Author Topic: The Young Conundrum  (Read 3416 times)

Re: The Young Conundrum
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Bust

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 07:52:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The only conundrum I can see with James Young is do we add a highly protected 2nd rounder to get rid of him or ask for a highly protected 2nd rounder to get rid of him. That's the only conundrum I can think of pertaining to James Young.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Trade Young for a mid first in next year's draft and call it a day.

Even Billy King and Ted Stepien wouldn't agree to that

This is the reason cement shoes were invented. Just need to give an offer that one GM can't refuse.

Actually, Ranadive may consider without our FO having to commit multiple felonies. In fact, draft Murray, then trade him 2 Cats for 1 (Cousins) -- he'll be one step closer to creating his own UK in the NBA.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:02:16 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 08:11:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The only conundrum I can see with James Young is do we add a highly protected 2nd rounder to get rid of him or ask for a highly protected 2nd rounder to get rid of him. That's the only conundrum I can think of pertaining to James Young.
that seems to be the likeliest 2 options on the table. 

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Young has to be one of the worst misses in Ainge's career, though KO over Giannis is certainly questionable, too.

It kills me that we didn't take Capela with that pick. Imagine where we'd be with Capela on the roster instead of Young, i.e. not really having to worry about paying a defensive rim protector this offseason.
KO was NOT a blown pick. KO is performing fine for his draft position.

I'm not saying it was a blown pick; I'm saying Giannis was the better pick in hindsight. What's weird is the fact that we were heavily connected to Giannis for a long time, then we moved up for KO instead of taking him.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Young has to be one of the worst misses in Ainge's career, though KO over Giannis is certainly questionable, too.

It kills me that we didn't take Capela with that pick. Imagine where we'd be with Capela on the roster instead of Young, i.e. not really having to worry about paying a defensive rim protector this offseason.

I was always really high on Hood and thought earlier on we would have to take him with our first pick (when it was around 9th-10th). Then we got worse and Hood's stock dropped and I was psyched we were getting Smart and Hood.

Fast forward to today and Young blows, while Hood is a productive NBA starter. I realize he doesn't fix our need for a star, but his value has got to be a lot more than Young's.

Needless to say, Capela would have been awesome, too.

I just don't understand why Young can be so good in the D League and so useless on the Cs.

Hood appears to be well on his way to becoming an all star.  However, because his defense isn't on the level of someone like Bradley, Crowder, or Smart, I seriously doubt that he would have gotten any playing time here ::).

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

At least KO is making contributions. The same cannot be said for Young.

KO is one of the better players from that draft. Young over Capela was a way way way bigger mistake.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
KO is also one of the more handsome men of his class. Not a bad pick afaik.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 11:07:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I was always really high on Hood and thought earlier on we would have to take him with our first pick (when it was around 9th-10th). Then we got worse and Hood's stock dropped and I was psyched we were getting Smart and Hood.

Fast forward to today and Young blows, while Hood is a productive NBA starter. I realize he doesn't fix our need for a star, but his value has got to be a lot more than Young's.

I just don't understand why Young can be so good in the D League and so useless on the Cs.

Hood appears to be well on his way to becoming an all star.  However, because his defense isn't on the level of someone like Bradley, Crowder, or Smart, I seriously doubt that he would have gotten any playing time here ::).
Im not sure if thats an accurate statement.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wanted Capela.  Young who?

To be fair, we went for upside. 
To be fair, we skipped on the 'foreign big man' that everyone here seems allergic to drafting.
Also to be fair, although I liked Capela, I had no idea he'd turn out to be this solid of a rim protector this quickly in his career.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Im not sure if thats an accurate statement.

Okay.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

This.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
How long do you give a player labeled a 'project' when he's drafted? He's had 2 years of no production but everyone knew when he was drafted that it was going to take time before we saw anything from him.

This is the first season I'm willing to put some pressure on the kid to start producing. He'll turn 21 in August so he's still young but he's had 2 seasons to learn and we should be seeing some real production from him but I'd like to keep him on through the season to make sure we see what he'll be. After this year, if there's still no growth, then I'll be willing to say he should just be cut.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008