Author Topic: Did the NBA destroy the Olympics  (Read 9390 times)

Did the NBA destroy the Olympics
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:51:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
remember when the Olympic was all about amateur athletes competing for their country with pride and sometimes hope that maybe their performance may spur them onto fame and maybe fortune?

Well, enter the NBA into the Olympics and any pretense of amateurism in the Olympics was erased. The NBA players now consume the Olympics, the basketball is no longer competitive it is only a matter of how much will the USA destroy all comers. The opening ceremonies is now mostly about the NBA players, and do these spoiled NBA players appreciate the Olympics or embody the Olympic spirit? No, they do not. It is all about money for them.

Barkley famously insulted the player from Zaire that was so googly-eyed about playing with the USA that he tried to shake the hands of Barkley. What about the players refusing to show the Reebok emblem on their suits because they had endorsements with NIKE.

Re: Did the NBA destroy the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I remember correctly other teams were already sending their pros. Also our pros have been beat so I'm gonna go with no

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The olympics should be about the best athletes, period.  Why can tennis pros play?

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
If I remember correctly other teams were already sending their pros. Also our pros have been beat so I'm gonna go with no

I was thinking about that,  but I don't recall when  our pros lost. When was that again?

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
remember when the Olympic was all about amateur athletes competing for their country with pride and sometimes hope that maybe their performance may spur them onto fame and maybe fortune?

This was true of us in basketball but many other counties had their version of pros playing.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

This was true of us in basketball but many other counties had their version of pros playing.

I see that we lost in 2004 but partly because some of the NBA stars refused to go because of security concerns after 9/11.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:36:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I see that we lost in 2004 but partly because some of the NBA stars refused to go because of security concerns after 9/11.

The US also failed to win gold in the 2002 and 2006 world championships.  Eventually we will lose our dominant status over the rest of the world and the game will be more exciting for it. 

The rest of the world will catch up faster by competing against the US than they will by being protected against them.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:29:20 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Very nearsighted and america-centric view from OP. You do realize that other countries are sending their Pros as well? You do realize that without Pros, some countries (like ours) wont get to send a competitive team?

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 11:42:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Very nearsighted and america-centric view from OP. You do realize that other countries are sending their Pros as well? You do realize that without Pros, some countries (like ours) wont get to send a competitive team?

So do this, by nature, make yours an anti-American POV?

'Murica!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 12:07:17 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

The US also failed to win gold in the 2002 and 2006 world championships.  Eventually we will lose our dominant status over the rest of the world and the game will be more exciting for it. 

The rest of the world will catch up faster by competing against the US than they will by being protected against them.

Eh, I just don't see that happening, not on an individual country level, that is. We have several main advantages that will keep us squarely at the top: 1) massive country population, 2) massive popularity within the country (much more than other countries, at least), 3) superior programs and opportunities to raise and develop players due to our affluent status and the sport's popularity.

I just don't think there will ever be a single country that could challenge us in basketball due to all of those factors. Hell, I still think that it'll be a long time before Team World could beat Team USA (the 2014 All-Star Rising Stars game notwithstanding).

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Canada will soon take over.
Murray - Joseph
Wiggins - Sauce Castillo
Lyles
Thompson - Powell
KO

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 01:42:05 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Canada will soon take over.
Murray - Joseph
Wiggins - Sauce Castillo
Lyles
Thompson - Powell
KO

My, how the mighty have fallen - don't forget Bennett! ;0)

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 02:47:13 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Did the NHL destroy the Winter Olympics?

Sadly, we have to sit and watch the best players in the world (and, occasionally, Christian Laettner) compete against each other.  It's a shameful day in sports when athletes are allowed to maximize their earning power AND represent their country at the same time.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 04:23:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

So do this, by nature, make yours an anti-American POV?

'Murica!

Of course not. Its not Black or White. Again, not everything is about America. just because I said that his statement is a one sided view doesnt mean I am anti-america. The Olympics is about the world, so to only look at it from a single country's point of view is just plain wrong. Is pointing it out make me anti-american? Other countries do have Pro Leagues fyi. These leagues send their players to these competition. The Philippines for example have 100% of their National team as Pros, same as China. The NBA isn't the only Pro League in the world.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Well, enter the NBA into the Olympics and any pretense of amateurism in the Olympics was erased. The NBA players now consume the Olympics, the basketball is no longer competitive it is only a matter of how much will the USA destroy all comers. The opening ceremonies is now mostly about the NBA players, and do these spoiled NBA players appreciate the Olympics or embody the Olympic spirit? No, they do not. It is all about money for them.

Barkley famously insulted the player from Zaire that was so googly-eyed about playing with the USA that he tried to shake the hands of Barkley. What about the players refusing to show the Reebok emblem on their suits because they had endorsements with NIKE.

I'm only old enough to remember when the Olympics was about money. I do remember thinking differently as a child though, but that is likely my mistake rather than the Olympics somehow losing their way.