Poll

Would you love this offseason plan?

Yes
4 (36.4%)
No
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Poll: How about this offseason plan - Love, Butler, AND Whiteside?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Step 1: Draft night trade with Chicago and Cleveland

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7p5336

Boston: Love, Butler

Cleveland: Amir, Bradley, Pick # 23

Chicago: Crowder, Rozier, Young, Pick # 3

Step 2: Let Sully and Zeller walk. Keep Turner's bird rights w/ cap hold of 4, 453, 163. Keep JJ.

Step 3: Pick Valentine with pick #16.

Step 4: That leaves us with approximately with $69,054,429M  in salary ($60, 460, 266M in actual salaries, $4, 453, 163M in Turner's caphold, let's say $2,500,000M in Valentine contract/hold, and $1,641,000M in cap holds for three remaining player slots.) This leaves us with about $22, 945, 571M in cap space (figuring a $92M cap).

Step 5: Sign Whiteside to the max, which is approximately $21.6M

Step 6: Sign Turner with Bird Rights to 3 Year/$24M contract with remaining $1,345,571M in cap space. (Actually, before signing Turner, we might even be able to sign one of our second round picks if we think it would help us.)

Step 7: Fill out rest of roster utilizing exceptions and veteran minimum contracts.

Roster on opening day without additional roster additions:

PG: IT, Turner
SG: Smart, Hunter
SF: Butler, Valentine
PF: Love, JJ, Mickey
C: Whiteside, KO

That's pretty much a perfect defensive group to surround Love and IT with, and we have much more offensive firepower, about the same amount of perimeter D, and much more rim protection with this group than last year's group. The bench isn't as strong as last year, but it would be bolstered by adding some vet minimum contracts (Martin, Stoudemire, etc.) and whoever we can bring in with cap exceptions.

So what say you - yes or no to this offseason plan?

(Everything look sound, Saltlover? lol I *think* I've accounted for everything this time. I know you'll probably still suggest your route of adding the third max player mid-season, but I like this group and didn't have to gut the roster too bad to fit everyone in.)

Re: Poll: How about this offseason plan - Love, Butler, AND Whiteside?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wouldn't sign Whiteside would try to recruit KD and maybe ship 2018 Nets pick, 31, 35 and pick 16 for Noel instead. That is two mid first and two high seconds for Noel. More than enough imo. Would also go for Crabbe in FA he should be cheaper than Turner.
IT/Smart
Butler/Crabbe
KD/Hunter
Love/JJ/Mickey
Noel/KO

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think that the best route is to trade for 1 star and FA two others. We are giving up far too many assets in the proposed scenario.

A Butler/Crowder combo would be great to see on so many levels, so I wouldn't want to give that up.

If we went the two FA and one trade acquisition route, we preserve far more assets and have far more options.

TP for the thought and work on your idea, though!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I wouldn't sign Whiteside would try to recruit KD and maybe ship 2018 Nets pick, 31, 35 and pick 16 for Noel instead. That is two mid first and two high seconds for Noel. More than enough imo. Would also go for Crabbe in FA he should be cheaper than Turner.
IT/Smart
Butler/Crabbe
KD/Hunter
Love/JJ/Mickey
Noel/KO

Don't have the cap space to sign KD as a free agent in this scenario, unless he took a rather generous discount this year.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't have the cap space to sign KD as a free agent in this scenario, unless he took a rather generous discount this year.

I really think there is almost zero chance of this happening anyways.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I think that the best route is to trade for 1 star and FA two others. We are giving up far too many assets in the proposed scenario.

A Butler/Crowder combo would be great to see on so many levels, so I wouldn't want to give that up.

If we went the two FA and one trade acquisition route, we preserve far more assets and have far more options.

TP for the thought and work on your idea, though!

As Saltlover has laid out in previous posts, though, it's pretty difficult, though not impossible, to go the 1 trade, 2 FA route, especially if you're talking about the route of going two 9-year level max free agents in Durant and Horford. If you go something like Durant and Whiteside, though, it becomes a bit easier due to Whiteside's smaller max contract.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:59:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
IT/Smart
Butler/Crabbe
KD/Hunter
Love/JJ/Mickey
Noel/KO

I would like to try and pry Noel away from the 76ers rather than paying Whiteside, though, because at least he's younger and would have one more year on a rookie-scale contract before having to pay him.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
IT/Smart
Butler/Crabbe
KD/Hunter
Love/JJ/Mickey
Noel/KO

You could move JJ for more cap space and KD is signing a LeBron deal anyways be it any where or in OKC. So a one year discount is nothing.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
We don't have ETs Bird Rights. That takes 3 years. We have his early bird rights, so we could sign him to something like 5 or 6 million a year over the cap.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Don't want Whiteside. A) Head case B) For all his BS (blocked shots), it seems that his team is better defensively with him off the court than with him on it.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
NO Love at all.......