Have you ever dunked a basketball?

Yes
18 (41.9%)
No
14 (32.6%)
Mini hoops count, right?
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Posters of CelticsBlog, are you/were you able to dunk?  (Read 5420 times)

Re: Posters of CelticsBlog, are you/were you able to dunk?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2016, 08:21:37 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm 19 and 6'2.  I can dunk off one step. I'm pretty explosive off two feet but dunking off one foot can be a struggle at times.  I always get high enough to dunk but I miss quite frequently for some reason.  I have to get better at flushing my dunks.  I've been dunked on maybe 3 times and it's embarrassing.

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
5'10". I ran a five minute mile no problem in college, and could dunk on a regulation rim if I was warmed up, and hadn't eaten too recently. I had to grab the rim basically every time, and BARELY got the ball in. But I could do it. Now? lol!   :P Not a chance. And I think a 7 minute mile would be a challenge.

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'm 6' with trex arms and not particularly athletic, but I made it my mission in my early-mid twenties after experiencing the exhilaration of a late bloomer who could finally get results in the gym. When I was 25 I could cheat where I grabbed the rim with my off hand and slammed it with the other, which is stupid but goddddddd I was so proud. I'd love to feel that spry again. Treasure your twenties, guys.

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
5'5"  -- no shot at it.

highest I could ever reach was 9'8" with a good start which with my standing reach of barely 7', was fairly respectable if I do say so myself.

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I used to but the cookies were leaving too many crumbs in the milk so I had to stop.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Still can put it down with two hands at 36 - always way better with two than one. I am 6'5", short arms (6'3.5" wingspan). Could dunk pretty consistently in games on a fast break, but not really over anybody in the half court or anything.

Hoping the long distance running doesn't take away my already average jumping as I age, but I suppose it's bound to happen.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:52:37 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I lacerated my index finger on my left hand in a game in 9th grade when it got stuck on the underside of the rim on a dunk attempt. Suffice it to say psychologically I was always scared to dunk after that. Even at 23 ( now) I could still dunk but I never do. I do the blake griffin layup sometimes (drop the ball in from above the rim)

6'4 (like a hair under 6'4) with a 6'10 wingspan. I never had crazy ups but I didn't really need them.
#JKJB

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Unfortunately not. 5'10"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Unfortunately not :'(
I'm 5'9 and therefore only able to touch the rim with my fingers. One day though, I will pull off a "Nate Robinson" and dunk #PipeDream.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I only dunked once on a 10' hoop. I'm only 5'9 but could really fly. I could dunk a volleyball maybe 40% of the time. Injuries later robbed me of some hops but I could still fly and hang on rim no problem until I was about 36/37.

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am not quite 5'11'' and in high school one day I dunked a baseball with not steps. My gym coach wanted to test me vertical which he did at 35 inches. I wish I could remember if it was a no step vertical or if we got one step. Anyway, I never could dunk.

I recently read that MJ's vertical on a dunk was significantly less then his 46-48 inch reported 'max' vertical and was as low as 41 on a dunk. If so, that makes it easy to see why anyone under 6 feet would have a problem but how do guys like Spud and Nate do it? I know that if I jumped 35 inches with no more then two steps that I could have added at least 4 inches with a run. I've heard of local guys under 6 feet claiming to dunk but just never seen it.

I could also effortlessly jump up and grab the rim with both hands. It's 30 inches to touch.