans had more access to the mental/personality side of things which teams use to judge prospects.
along the same lines, it bugs me when a white player is called "heady" and a black player is called "athletic".

"What a heady play by Dan dickau"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:50:38 AM by GratefulCs »
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

"Just a winner"

Any time someone says "i dont care what the numbers say, if i need someone to take the last shot im taking kobe."
The WAR phrases bug me too. when a spoiled NBA player is willing to go TO WAR... ::)

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

"Just a winner"

The WAR phrases bug me too. when a spoiled NBA player is willing to go TO WAR... ::)

This doesn't bug me at all, though I understand it does seem to many others. First of all, sports were developed as mock war. Why not use some of the same terminology and mindset?

Secondly, analogies make the world more relatable and understandable. They aren't meant to be literal. Understanding this makes for a richer life experience (and a more interesting, diverse language).

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
" they marched down the field" in football.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

"Just a winner"

This doesn't bug me at all, though I understand it does seem to many others. First of all, sports were developed as mock war. Why not use some of the same terminology and mindset?

Secondly, analogies make the world more relatable and understandable. They aren't meant to be literal. Understanding this makes for a richer life experience (and a more interesting, diverse language).
because it isnt and that is a good thing. other teams are not ISIS. no one is going to die, nor should they.

it isnt war, which intentionally inflicts death, destruction, and damage on huge numbers of human beings. basketball is a sport for entertainment of people. let's not confuse one for the other.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
The saying "You can't leave your feet". Your feet leave the ground, you don't leave your feet.
Hate that.
The term upside bothers me also. Isn't that potential?