Author Topic: Rumor: Timberwolves to offer pick number 5 and players for Butler  (Read 11719 times)

Re: Rumor: Timberwolves to offer pick number 5 and players for Butler
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
No chance it's Wiggins....

More likely its lavine plus 5.  But also pekovic or anybody else not named towns , wiggins

Once again Pekovic has negative value.  It would need to be Levine and Dieng plus the #5
Lavine, Dieng and 5 is a HOME RUN for the Wolves.  The only way CHI can even consider this trade is if Wiggins is included, or alternately 2-3 first round picks.  If I'm MN, I'd do Wiggins, filler and 5 for Butler, no questions asked.  Butler's contract of 16, 17, 18M over the next 3 years is such a sweet deal.

Just because I like accuracy, Butler's contract is $18.4-$20.7 mil over the next three years if he's traded.  Still a nice deal, but a bit more than you suggest.
Ahh, thanks.  I didn't realize there was a trade kicker.  Nonetheless, Butler is a clear max player, so you're getting a premium discount for 3 years.

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I doubt they give up wiggins, maybe something like Rubio and #5.

Rubio has negative value so that won't happen.
This is so wrong.

No it's not.  Read what Woj Kyler, Stein and the other experts  say.  He's got a big contract and still hasn't learned how to hit a jumper.  Nobody wants him as a starter.  The Twolves tried to trade him at the deadline and found no takers.  Read the articles.
Correct.  Rubio at 15M IS a net negative for a lot of teams.  You just can't play him alongside so many guys in the league, namely non-shooters.  Rubio's contract is partially a business play.  He was the face of the Wolves for a couple years and he's marketable.  He's a better Jeremy Lin in a way.  Sells tickets and jerseys, but is a coaching nightmare.

Not true at all. Rubio makes the Timberwolves noticeably better. They have played ~.500 ball over the past two years when he plays, and they have been generally abyssal when he doesn't. He's a fantastic defender who has evolved from being a gambler to being a great positional and opportunistic defender. His vision is off the charts, and his three-point jumper has really improved. Rubio's problem is finishing around the basket. He's basically prime Rondo minus the 55%+ inside 3 feet and the freakish ability to absolutely go off.

15mill for Rubio with the rising cap is a bargain.
What?!  Wolves were 26-50 with Rubio last year.  I'm not understanding.

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

This is so wrong.

No it's not.  Read what Woj Kyler, Stein and the other experts  say.  He's got a big contract and still hasn't learned how to hit a jumper.  Nobody wants him as a starter.  The Twolves tried to trade him at the deadline and found no takers.  Read the articles.
Correct.  Rubio at 15M IS a net negative for a lot of teams.  You just can't play him alongside so many guys in the league, namely non-shooters.  Rubio's contract is partially a business play.  He was the face of the Wolves for a couple years and he's marketable.  He's a better Jeremy Lin in a way.  Sells tickets and jerseys, but is a coaching nightmare.

Not true at all. Rubio makes the Timberwolves noticeably better. They have played ~.500 ball over the past two years when he plays, and they have been generally abyssal when he doesn't. He's a fantastic defender who has evolved from being a gambler to being a great positional and opportunistic defender. His vision is off the charts, and his three-point jumper has really improved. Rubio's problem is finishing around the basket. He's basically prime Rondo minus the 55%+ inside 3 feet and the freakish ability to absolutely go off.

My bad, it was a thing from the previous year. The Wolves are still noticeably better with Rubio running the team (although that may have something to do with their only other point guards being Tyus Jones and Andre Miller for a few months). I can guarantee there are some stats to back me up (whether advanced or simple +/-)

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

This is so wrong.

My bad, it was a thing from the previous year. The Wolves are still noticeably better with Rubio running the team (although that may have something to do with their only other point guards being Tyus Jones and Andre Miller for a few months). I can guarantee there are some stats to back me up (whether advanced or simple +/-)
I live in Minneapolis incidentally, and went to about 30 home games this year.  Rubio is all of the things you say. Nice defender, great passer.  But his basketball value is submarined by his shooting.  You literally can't play him in most lineups.  I equate him to Rondo.  If you have Pierce, Allen and Garnett next to him, fine.  Otherwise, coaches will just make you play 4 on 5.  Can you imagine playing him next to Smart, Turner, and Amir Johnson?  Good luck ever scoring.  That's why his value is diminished.

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2016, 11:59:29 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That sucks. They're in a position to crush any offer we make unless we grossly overpay.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 12:04:30 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

More likely its lavine plus 5.  But also pekovic or anybody else not named towns , wiggins

Once again Pekovic has negative value.  It would need to be Levine and Dieng plus the #5
Lavine, Dieng and 5 is a HOME RUN for the Wolves.  The only way CHI can even consider this trade is if Wiggins is included, or alternately 2-3 first round picks.  If I'm MN, I'd do Wiggins, filler and 5 for Butler, no questions asked.  Butler's contract of 16, 17, 18M over the next 3 years is such a sweet deal.

Just because I like accuracy, Butler's contract is $18.4-$20.7 mil over the next three years if he's traded.  Still a nice deal, but a bit more than you suggest.

I read the trade kicker only happens if he is dealt after July 1st...which means draft night is a good time to deal him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 01:03:37 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

You cant. Salaries dont match

Yes you can just add a filler...

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 01:09:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
What players?

I would say Lavine makes the most sense.

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm asking for The #5 pick Lavine, Muhammed and can Pekovic because his contract is up a year early.

Then you can Draft Hield, Murray or Brown. Might be able to get Bender.

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
That sucks. They're in a position to crush any offer we make unless we grossly overpay.

You think so? I don't think so unless one of Wiggins or Towns is on the table, which I'm pretty sure they're not. #5, LaVine and Dieng isn't really a better offer than #3, Smart /Bradley and Olynyk or Rozier. When you add in the fact that we can add mid 1sts, early. 2nds, Rozier (who the bulls love and were gonna take last year, hence his selection at 16), Mickey and especially the future Brooklyn picks I just don't see a way they can top us.

#3, Bradley, Rozier and the 2018 BRK pick easily beats that Minny offer.

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You think so? I don't think so unless one of Wiggins or Towns is on the table, which I'm pretty sure they're not. #5, LaVine and Dieng isn't really a better offer than #3, Smart /Bradley and Olynyk or Rozier. When you add in the fact that we can add mid 1sts, early. 2nds, Rozier (who the bulls love and were gonna take last year, hence his selection at 16), Mickey and especially the future Brooklyn picks I just don't see a way they can top us.

#3, Bradley, Rozier and the 2018 BRK pick easily beats that Minny offer.

Then Minny can have him. No way on future BKN or MEM picks and no reason to include Rozier, either, when they are already getting Bradley and Dunn - they can have Young/Hunter and a mid-2nd rounder. If not, we can continue building our young core - I understand we need to consolidate to get more top talent, but that package should get you Cousins or George.

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Not really. The Cs have the better picks (now and in the future) and the better prospects. If they "crush"our offer then they grossly overpaid. Especially when you consider they're not going to give up Wiggins or Towns.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
If they include Wiggins, they can trump our offer.  If not, we win.

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not if we tell them they can take our offer or we draft Dunn.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It makes less than zero sense that Wiggins would be 'included' in the deal -- totally lopsided, unrealistic trade.

Besides, if that were the case, the rumor would be "Timberwolves willing to give up Wiggins in trade for Butler". He's far more valuable that then #5 pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)